Dodge sucks balls

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
that is Ball Joints! OMG, my Brother-in-law's '12 Cummins with 40k ate upper and lower BJ's on both sides! This truck has never seen any towing or loads, but has seen occasional light offroading. Nothing really harsh. My truck has been flogged to shit by comparison, and when I threw both in the air and checked, his were awful and mine were tight as a drum!

We put in some Carli's at $850 for the set :roflmao: That was the SALE price :rofl:

But... my GOD are these things built like a brick shit house!

FWIW, this is the same babied truck that ate it's turbo at 24K. Something about not using the exhaust brake enough and the vanes sooted shut.

I know the Cummins is awesome, but between the 68 tranny and the entire truck wrapped around it... :(

Sure looks pretty though!

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Crazy! I called my dad, he's a PA inspector. He said he can't fail one unless the wheels deflect more than 3/4", because that's chryslers spec.

ILuvJDM

Jul 15, 2014
Austin, Texas
I have two friends that love dodge as well, one has the 06 style that seems okay, but the other has the 08+ and he also mentioned about the exhaust brake and how he had to use it to keep the turbo from screwing up. I thought that was ridiculous. Sounded cool though, we called it the screamin' eagle when it kicked in.

08+ guy also had to replace his entire front end as far as balljoints are concerned. That was a chore because everything was rusted and seized.

And dodge guys say if it doesn't have a solid axle it isn't strong :roflmao:. They can have the death wobble and shitty bucket of bolts they call a truck

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Can't wait till Brian has to do his front ball joints lol. My buddies 14 Cummins needed them at 40k and 80k but he also runs 35s

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I predict Brian will be in a Nissan Titan before the ball joints fail in his dodge. Guy changes trucks faster than most of us change underwear:D

ILuvJDM

Jul 15, 2014
Austin, Texas
Can't wait till Brian has to do his front ball joints lol. My buddies 14 Cummins needed them at 40k and 80k but he also runs 35s

But isn't that what the whole straight axle argument is about? They say you need a straight axle to run big tires without burning through parts?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
But isn't that what the whole straight axle argument is about? They say you need a straight axle to run big tires without burning through parts?

Only axle worth a shit is the ford super 60. That axle actually can handle bigger tires and mileage. Dodge still needs ball joints more often than we need wheel bearings. Not to mention their wheel bearings still go out at about the same rate as gm

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My balljoints D.S upper and lower was bad, pitman and idler arm along with the pass side lower balljoint and an inner tierod at 59k miles on my LMM. I've used fourwheeldrive a handful of times, no boosted launches and only been on gravel roads, only a few were rough. I'm running 35's and the front end is far from maxed out. Nothing holds up like we think it should esp. With the shitty northeast roads

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
All I can say is my truck has 155k miles on it and front end is totally original still.. And I've been cranked up a little bit for a long time also.. I can't complain with that, nuf said..

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Must be nice, granted I drive hard but I swerve to miss potholes and putt down gravel lease roads I've never had a front end last longer than 110k and that was all beefy aftermarket parts.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
My personal truck is at 180K and my ball joint are getting a tad loose, but one of them has had a torn boot for over 100K. How I drive... at 50MPH ruff pipeline roads smooth right out. I am anal about maintenance though.

My 06 Dually work truck is at 130K and just left the front end shop to get check out so I could put on new tires and everything is great. Atleast 60K of those miles it had a GN behind it.

Our other supers 08 Dodge got traded off at 70K with the Dodge Death Wobble

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
Just replaced everything on mine at 130k did wheel bearings at about 95k. Mines has had keys cranked with 35s on 20x9s and 20x10s since 80k plus numerous boosted launches. So I'd say that's not to bad

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Brother has a 10 between bj and wheel ujoint track bar Autozone has lost money with their warranty program.
As for me one wheel bearing and all BJ have been replaced.. Going on 270k

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
My 01 made it to 220k on the original front end, although it was shot. This is on terrible Midwest roads & this was a farm truck before I got it, so it's been through some stuff. My 07 made it to 185k on the original stuff and was in pretty good shape when I replaced everything really.