Doing heads and water pump

Feb 17, 2014
I pulled my heads this past weekend and am getting read to take them to the machine shop. While its apart I plan on doing a water pump. I have the gasket kit from creatures of the night. Are there any secrets I should know before I put it back together? Like places I should add some ultragrey or I should spray some silicone to lubricate o rings or anything along those line? stuff to prevent any leaks or problems going back together

Also I have a buddy with an unused after market lml down pipe, will it fit my truck?

Also should I replace any of these rubber hoses on top of the motor? And what type of hose should I use on the fuel lines? I busted one of the rubber hoses coming apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I Used standard fuel injection line from NAPA for my return lines in my fuel system, Goodyear push loc for everything else. On something a decade old I like to replace all the hoses and belts that I can the first time I tear something down like you're doing...over the years I've had too many crack or fail immediately after putting them back on to screw around with it

as far as the water pump goes, it's straight forward once you get to it...
now is about as good as a time as you're gonna get to get it done tho...PITA job

I like to use the copper seal spray to set MLS gaskets and ultra black for paper gaskets, ultra grey for the intake runners, make sure you got the Multi Layer Steel Grade C head gaskets and not the newer style LML gasket that has the bonded rubber layer, but you got it from MR H, so I'm sure you're good to go:thumb:

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Replace that stupid little hose that feed water to the turbo just above the fan pully. Not fun to replace when it does die and everything is back together.

Feb 17, 2014
I've got arp studs ready to go. And I'll get some ultra gray and black and that copper stuff. Where can you get push like hose? Should I try to find it or does Napa sell a hose I could use instead?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I've never used the tech push loc fitting, but I'm told that "technically" the push loc hose requires a push loc fitting but it'll grab barbed fittings too (you have to cut it off!) NAPA doesn't have it, but if you're lucky they will have the heavier duty Blue Goodyear fuel hose...but unless you've got a Grainger or serious industrial store (not Home Depot) you'll probably have to buy it online AFAIK...

I like it because it doesn't kink and collapse like regular hose tends to, but any fuel rated line will work for anything on the low pressure side of the CP3

new york lly

I really do care!!
Feb 8, 2014
Buffalo NY
I Used standard fuel injection line from NAPA for my return lines in my fuel system, Goodyear push loc for everything else. On something a decade old I like to replace all the hoses and belts that I can the first time I tear something down like you're doing...over the years I've had too many crack or fail immediately after putting them back on to screw around with it

as far as the water pump goes, it's straight forward once you get to it...
now is about as good as a time as you're gonna get to get it done tho...PITA job

I like to use the copper seal spray to set MLS gaskets and ultra black for paper gaskets, ultra grey for the intake runners, make sure you got the Multi Layer Steel Grade C head gaskets and not the newer style LML gasket that has the bonded rubber layer, but you got it from MR H, so I'm sure you're good to go:thumb:

Was just wondering what was wrong w/ the newer style LML gasket

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Was just wondering what was wrong w/ the newer style LML gasket

It's a cheaper part now, it saved GM a dollar per side and $2 per rig...so millions a year

IIRC, it's a layer less metal and then that layer removed is replaced by a rubber/polymer gasket around all the jackets...

same thing Subaru did back in 2003

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
It's a cheaper part now, it saved GM a dollar per side and $2 per rig...so millions a year

IIRC, it's a layer less metal and then that layer removed is replaced by a rubber/polymer gasket around all the jackets...

same thing Subaru did back in 2003

So you have used this new gasket and had it fail I take it?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
So you have used this new gasket and had it fail I take it?

No, not on a Dmax I haven't...but that's the benefit of knowing people and reading...
Hey, I've never actually used a set of Jon's ovals, but I know they are awesome!

Pickin up what I'm putting down?

I've seen these style of gaskets fail on Subaru's numerous times, they're junk and there is NOTHING better about them for us, its simply a cheaper part that allows the manufacturer to bank pure profit, or recoup/absorb added cost from elsewhere in the platform...how many rigs does GM sell a year, multiply it by $2, pure profit

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
No, not on a Dmax I haven't...but that's the benefit of knowing people and reading...
Hey, I've never actually used a set of Jon's ovals, but I know they are awesome!

Pickin up what I'm putting down?

I've seen these style of gaskets fail on Subaru's numerous times, they're junk and there is NOTHING better about them for us, its simply a cheaper part that allows the manufacturer to bank pure profit, or recoup/absorb added cost from elsewhere in the platform...how many rigs does GM sell a year, multiply it by $2, pure profit

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."

I don't why, but that came to mind.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
LML's, the gold and black, failed on my truck in about 5k miles or so. I know its a built truck but still sucked.

Had them and H11 studs. Won't be trying them again

Reason why I will not sell them in my kit few others will not sell them I know Eric Merchant does not bother with them also. Even with cost on most parts going up every year I still keep my gaskets and stud kits the same cost as before. Sure I could be like some of the others and still charge the same as I do now and supply just the Lml factory gaskets and pocket more on my end. But it's not worth the head ache from it. If a customer does not want to listen about not using them there more then welcome to select no head gaskets with kit or buy elsewhere.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have used them with good luck. I don't like them because of clean up when you disassembly one with them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've used lml gaskets on probably 10 trucks with no issues, one being my personal truck.

However nothing at any "extreme" power level. All stock engine trucks except one and it's still stock fuel with a stage 2 r.