Drain line off of 475?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I Have most of my parts to do my 475 over stock. For my drain line, I'm going to the valve cover. I have -10AN drain line with fittings. One fitting goes from -10AN to a 3/8 NPT. I have looked all over to find the correct size drill bit and tap. It seemed that a 5/8 drill bit will work. But not sure for the tap. The threads on the fitting seem to be metric 1.5. Diameter looks to be a 16 in metric.

What size drill bit and tap should I use?

Thanks in advanced for help.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What are you trying to tap, the valve cover? Sounds like the fitting may be an oring straight thread to -10, its a common style. My tap chart shows a 3/8-18 NPT using a 37/64 drill bit.

Last edited:

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
I'm confused, is the fitting you are threading in a 3/8" NPT fitting? If so, then you will need a 3/8" pipe tap. This uses a 9/16" drill bit.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You will need a 3/8 NPT tap if you are trying to thread the 3/8 NPT part of the fitting into the valve cover. I think the drill bit is 37/64".

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
What are you trying to tap, the valve cover? Sounds like the fitting may be an oring straight thread to -10, its a common style.

Trying to tap the valve cover. Maybe I have it wrong. I don't recall which one was the tap and which one was the die. I wan to drill and thread the valve cover. Yeah, the fitting is a -10 to 3/8 adapter. (What its labeled)

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
I Have most of my parts to do my 475 over stock. For my drain line, I'm going to the valve cover. I have -10AN drain line with fittings. One fitting goes from -10AN to a 3/8 NPT. I have looked all over to find the correct size drill bit and tap. It seemed that a 5/8 drill bit will work. But not sure for the tap. The threads on the fitting seem to be metric 1.5. Diameter looks to be a 16 in metric.

What size drill bit and tap should I use?

Thanks in advanced for help.

If the fitting is -10 to 3/8 NPT, then you need a 3/8 NPT tap and iirc that takes a 9/16 drill.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Thought about going into the pan, but don't want to worry about messing up. And pulling the pan.

For the bit. I wasn't sure. Because of how the fitting is labeled for the size. Then I checked drill bit sizes and it's about the size of 5/8. Checked the threads they are fine pitch. Standard size didn't really seat to well. The metric size 1.50 thread pitch seated perfectly.
That's why I was unsure and thought I would ask.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I know I am probably confusing everyone and myself. Just rechecked the adapter package. It says -10 to 3/8. I double checked the fitting to my 9/16 tap. The tap is way too small. I measured the end of the fitting which is supposed to be 3/8 NPT. It measures out a just under 5/8 diameter.

Maybe I'm over thinking this shit. But thanks again for the replies.

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
NPT threads go by the size of the hole in the fitting, not the size of the threads. The threads are tapered, so they will tighten and seal. 3/8 NPT Is the tap you need.
I have the same fitting in my valve cover. Make sure you get it in the right spot.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
I know I am probably confusing everyone and myself. Just rechecked the adapter package. It says -10 to 3/8. I double checked the fitting to my 9/16 tap. The tap is way too small. I measured the end of the fitting which is supposed to be 3/8 NPT. It measures out a just under 5/8 diameter.

Maybe I'm over thinking this shit. But thanks again for the replies.

That makes sense actually, the fitting as measured on the outside of the threads would actually be a little larger than half an inch.

You need a 9/16" drill bit, then a 3/8" NPT tap. The NPT tap that large will be hard to find, try a plumbing or industrial supply house. If no luck then look online.

Find a spare piece of aluminum lying around if you have one and practice on that first. I say aluminum because it will be a lot easier than practicing on steel.

P.S. Note that an NPT tap is tapered. When you are practicing, get a good idea of how deep you want to go with the tap. If you go too deep, since it is tapered, it will not seal properly when you thread in the fitting.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Thanks for the info and tips guys. I will look around online for a tap that size. And I will practice before I commit to drilling on my valve cover.

Operator1. Do you have pictures of where you went on the v/c?