Family Businesses

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I also feel the pain. I worked for my uncle a big sub contractor for company I work for now for 7 years. He was always good to me and still is and paid fair. I worked for my family's company farm which farms over 2000 acres a year. My grandpa could only pay me 8.50 a hour. I knew right then I needed to do something with my life and go to college. My grandpa says he did it for a reason so "we" as a family would do something better in life. Now my generation of kids in the family still want to go back to the farm and run it. Kinda ironic if ya ask me. We all still love the family farm. MORAL OF THE STORY: Its hard to work for family PERIOD!!!! Stick with it and it can be up and down or good or just a epic fail. If ya can put up with the bs and higher standards that you are held to you will be fine and eventually make out! If ya can't handle it or the pay is shit for what you have to do in my case. Bail and go do something worth while!

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I worked for my dad for 14 years. All the responsibility, low pay crappy hours and constantly on my case about everything, not matter how satisfied my landscape customers were or how much the raved about the projects I did. ( plus I had to drive a FORD 7.3L ;)). Needless to say I finally got the balls to quit 4 years ago. HUGE change in my life. Happier me, more time with kids, the wife can talk to me and I have never been happier, though it still takes my dad a bit to warm up to me at family functions. Good thing we both brew beer or we would have nothing to talk about. Now I work for a great guy, real easy going, good hours, keeps us busy all winter and takes us out for lunch on occasion. Sad part is that his business has destroyed his marriage.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Great topic. Hits very close to home for me. My twin brother and I have worked full time for my fathers business since graduating high school in 02. My dad never has been hands on, ever. He has never had the job site tech knowledge or carpentry skill. Work was mediocre until my brother and I started full time. Our passion and drive to better the quality of work and public appearance of the company has kept it alive through recession and more profitable every year. We compete with about 12 or so other companies in town and only 1 can do similar quality work.

Enter the frustration. My brother and I care so much more about the business than he does. He puts other things first in life and does as little as possible. He makes more than double what we do. As it is a family business we do so much we don't get paid for and it goes unappreciated. That's my biggest beef.

On the plus side... I don't punch a clock as were paid piece work. I go to work when I want, I leave when I want. I take however long of a lunch I want and I go on vacation when I want. My brother and I have our way about a lot of decisions and anymore contractors call us with questions as they know our tech knowledge is far superior to his. The business will be ours pretty soon and it is that fact alone we put up with his issues. All in all... We have it pretty good I think.

I am in the same boat as you. My dad could really careless what happens until it directly affects him. I run the day to day estimate, install, pm jobs, and keep new clients coming in. Trying to keep a level is frustrating I always tell him retire so I can I hire someone who will actually work and be productive. I take pride in all of our work if its 50 stories up or simple window pane. All in all I have it good but I wonder about the grass on the other side more often than not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
I think it's more of a parental thing lecturing us about dropping a bunch of cash into our trucks when you work for them or not. If we didn't drop so much money into our trucks they'd be telling us we need to get out of the house and do something once in awhile and take a vacation. They will find anything to tell you what to do because it's a natural instinct to dictate our lives

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
I work for my dad as a plumber. It's got its pros and cons but overall I'm happy about it. I hope to grow the business someday so that keeps me motivated. Just hard when you get the "bosses kid" thing all the time.

Little do people know I made more money working less hours closer to home at my last job....

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I worked for my dads construction company as a kid, but left for other passions at 17. Growing up watching my dad stress and whatnot over work I knew thats not what I wanted. He/we didn't have a work/home separation. He lives to work and so do I. I knew I would drive myself to the nut house taking over his business. It was always the unspoken plan that I would take over for him. I'm sure its hurts him some that I didn't, but he has never showed it.

I'm much happier being an employee not an employer. The only problem is he taught me right and I'm so driven its only a matter of time before I end up running a company for someone else. Not sure that I want that.

I feel your pain as being held to a higher standard. Man the ass chewing I got at 14 for making sure the guys twice or three times my age stayed on task while my dad went to look at other jobs.:eek:

My dad was pretty easy going as far as my spending was concerned. I'm more fiscally responsible then him. And have been my whole life.:roflmao:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else work for family?? I work at my father's transfer station/ rolloff company and I pretty much manage all the day to day operations. I have friends that give me crap and think I can do whatever I want, come and go as I please, and get way overpaid. While I won't dispute that I might get a little more money than someone outside the family in my same position, I will say that I am held to a higher standard and have to deal with a lot more BS. I pretty much take the fall for anything that happens here, regardless of whose fault it was and I find that everyone else can pencil in any days off they need when I need to explain where I will be each and every second that I'm not in the office. Sorry for the half ass rant but I figured somebody out there must understand where I'm coming from lol.

