• Why?

• Waste of Time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I'm creating this post to gauge interest on engine oil cooler kits. These would ideally be offered as bolt-in kits with all lines, hardware, components, harnesses etc to run the fans.

I am estimating somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range using all top shelf components like a Fluidyne or Setrab cooler, precrimped high end lines and so on. I would be doing these with thermostatically controlled sandwich plates and weather tight connectors for everything.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Current brainstormed location is to mount it forward of the fuel cooler on 01-10 trucks and directly to the crossmember on 11-16 trucks on the front side. This allows AirDog lift pump installations to be uneffected on 11-16 trucks.

I am contemplating making a bracket that allows for FASS or AirDog mounting forward of this cooler but that may occur down the road. Most of the lift pump installs I see done by the average consumer are directly following the manuals, of which they all mount outside the frame OR to the bed bolt.

Sandwich plates and a cooler is in route. These won't be cheap but I also want these be top tier quality and to meet every need we have which is as much heat rejection as we can get. Current plan is a large dual pass oil cooler with a 11" SPAL HP paddle fan and a thermostatic sandwich plate. While the thermostatic feature may not be needed for some of those in hotter climates, it has no detriment either.

These would come as complete bolt in kits with the only connections to be made being a keyed source for the temp switch and battery +/-, pre-crimped lines (not DIY AN, less leak risk), and installation of the sandwich plate.

The way I see it I have 2 sandwich plates (01-19 & 20+) and 3 line configurations (RC, EC, CC) to worry about. The rest should all be common.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
How durable are these coolers? Mounting it to the frame an option? I think MikeL or someone was developing an aftermarket fuel cooler for the frame.

My fuel coolers seen a bit of abuse and on one of my company trucks. I actually put a hole through it even with the "skid plate". Long branch bounced up and stabed it. I don't remember if the skid plate is removable in the fuel cooler. Maybe you could remove it and utilize it for the oil cooler.

I like the idea of a well-designed premade kit. And i'm not trying to get you off in the weeds from just an idea.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
How durable are these coolers? Mounting it to the frame an option? I think MikeL or someone was developing an aftermarket fuel cooler for the frame.

My fuel coolers seen a bit of abuse and on one of my company trucks. I actually put a hole through it even with the "skid plate". Long branch bounced up and stabed it. I don't remember if the skid plate is removable in the fuel cooler. Maybe you could remove it and utilize it for the oil cooler.

I like the idea of a well-designed premade kit. And i'm not trying to get you off in the weeds from just an idea.
The cooler I'm looking at is a Fluidyne that is 15x12x3 (7 thick with fan) and is used on many off-road/baja/racing type applications. There are some options I've been looking at to mount parallel to the frame with a smaller cooler (18.5x8x2). The large Fluidyne dual pass is definitely an "overkill" cooler but there is zero downside to it and it's a proven robust cooler that I've used on a few trucks (drag builds/DIYs).

I have the Fluidyne cooler in-route. If it doesn't fit how I want in front of the fuel cooler crossmember it will be returned.

As for mounting, I am either going to mount it to the fuel cooler crossmember or to the frame. Both are going to be considered. While the "screen" I plan on using (reasonably sized heavy gauge mesh) would stop smaller debris, it will not stop a tree/limb but then again I don't think much would either.

I just want to make sure everyone understands these will not be dinky $500 universal kits from like Mishimoto. These will be able to cool/tame oil temps on ANY Duramax truck and last the life of the vehicle. Hell, just between the cooler and sandwich plate we're talking $898 (15x12) to $970 (18.5x8) in retail cost alone. After calling Fragola for premade crimped/tested lines there will be around $250-$300 in lines (12AN crimped swivels).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dozerboy

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Do you really need a -12 line?

I rather would. These trucks move 12-15gpm of oil if I recall my math properly.

With the typical neck-down through the internals of the fitting, I’d rather run the largest hose I can.

