Duramax in a Half Shell

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mike, what the hell are you asking?

Yes, MMs add some more vibration, nothing heinous.
Yes, on my truck the lower rpm made the vibration worse....to me.
Yes, other trucks are different and you have to find the "sweet spot" that works best for you.
No, MMs were not designed to "stiffen the frame up". Dave outlined what they were originally built for.

My wonderful fab guy told me to stop back tomorrow and pick up my mounts. :) He thinks Im crazy. :rofl:

Last edited:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Read what Dave posted just a bit ago on the other thread, seems their might be differences between the 2x4 and 4x4 trucks, I pointed that out several times and most everyone glossed over it. And yes I know what the intent of the Merchant Mounts is, but, on a 2x4 truck it does change how the front end my truck handles. I run a 710rpm tune now and the majority of vibrations are gone.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ok, now I understand what you're onto. On the 1/2 tons, yes the large X-member under the engine IS in a different spot, 2x4 to 4x4..I beleive mainly due to the r&p vs steering box/linkage differences.

I do not think that is the case on our trucks, though b/c both 2wd and 4x4 use the same type of steering setup. It might be worth the time to peruse gmupfitter and look over their frame diagrams to see if there are any differences.

Last edited:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
One additional mounting point that I'm aware of where the IFS mounts to the frame, hard to find it on GMUpfitters frame section diagrams. I've looked at them while scrapping for parts at the local wrecking yard.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Anyway....drivetrain is mounted. If I wouldn't have told you guys how I made the engine mounts, only a very few of you would ever have noticed.
Got the trans x-member installed and the engine mounts snugged down. Drivetrain angle is 4* currently (measured at back of trans), and should drop as more weight is installed. Did some measuring, and yep, it'll need the 2" body lift now.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
That was a long read, but I'm glad you revived the project Tom. It looks like its going to be a fun truck!

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Found the truck box Ive been searching two years for...road trip to the ShowMe State this weekend. :thumb:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Depends on work. If I get Friday off, I'll leave Thurs nite, get a hotel around Indy. If Monday (more likely), I'll leave Saturday and have a nice weekend around St Louis. Found the box in Lebanon.

Planning I69 to I70 to I44 :)

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Depends on work. If I get Friday off, I'll leave Thurs nite, get a hotel around Indy. If Monday (more likely), I'll leave Saturday and have a nice weekend around St Louis.

Planning I69 to I70 to I44 :)

You will be in my neck of the woods. If u got here Friday you could go to the track in Illinois right across the river friday night few of us will be there.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Found the truck box Ive been searching two years for...road trip to the ShowMe State this weekend. :thumb:

What is so special about the box that you're driving to Missouri for it?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Red Q-steer. Great condition and inexpensive. Of all I've looked at, either a bedside would be cracked/broken ($$$) or the color was wrong ($$$$).

Why? To be different.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Cool. Depending on the weather we will be boating Saturday, but I am unsure of time at the moment. We can play it by ear until later this week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk