Duramax in a Half Shell

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Got home at 9pm. Honestly, today was one of the worst days Ive ever had. Scared shitless all the way home (~700 miles) that the truck would just stop running and Mark and I would've been stranded. Just a bad day. At least the bed stayed exactly where we tied it down the entire way, even over Michigan's rough version of I-69.

Found the Racor pff4245r2-04 filter assembly online and ordered one. I guess we'll see if its a crack in the head or the CP3 itself.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Working on fuel tank relocation. Using a 15 gallon 3/4 ton Suburban rear aux tank. Have to fabricate new frame crossmembers.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is the new "walk thru frame" I invented. The rear axle does all its own locating and staying in place.
20161020_134218.jpg

Just kidding...:hehe:

Using an aux tank from 2500 Suburban as it fits the frame and sits flush under the bed.
20161020_124225.jpg

Im fabbing two x-members for the new tank (three is you count having to replace the old gas tank X-member due to rust-thru)
Im using the Suburban tank straps to hold it in, just had to cut the old brackets off the Silvy x-members and tack them in, and simply cut small holes in the outside x/member to slide the trap-nuts into so I can bolt the straps in.
I have to design upper straps that the tank will press up against when it's finish mounted, too. Also have to box in the frame on either side of the tank.
The inner x-member will also double as the upper shock mount when I get to that step.

As you can see, it sits up in there nicely. The sump is that square-ish looking drop-down in the front, hiding behind the clamp.

Only issue I have will be the fill hose. Ive got some ideas on that yet to go. I could 90* inside the frame and snake it around to the oem fill door, cut a hole in the side of the frame and run the hose outside to the oem door, or do something kinda cool using an aftermarket fill tube thru the rear stake pocket, or cap off the old fill tube and cut in a new one on top of the tank. Havent decided on anything yet.
20161020_124340.jpg

I bought this aux tank without a fuel pump assembly. They come with pump units that either have sending units or dont, and I obviously picked one with so it'll work like normal. To use it in my truck, I took the pump out, which runs horizontal thru that white plastic holder on the bottom. This allowed me to turn the old feed line into the new return line, and the old 5/8" (!) connection for the vapor system into the new feed line, using a piece of 5/8" fuel hose run thru the old pump holder as the "sump". The old 5/16" return line then becomes the tank vent.
20161020_124544.jpg

On to get the X-members welded by a professional on my route.
20161020_134245.jpg

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Might be something I look at. Would have to ask the body shop on my route how $$ it would be. Bedsides are fiberglass so that might make it "easier". Thanks for the idea.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks guys. :) Im starting to enjoy this again.

Well, now that those x-members are done, Ive moved on to fitting the 4 link brackets to the axle, so I can then map out the shock mounts. That way, when I bolt in the X-members the whole thing will be done at once. Im using the setup that DBRods made for 408.Luke's truck for my ideas. Im wayyyy past going back...

I have two questions, though. I removed the OEM shock mounts on the axle, but do I also have to remove the tabs for the brake lines/parking brake cables? So how does a person run the brake lines to the calipers when using 4 link?
Id love to stay with the OEM brake lines on the axle unless its not safe to do.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I take some pretty long breaks from my truck as well Tom, I usually come back ready to make progress. Only so much room in ones life for things, sometimes the rig has to move down a few notches:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have two questions, though. I removed the OEM shock mounts on the axle, but do I also have to remove the tabs for the brake lines/parking brake cables? So how does a person run the brake lines to the calipers when using 4 link?
Id love to stay with the OEM brake lines on the axle unless its not safe to do.

nothing wrong with running the stock brake lines/brackets if you can get away with it. its all dependent on if the brackets will be in the way of the brake lines. you can always notch the bracket if its in the way of the line so there is about 1/8" of clearance around the line and then weld the bracket on. just depends on where everything lands really. mock it all up and take some pics, we can give ideas from there.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I hear you Al. Once I got those engine mounts done, it was "ok, I can do this".

Thanks James, you know I will. :)