E-fan controller for the duramax

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
I have been looking at efans for my tbss, and found that the ls1 fans push around 10,500 cfm of air. It got me thinking that these would be good for our dmax trucks, since guys are using taurus fans that put out 2000 cfm less than the ls1 fans. Dorman makes the ls1 fans, and they sell for 115 bucks new on amazon. My question is: can you make a controller that turns the fans on when the a/c is on and also turns them on via the pcm?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Mine has been fine for more then a year now, but I hope you find something better so if mine fails I will have a backup plan. Painless makes all kinds of stuff, surely they have something

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Mine has been fine for more then a year now, but I hope you find something better so if mine fails I will have a backup plan. Painless makes all kinds of stuff, surely they have something

Ben is a electronics genius, and he makes stuff more specific to our trucks than the one fits all stuff, that's why I posted this here.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Vaz is your TBSS an 06 or an 07+?

Regardless, both ECM's support e-fans, so its just a matter of hooking it up to the fan output control on the ECM and then modifying the tune appropriately (changing the 'fan-type') in EFILive.

The output from the ECM is a PWM signal though, so you will need some sort of driver/converter box to turn the LS1 fan on/off...

And as far as the LS1 fan moving 10,000cfm....are you sure about that....? Where did you read that? An electric fan capable of moving that much air would require an absurd amount of electrical power.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I would buy one of these. The only reason I haven't run Taurus fans is because of sourcing a controller and running relays and wiring and I just don't have time.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Vaz is your TBSS an 06 or an 07+?

Regardless, both ECM's support e-fans, so its just a matter of hooking it up to the fan output control on the ECM and then modifying the tune appropriately (changing the 'fan-type') in EFILive.

The output from the ECM is a PWM signal though, so you will need some sort of driver/converter box to turn the LS1 fan on/off...

And as far as the LS1 fan moving 10,000cfm....are you sure about that....? Where did you read that? An electric fan capable of moving that much air would require an absurd amount of electrical power.

The tbss is an 07, there are harnesses available, (wireing and relays, pcm4less sells them) and the ls1 fans don't need the pwm box like the c6 vette fans do. Ben, its more about the pitch angle on the fans, than spinning them at high rpms. Also, I was talking about using these fans for the dmaxs (cleaner setup)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The tbss is an 07, there are harnesses available, (wireing and relays, pcm4less sells them) and the ls1 fans don't need the pwm box like the c6 vette fans do. Ben, its more about the pitch angle on the fans, than spinning them at high rpms. Also, I was talking about using these fans for the dmaxs (cleaner setup)

That doesnt really make any sense Vaz...regardless of whether you have a coarse-pitch fan running at lower RPM or a finer pitch fan running at higher RPM, with an electric motor you still need X hp/watts to move Y cubic feet/minute of air...........no? :confused:

I still find it hard to believe an LS1 fan moves 10,000cfm.

EDIT: OK I just read that thread. It takes TWO LS1 fans to move 10,000cfm. ONE taurus fan moves 6,000cfm. When guys put taurus fans on their duramax's, they put two on. So the taurus fan still wins.

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
The article I read, that the single taurus fan moved like 4200 cfm, and the 2 ls fans put out like 10,000 cfm, at lower amp draw. Either way, a harness/controller would be nice for the guys that want to run these fans on our trucks.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The tricky thing is, on a dmax (ECM doesnt support e-fan) how to measure coolant temperature? You cant tap into the stock coolant temp sensor because its a dual-range sensor; around ~160* the ECM changes the analog-to-digital converter low-reference voltage. IE, its not just a simple linear 0v to 5v sensor signal from -40* to 300*.

So you would have to add an additional coolant temp sensor.

I dont have any experience with the existing e-fan controllers...what exactly is wrong with them and what additional features would you like to see if I were to design a new e-fan controller?

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
The tbss has ecm output for the fans to turn on. Idk if the dmax does, but it would be nice, not to have to dick with controllers /switches to get the fans to work.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have some ideas of how to interface it properly with the ECM (without installing an additional coolant temp sensor), ill do some experimenting this week.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Vaz I dont really need the fan, but if you could figure out the max current draw at full-load/high-speed, that would be great.