There is is $20-40 total increase from -10 to -12 to know the limiting factor is the engine oil pump that makes me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: PureHybrid

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Do you really need a -12 line?
I never saw more than 1psi drop running -10 lines running one of these
In sub zero temps with conventional 15W-40 oil from pump outlet to block inlet.

Personally doing the L5P EOC upgrades before I graft this type of aux EOC on the truck

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I never saw more than 1psi drop running -10 lines running one of these
In sub zero temps with conventional 15W-40 oil from pump outlet to block inlet.

Personally doing the L5P EOC upgrades before I graft this type of aux EOC on the truck
Did you get one yet? I was able to order one with all the supporting parts through my local dealer.

I also have 2 of the 17-19 style kicking around.

Reactions: malibu795

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Did you get one yet? I was able to order one with all the supporting parts through my local dealer.

I also have 2 of the 17-19 style kicking around.
Not yet, outside getting a parts list I haven't done anything yet...though I am getting closer to buying parts for my LMM. Did the responsible adult thing and finishing off 2 bills this month which will free up ~600 a month.

I definitely plan on doing the upgrade, but I don't need it to get it on the road.
Hopefully Christmas comes in September 🤞🤣

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Well the 2020- current L5P EOC are starting to trickle in so hopefully it won't be as much of an issue when your ready. I was able get everything from GM withen a week when I ordered mine a few weeks ago. Some places still show out of stock and I have heard from a few they were waiting on back orders. I didn't have any trouble though.

Reactions: malibu795

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Well the 2020- current L5P EOC are starting to trickle in so hopefully it won't be as much of an issue when your ready. I was able get everything from GM withen a week when I ordered mine a few weeks ago. Some places still show out of stock and I have heard from a few they were waiting on back orders. I didn't have any trouble though.
Replied in my build thread

Reactions: 1FastBrick

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
I actually went with a 2020+ oil cooler on my build and if with after market manifolds wasnt so hard with the engine in the truck I would be trying to test one of these kits.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Between a 2020+ and an external cooler, you guys would be surprised at how well oil temps stay in check when towing heavy in the heat and using more power than stock. I ran both at one point and oil temp never crested 240* iirc. Could be off on that. I do know coolant temp was my only issue at that point lol

The 2020 cooler isn’t the end all, be all for oil temps. Other factors still play a part

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Between a 2020+ and an external cooler, you guys would be surprised at how well oil temps stay in check when towing heavy in the heat and using more power than stock. I ran both at one point and oil temp never crested 240* iirc. Could be off on that. I do know coolant temp was my only issue at that point lol

The 2020 cooler isn’t the end all, be all for oil temps. Other factors still play a part
How is your rig working out with the extra stuff removed and the L5P Oil cooler?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How is your rig working out with the extra stuff removed and the L5P Oil cooler?

Have not towed heavy yet with it but it’s like it would have been before all the additional coolers.

Realistically I don’t want to be towing heavy in the summer with it. I’ve even considered just putting a stock rad in to make the truck more “factory”. I know, sounds dumb when it’s a compound turbo dual fueler built motor

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Have not towed heavy yet with it but it’s like it would have been before all the additional coolers.

Realistically I don’t want to be towing heavy in the summer with it. I’ve even considered just putting a stock rad in to make the truck more “factory”. I know, sounds dumb when it’s a compound turbo dual fueler built motor
Not going to Lie, It does sound Dumb!!! :ROFLMAO:

I was hoping that custom Ron Davis unit was sorted out. I really like there stuff. Been years since I have delt with them but it was always quality!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not going to Lie, It does sound Dumb!!! :ROFLMAO:

I was hoping that custom Ron Davis unit was sorted out. I really like there stuff. Been years since I have delt with them but it was always quality!

Oh it’s been fine and leak free. I just don’t have a need to have it in the truck.

I’m getting to the point I want this thing back “original” to an extent. Might as well do it while I can still get some OE parts