E-fan controller for the duramax

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Alright so I played around with some designs and drew up a couple quick sketches/schematics.

This controller, like all of my other modules, will be microcontroller-driven so it will be "smart", based on current driving, temperatures, and AC operation.

The actual fan control will be infinitely variable speed (PWM), and 100% solid state. No cheesy mechanical relays, timers, or switches to break or wear out.

It will use/tap-into existing sensors on the engine, so you will not have to install additional sensors or drill/tap anything.

fan operation will ramp up as coolant temperature goes up, starting at around 180* or so, with full speed reached by 200* or so.

When its hot out and the AC is on, the fans will also ramp up to max speed based on AC high-side pressure.

I could also implement additional features to further enhance fan speed control and make it even "smarter"...such as outside ambient air temperature monitoring, vehicle speed monitoring (so the fans ramp up faster/run more often when the truck is moving slowly, such as in stop/go traffic when its really hot out), and even fan control/speed based on engine load.

But of course the more features/parameters that are added/monitored, the more the overall cost goes up.

So guys, let me know which features are most important to you, which features are not as important, etc. And of course, if there are other features that you might want to be incorporated into the fan controller, by all means post them up and Ill let you know if the idea/additional feature is feasible.

Finally, above all, I need to know how much genuine interest there is in something like this...how many people would honestly buy one? When I design each of my modules, its VERY easy to spend hundreds of hours between designing, writing code, real-world-testing, refining, spec'ing parts, failure testing, drawing PCB's in CAD, etc... Not to mention lots of initial investment money in parts/setup/etc. I know that sounds ridiculous "come on ben its just a temperature activated switch, right??", but its true... Im busy enough here getting trucks in/out of the shop, and assembling/selling all of my currently-available modules. So If im going to dive into this advanced/smart Duramax-specific e-fan controller, I want to be confident that I am going to sell more than 3 of these...

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Anyone else? I really dont mean to be an ass Vaz, but like I said, its going to take a lot more serious interest for me to go ahead with designing these/building them. Id probably want to sell at least 7-10 of them to make it worth my while investing in this...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Probably somewhere around $250 for factory coolant temp and factory AC integration. Slightly more if you guys want more fancy stuff like engine load monitoring, vehicle speed monitoring, etc.

I know there might be less expensive aftermarket fan controllers, but they just use mechanical relays, they are not variable speed, they dont integrate with the factory coolant temp sensor (they use an additional sensor or radiator probe), and they dont integrate properly with factory AC....

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I would like the a/c deal. I don't like how mine only comes on with the compressor. How would yoir ac part work?

My module will monitor both AC clutch/request status, and AC high-side pressure...so it will run continuously when you are actually using the AC...not just when the compressor clutch is cycled on/off.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Ben, If you want, you can see how my Dakota Digital controller is set up. It does everything stated above, except that I don't think it can physically handle running both Taurus fans on the same circuit at the same time. It runs one on High and one on Low using 2 70 amp relays.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben, If you want, you can see how my Dakota Digital controller is set up. It does everything stated above, except that I don't think it can physically handle running both Taurus fans on the same circuit at the same time. It runs one on High and one on Low using 2 70 amp relays.

The difference with the Dakota Digital controller is that it isnt solid-state PWM controlled; it just uses mechanical relays to switch the fans on and off...so there is no variable speed.

Also, if it taps into the factory duramax coolant temp sensor, it wont work correctly because the duramax uses a "dual-range" sensor. I mean, well, it will work, but it will turn the fans on when the engine is really cold too, in addition to turning them on when its really hot.

And finally, the AC trigger on that just turns the fans on when the AC compressor clutch is on...as we all know the clutch cycles on/off as needed, so this would mean the fan would be obnoxiously turning on and off all the time when the AC is on.

My controller will be smart enough to run when you have the AC "on", not just when the compressor is "on". And it will be smart enough to work with the dual-range sensor that is unique to the duramax.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Any electric fan, as long as it doesnt draw too much current. I havent done any testing yet, but the components Im using should easily be able to sink 60amps of current.

BALBZ

Aug 3, 2011
Eastern Shore of MD
I would buy one I am using the flexalite controller (one for each fan) and they are a maxed out with the Taurus fans and I don't want to burn my truck to the ground. So I'm in! :thumb:

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
all bad stuff Ive heard about controllers and relays is exactly why I havent done electric fans on my truck . this could be a good thing

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
X2 I would take one

I wouldn't think extra features aren't needed other then load possibly. To keep cost down, but not sure if there would be much cooling to gain from that. One of the other members said you can ground his controller out to activate the fans if it where to fail or via a switch turn them on for dyno ect. Is that something you can do to Ben without it costing much more?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If anyone has an extra fan that they would be willing to send me for testing/prototyping, that would be awesome. Obviously you will get it back at the end, along with a fan controller for a big discount.