Duramax C10

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I ran without a cage until I got into the 9's then I put a cage in it. I never had any problems with frame twist on my boxed frame 69 frame.

Bean's twisted there frame so bad the left front tire would not touch the ground.

Is it a diesel?

Wow. I didn't realize Bean's had twisted the frame to the point of no return. Curious what, if anything, is reinforced on that frame and how much cage it has. That truck also leaves harder than a street truck could dream of so it's somewhat apples to oranges. It's good to hear your frame is living just fine cause you're making more power than just about everyone, or everyone. :rofl:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
No but regardless the rpm's don't bother me.
the sbc is well balanced and spins 9k rpm at the track. It is an 1/8th mile though.

I've seen the beans truck do some nasty wheel stands so that goes to show you they punish the hell out of that truck :roflmao:

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
If I were to keep my truck at 600hp I would put my Dana 61 back in the truck that has 3.00 gears in it with Mosier 5x4.75 axles with ford big bearing ends welded on. That rear end held up to 770rwhp and a 10.6 1/4 mile time.
As far as transmissions I would do a MikeL built Allison or go with a BTS 4r100. I think the Allison has come a long way from when I used it. My MikeL Allison was good to 9.8 1/4 mile. I just love the way the 4r100 shifted on the street. It was so quick and strong and shifted when it was supposed to.
I would NOT recommend a th400 for street only use. I run a 2.91 gear now and at highway speeds its not fun not having od.

I know you're making a lot more power than what I want to do with the truck. I just want to verify that both a 9" and 10 bolt rear ends are out?

As for an Allison. I really didn't want to run one in this truck. I want to keep weight down.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I know you're making a lot more power than what I want to do with the truck. I just want to verify that both a 9" and 10 bolt rear ends are out?

As for an Allison. I really didn't want to run one in this truck. I want to keep weight down.

A 9" will live fine. Probably need some aftermarket axles but I don't see you having much more problem at that power.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
No but regardless the rpm's don't bother me.
the sbc is well balanced and spins 9k rpm at the track. It is an 1/8th mile tho

I've seen the beans truck do some nasty wheel stands so that goes to show you they punish the hell out of that truck :roflmao:
I'm not even sure why you are comparing your 9k rpm gas motor to a 4k rpm diesel?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I'm not even sure why you are comparing your 9k rpm gas motor to a 4k rpm diesel?

Agreed, when I had my 468 BBC in my '65 Malibu it has 4.10 gears with spool in Strange 9", and 30" tall rear tires and a turbo 400 trans, the car ran 3500-3600 rpm going down the interstate... Most cars don't have that tall of a tire... I'm looking at putting a DMAX/4l85e combo in it, but I'm thinking a 3.08 gear or something close...

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Right on, thanks guys! Think I'm gonna go with a dmax/4l85e, 9" with beefier shafts (unless I can score a built 9" for cheap) and not sure what gears yet.

How are 4l80e's?

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Both would, but there is much weight to be saved using a 9" over a 14-bolt and a 9" is cheaper and easier to set up and change up then a 12-bolt