Duramax in a Half Shell

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
:woott: Glad to see you're back at it Tom! I read this whole thread years ago and was shocked to see it at the top of the forum again.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, I think I've got the gumption to get "over the hump" with the engine mounts, so I thought, "Why not?" I'll deal with whatever comes up.

BTW, the rear axle is all setup, it just needs axles/brakes installed, girdle put on and adjusted and then put in the truck. I'll mount it to the leaves for now (that reminds me -- I need 9.5" 14-bolt 3-3/8" width u-bolts and plates), and run the shocks vertical behind the axle. Eventually I'd like to run coilovers and a 4 link.

Then it'll be on to replacing a couple crossmembers that were rusted, and get everything ready to fit the engine mounts. :) I'd like to use the Merchant mounts I have, so Im going to figure out how to use the 3/4 ton intermediate mounts if it kills me.

There are times I have felt like Wile E. Coyote working on this project.....

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I do have a question or two about the hubs.

I know the latest generation 4x4 Timken hubs are usable in a 2wd application, and I understand they are now set up to not need an axle to "hold them together" like the original hub design was, but would it be wise to run a bolt thru the middle anyway? Also, it there some sort of dust cover available to cover the inside of the hub?

Oh yeah, got the plates and ubolts ordered from RuffStuff. Should be here next week.

Last edited:

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I used the dust covers from my old hubs. I know they say do not remove, but a little work with the hammer and a chisel, and they popped right off.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I would bolt them just for peace of mind. Supposedly they're sealed and don't need a dust shield but with a bolt it shouldn't be too hard to rig something up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I dont have any dust covers to reuse, thats why I asked if any were available. :( Awenta, yeah, Im kinda leaning that way.

AJ, you just shut up. :roflmao::roflmao: Dang smart ass. :hug: Nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you and the family. :)

Well, got the lawn done, so started working on the 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle.

One Detroit Locker:
IMG_20150830_194257_856.jpg

One T/A Performance girdle and main cap stud kit:
IMG_20150830_205151_995.jpg

....and the brakes about 1/2 installed. Still a toss up if I run the parking brake assemblies.
IMG_20150830_212623_357.jpg

Still have to cut off the old shock mounts and fit the new QA1 MT100K lower mounts. I'll have to ask my brother to come over and weld them up.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah Tom!!! Keep after it buddy!

As for the inner dust shields, my old 1500 had them on the back of the spindles. You might look around the junk yard for some, if not, just trim down an outer cv without the guts and bolt it through. Off road guys do that on rhinos and other rigs when they do away with the 4wd setup and do motor swaps

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I guess the lightest thing would be to just fill the hole with silicone.

I reinstalled the dust caps to keep the crap from coming through the hole and running out from under the cap.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Good to see you back at it again, Tom. I was starting to wonder if you'd given up on drag racing.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Got the shop cleaned out and all the spare parts put away (finally), removed the old 10bolt, and started working on the rear suspension. Gotta install the new hangers first. The 14 bolt is ready to roll under when I get done.

Have been PMing Rick Lance about making some 4 link brackets, but I found the bars I was going to use werent going to work, so back to the drawing board with that.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Good deal.

Have you measured the axle tube on the rear axle your installing? I've never measured the light duty 14 bolt size.

I wonder if you bought and off the shelf 4 link kit if you could send the axle sides to Rick and have him plasma them to the correct size? Although setting that up in the cnc would probably be a pain in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its the same width as the 10 bolt, both WMS-WMS and spring flanges. (Its out of a 2001 Chevy 2500LD truck).

I was looking for 1.5" bars. Most of the kits are for gassers and use smaller dia bars and 3" axle tubes. The ones I was looking at turned out to use 9/16" bolts, and Id rather be using 5/8" or larger. I always keep torque in mind when thinking about parts.