EFILive Cummins 2006+ 5.9L & 6.7L BBR

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
I think if EFI Live comes out for all of the years the CR was put in a Dodge or it can change the tuning enough to allow only 2 injection events for the newer trucks the Dmaxes are going to have their hands full. The 6.7 motor is easily adaptable to the 03-04 ecm's and injectors already so the displacement field is already leveled. The Dmax heads do flow a good amount more but that can be leveled with more boost like what they have been doing for years on Cummins motors. The siamese bores on the 6.7 makes for a stronger block as well and it takes a lot to break a 5.9 block. I think the Dmax block and cranks will be the next major hurdles in the coming years and billet main caps with 4 bolt mains wont help that failure.

mattpopp

Oct 30, 2009
I think if EFI Live comes out for all of the years the CR was put in a Dodge or it can change the tuning enough to allow only 2 injection events for the newer trucks the Dmaxes are going to have their hands full. The 6.7 motor is easily adaptable to the 03-04 ecm's and injectors already so the displacement field is already leveled. The Dmax heads do flow a good amount more but that can be leveled with more boost like what they have been doing for years on Cummins motors. The siamese bores on the 6.7 makes for a stronger block as well and it takes a lot to break a 5.9 block. I think the Dmax block and cranks will be the next major hurdles in the coming years and billet main caps with 4 bolt mains wont help that failure.

It will probably just be the 06 and newer cummins. Because they switched to a CAN Bus system in 06, the earlier trucks used a SCI system and I don't think the EFI can support it. The 6.7 will fail after 1000hp. The greater angle on the rods from the longer stroke adds alot of stress to it

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I stopped by Banks shop for the first time a few years ago. They did not know me from Jack. In fact, I had PPE stickers on my truck and I was an "EFILive" guy, and they knew that.

Gale and his crew spent 4 hours showing me around their shop. They were all very excited about what they were working on, and showed me intimate details about their racing engines and trucks. Did you know they ran a VNT charger for awhile on their Cummins racer? Many others report the same experience.

Now, compare that to this: http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62881&highlight=Scheid+tour+shop&page=3

Understand that it is expressly forbidden on that site to say anything negative about certain shops, so there are perhaps many others who just kept silent after reading it. I will admit I'm stunned they did not delete the thread like usual when the wrong shops are put into a bad light.

So claims that Banks "is a joke" and Cummins shops are Holy is only based on internet gossip, not real life. Get out in the world more, and you'll find out.

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
It will probably just be the 06 and newer cummins. Because they switched to a CAN Bus system in 06, the earlier trucks used a SCI system and I don't think the EFI can support it. The 6.7 will fail after 1000hp. The greater angle on the rods from the longer stroke adds alot of stress to it

The same billet rods for a 5.9 work for a 6.7 ;). If nothing else you can run a 5.9 crank and drop to around 396cu in.

The stand alone controllers and/or if Marco does come out with user controlled tuning the older trucks will come right up with the rest.

mattpopp

Oct 30, 2009
So claims that Banks "is a joke" and Cummins shops are Holy is only based on internet gossip, not real life. Get out in the world more, and you'll find out.

Who said the Cummins shops are holey???? The guy that works on my truck is Duramax guy that started as a Cummins guy.

My personal feelings about Banks should not bother you or anybody else. So I don't see the problem. You want to protect the Holey Banks name that is fine.

The only reason I signed up on here was to answer some questions about the 6.7/68RFE and to point out the Duramax thinking of us Cummins guys could be said about anybody or anything. Being a Cummins guy I had to through in some BS in there but yall took it to heart, yall took it way to personal. I see now that there is some sensitive feelings here and I apologize if I hurt yours or anybody elses feelings. But once you attack me I will fight back. But enough is enough.

I don't know about you but I love to learn about the other brand of trucks. I like to know what makes them go. Its pretty obvious that a Duramax is cheaper to build up to a reliable 500hp then a Cummins is. But to say CumminGs guys are idiots and Duramax Guys are perfect is beyond me. We have one goal in mind, why can't you enjoy what the other guy has to offer and BS about it along the way????

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
So far everything is complete speculation in this thread. Well other than EFILive's V2 hardware has successfully read a Dodge Cummins ECM.

So all we can go by is history:

Most of what was "impossible" 3 years ago is now possible.

Where will we be in 3 more years?

Start listing more "impossibilities" today and all I can be sure of is that the list will look different in 3 years.

mattpopp

Oct 30, 2009
The same billet rods for a 5.9 work for a 6.7 ;). If nothing else you can run a 5.9 crank and drop to around 396cu in.

The stand alone controllers and/or if Marco does come out with user controlled tuning the older trucks will come right up with the rest.

Thing is I would not want to drop down to the 5.9 CR crank as that extra mass and more stroke gives us much more torque then a 5.9. Stock bottom end is maxed at 1000hp but that is not to say you could not use billet rod and have it balanced. REB's 6.7 made 646hp/1612ftlbs. That is a crazy spread from hp to Torque. Another guy did just over 700hp and something like 1700ftlbs. The Torque on the 6.7's are just awesome. So I am not really sure if you need to build such a high hp 6.7 to make it very fast.

mattpopp

Oct 30, 2009
So far everything is complete speculation in this thread. Well other than EFILive's V2 hardware has successfully read a Dodge Cummins ECM.

So all we can go by is history:

Most of what was "impossible" 3 years ago is now possible.

Where will we be in 3 more years?

Start listing more "impossibilities" today and all I can be sure of is that the list will look different in 3 years.

I can agree with that. But you missed one part about the EFI live. The enhanced tuning is in BETA testing.

from there forum
Just in time for the SEMA Show, EFILive is pleased to announce Cummins 2006+ BBR (Black Box Reading). At present this software enhancement is in restricted BETA only.