I should also mention this is truck related because my father knows what I make, and he knows what my truck has into it. He constantly nags me and tells me I should have 100k sitting in the bank for a rainy day, not a piece of shit broken race truck parked in my yard lol

I work with my dad in our electrical and general contracting im taking my test this coming Tuesday to have the journeymans and take over myself I get idiots who work for us and friends that ssay daddy pays my bill I turn in 100s of hours we don't get paid for like bidding work, looking at jobs, fixing trucks whatever it may be. People are stupid bout it and when others screw up and im around I get the ass reaming not them and the higher standard stuff as well which I have no problem with that as it makes you strive to be the best

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Yep. I get the same stuff. I quit going to school for Mechanical Engineering to work for the family company. Since I've started working we've picked up a lot more contacts and the boulder side of the company took off. My Dad leaves me be because he knows I'll get what I need to get done and doesn't have to worry about me at work. My older brother isn't a fan of me because he knows I get paid more because I am more productive for the company. I tell him I'd trade him jobs but he has yet to take me up on it because he knows he can't do it. I end up doing 3-4 people's jobs but it doesn't bother me much. I like relying upon myself. Also since its all family I seem to take everything more personally and have more pride in my work because I feel it will reflect upon myself and everyone else.

This year we have more work then we know what to do with. Usually work fills in as it gets closer to spring but I'll already be busy up until end of August.

But yeah I get the same crap, people think I just sit around and collect a check for doing little to nothing... I've brought a few friends with for a day and they tend to keep their mouth shut after.

I take time off in the winter for myself since a life is non existant in the spring/summer/fall.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I don't work for family but have enjoyed reading y'all's posts about it. Thanks for sharing a personal tidbit. Appreciate it.

Carry on. :D

tripleturbo

Feb 27, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I really don't think working with your dad is all that bad. I really enjoy it, we have an awesome bond and I work with him every day. His company is not as big as others on here but we have 2 part time employees. I really enjoy it, alot of the not arguing comes with a positive attitude towards it and enjoying what you do.

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
I don't work for my dad full time. But I our family does own some commercial rental property that I help keep up for him which isn't to bad. But I can totally relate to the complaining of sinking money into toys parts. As he is the branch manager at the bank I use and watches every penny I spend.

Roll Tide!

outcast

Jan 27, 2014
mo
I farm for my grandpa best job in the world. He's always on me about putting money into my truck, but im just like well someones got to pull the hay trailer and stock trailer cause the powerstroke you got isnt goin to do it :roflmao:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
And don't get me wrong, I love it. I get to see my Dad almost every single day. I grew up not seeing him much at all. 5 days after I was born he flew out every Sunday night till Friday and would be home for the weekend for 10 years straight. He moved the company back to MN because he didn't like working in 15 different states and dealing with all that crap. Same goes for my brother and my Mom since she does the office work and writes my check every week I see them all the time.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I also get crap for working for my grandfather and father here on our ranch. I seem to think that jealously is the best compliment. :D

caseys03duramax

Sep 17, 2011
I work for and partially own the family business. We've had it since 1923. Times got rough the last 2 years so we brought in some new investors. It's hard explaining how to run an auto parts store to a few millionaires that know nothing about it but act like they know it all. I'm 20 and have been working there since i was 13. I pretty much run the day to day and oversee everyone. Oh ya and it's my grandfather, mother and me in one office. Gets pretty heated at times. But we make it work!

cruzinal38

Mar 2, 2014
Hi. Interesting comments. I'm a little bit older than mist of you guys (and gals, if there are any) and I worked for my dad. I was always expected to do a little more and complain a lot less for of my tasks. It wasn't always amiable but we got along ok. What it did do was prepare me for a better work ethic when I had (have) my own business. I can relate to each of your working conditions with your parents, but the bottom line, almost always, is you come out a better person. If you set the foundation right, the rest of the building will stand tall.
You guys are on the right track; stand tall in your working relationships. You will ever regret it. Have a great day and a better tomorrow. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
I work with my two brothers and my Dad for going on 41 years. It is never a picnic, but you pretty much know what to expect from each other and it works out. We all own part of the business but as long as our 87 year old Dad is working every day like he is, you'll always know who the boss is. I feel so lucky to spend so much time with him and listen to a lot of his advice, not always taking it, but respecting him nonetheless.