Drop Shackles

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Whats the easiest way to get the stock shakle out of the truck. Noticed the bolts are inverted so you cant just unbolt and pull out. It's for my 05. Thanks!

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Cut the head off and put a new bolt in :D.

OR jack the rear up as high as it'll go till the bolt head is over the top of the frame, then pull it out.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
pull the spring out... its the easiest way, the cleanest way, and the way that i would recommend.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

OR jack the rear up as high as it'll go till the bolt head is over the top of the frame, then pull it out.

I tried to do this but the bolt head still hit the frame... I guess you could dimple the bed for more clearance but I decided to stop. My packs will have to come out

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
The hitch can be a problem with the lower ones, but that's pretty straight forward.

Once the lower bolts are out, just let the truck sit down until the upper bolts can come out over the top of the frame (little tight between the bed and frame, you may have to let the spring flex the bed up just a touch, but they will come out that way)

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
The hitch can be a problem with the lower ones, but that's pretty straight forward.

Once the lower bolts are out, just let the truck sit down until the upper bolts can come out over the top of the frame (little tight between the bed and frame, you may have to let the spring flex the bed up just a touch, but they will come out that way)

Yep thats how I did it.

But on mine the passenger side was basically welded in. No amount of heat or PB would bust it loose and a portable 5 ton press wouldn't cut it either I was told.

They ended up having to drop the leafs and using a normal press.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

I tried to do this but the bolt head still hit the frame... I guess you could dimple the bed for more clearance but I decided to stop. My packs will have to come out

dieselboy04'

DieselBoy04'
Mar 23, 2008
Virginia

x2 this is what I did

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana

That's how I've always done it. On numerous vehicles. 3 times on the DMAX

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
It must b midwest weather cause my top bolts were welded in also. Cut the head off and use a 10mm wrench to loosen up the bolt in the bushing. New bolt should slide in between frame and bed if u lower truck. I'm sure everyones is a little different but that's how I did my 06.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa

Did mine this way. Came out real easy! Thanks!

The transmission cross member brace is ony around 8 inches off the ground lol. Dont need the step bars on it anymore lol!

Attachments

• 116_1419.jpg
    116_1419.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • 116_1416.jpg
    116_1416.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Must be a reg cab thing but my bolt heads hit the rivet on the spare tire crossmember. I dropped the hitch for the lowers and took the bed loose and raised it for the uppers.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Did mine this way. Came out real easy! Thanks!

The transmission cross member brace is ony around 8 inches off the ground lol. Dont need the step bars on it anymore lol!

stock keys with drop shackles? Looks good :thumb:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
stock keys with drop shackles? Looks good :thumb:

Yep. 2 inch drop shackles. Back end still sits up about an inch higher than the front. My driveway makes it look more level than it is but since I still tow with it I didnt want it level. Everything fits nice with my 285/60/18's.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Yep. 2 inch drop shackles. Back end still sits up about an inch higher than the front. My driveway makes it look more level than it is but since I still tow with it I didnt want it level. Everything fits nice with my 285/60/18's.

so did you just have to jack up the rear end causing the pack to push against the underside of the bed and the top shackle bolt came out? I leaned on mine pretty hard and it still hit the rivet? weird