So the Black Box Reading will be going on sell soon for those that want to log what the ECU is doing while racing, sled pull, dyno runs, or whatever. But they BETA EFILive testing already on the road.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
...My personal feelings about Banks should not bother you or anybody else. So I don't see the problem. You want to protect the Holey Banks name that is fine...

If your opinion is important enough to post it where thousands of people can read it, then you should step up.

Tell us what the Banks guys did to you personally or what you personally observed at a public event that would warrant your hate?

I can say something like, I do not like Bullydog tuners. I've run them and had bad experiences. That is OK. It's when I say "I've never ran anything from Bullydog, but they are a bunch aholes because my friends say so" is when you're just being a fool. God gave you your own mind, you don't have to borrow someone else's to form an opinion.

mattpopp

Oct 30, 2009
If your opinion is important enough to post it where thousands of people can read it, then you should step up.

Tell us what the Banks guys did to you personally or what you personally observed at a public event that would warrant your hate?

I can say something like, I do not like Bullydog tuners. I've run them and had bad experiences. That is OK. It's when I say "I've never ran anything from Bullydog, but they are a bunch aholes because my friends say so" is when you're just being a fool. God gave you your own mind, you don't have to borrow someone else's to form an opinion.

My personal feelings come from others that have delt with them. More times then none I hear guys or see them jump on the forum with a issue about poor costumer service. So after countless stories from fellows with horror stories of no support after the "buy" button has been pressed. No way man, I won't sit there and let others make mistakes also. I was one day away from spending over $3k on my truck with banks back on 04. I decide to do the research since it was a pretty pennie (at least for me it was). When there is more complaints about a company then good there has to be something to it. I was not going to subject myself to it. Still to this day the stories don't stop. You don't need to spend a single dime with a company to know if they are great or not. Word of mouth and such is how you make a decision on what and where you buy your products.

I had a PMT for my 6.7. First day of loading it locked up my ECU. But they had me back and running once I talked to the right guy.

My buddy got his PPE in for his 07 D Max, what is that, a LBZ. anyways he loaded a tune, drove. decided to load another tune and it locked up his ECU but PPE was quick to get it fixed. That is good costumer service and that is what separates them from others

But that is great that they took you in and showed you around. Your experience has been great. I hope you return the favor with them by buying there products. I think there Marketing is top notch and what makes most a believer.

Last edited:

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I am a Cummins owner, Heck I have two of them. Love the trucks. But with your statement above that is very easily said about GM guys, Ford guys, and the Dodge Guys. I could be "that guy" and go on and on about it but its cool. This is a Duramax site and it would be very stupid and pointless.

But there are alot of us looking forward to the EFIlive. The diesel shop I use is bias towards D-Max's and loves the EFIlive. He built a hand full of 1000hp+ CR5.9 (Don't think he has done it on a D-Max though). So I could only wonder what he would be able to do if he had the EFI for it.

For the 68RFE trannies. Yes there is one company that is tuning the trannies now. BGChrysler and he has worked with Ron at SunCoast on a complete tranny with hard parts and tuning. I am currently having a Tranny being rebuilt that BG and Ron just released a week or two ago. One of the test truck has been beating on it with 800hp+ (torque around 1600 to 1700ftlbs). He hauls 20klbs or better and has not been able to make it fail. (Though I think he is on his 4th Head Gasket, last one was Fire Ringed so he should be good) This is without any billet shafts also.

So the future for the 6.7/68RFE is very bright and is only getting better each day.

Now we are just going to make you D-Max guys work harder to be faster. All in good name of the sport. I think a Cummins still has the fastest 1/4 truck and strongest sled truck. (Don't throw Banks in because nobody has the endless resource that he has, not to mention he is a joke)

Well maybe all of them except this one :rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zG22U7X4Jg

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
Are the 5.9 rods not weaker also.

The CR 5.9 rods tend to break instead of bend like the older rods. They will all break. The CR's tend to be harder on parts because of the torque they make unlike most 12v's. With static timing, like the 12v's run, they set the timing high to make the hp and it takes away the bottom end torque. That is why a lot of the big time pullers run 12v rods and get away with it. It's not that the rods are vastly superior it's the lack of torque. Torque breaks parts, even the Dmax guys figured that out, but torque moves the trucks.

I'm not interested in 3x the torque as the hp like they are getting with the 6.7's. I would rather destroke the motor if it helps it live. 2x's the hp is plenty to break parts now and it's plenty to make a truck fly. The added displacement does make hp easier though.

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
Shut tha mouth. banks races like everyone else. Hes Fast so he is part of Everyone else. Quit throwing excuses out there. :thumb:

cmns2500

Oct 30, 2009
Shut tha mouth. banks races like everyone else. Hes Fast so he is part of Everyone else. Quit throwing excuses out there. :thumb:

nosir......no, he is in no way like anyone else....he has a LOT of money at his disposal.....IMO, he shouldn't be counted

anyway.....

you CR guys need to stop bitchin and be happy for each other....only thing us 24 valve guys got goin for us is that we can do a p pump swap somewhat sorta easily

ppump-2.gif

:hail:

twhetten

Oct 30, 2009
Well maybe all of them except this one :rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zG22U7X4Jg

Had to jump in on this one, that truck is setup for sled pulling. Im am sure you were just givin him crap cause I see you are from Angelo too and probably know him, but John was having trouble keeping that big turbo spooled of the line that night, and that was just one run you posted. He managed to knock off a few 13.7 second runs in that truck, and that was with a six speed manual transmssion with a 3850 DD clutch that isnt real friendly on the 1/4 mile. BTW the truck of yours was runnin good that night:thumb:.