DIesel Power Challenge 2011

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Saw this on another forum, from Newly

"Funniest **** of the day was when a guy showed up to the track and started screaming at Fidel and demanded to get paid then was about to whip his ass. The guy was screaming so loud it was echoing between buildings. We all got a good laugh from that."
:rofl:

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Saw this on another forum, from Newly

"Funniest **** of the day was when a guy showed up to the track and started screaming at Fidel and demanded to get paid then was about to whip his ass. The guy was screaming so loud it was echoing between buildings. We all got a good laugh from that."
:rofl:

That seems to be a not terribly uncommon for guys that have a fast truck.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to do any diesel performance work. The other major reason is covered in this thread too, people wanting to double, triple or more the power of their truck and still think it should last and have a warranty.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Warranty work on this type of treatment of trucks is like you bet dude we'll write that up right now and give you all the engines and trannies you can blow. Shops can't afford to redo work on these trucks because the owners do this type of torture and then just a I have the biggest whatever number. No way it's you own it you treat it how you want but it's yours.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Dmitris trans is toast and because of that he over spun his GT55 and blew it up too.

Wondered what would of happened if he stayed with the Allison?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.....

I hate to see anyones rig blow up, but it really sucks when the best shot at winning it for GM blows up using a Dodge tranny (kinda ironic in a way).

Regardless, Dimitri gave what he thought was his best shot (and more than I have done), so I have to give him props for trying.

Good luck to the remaining competitors.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Warranty work on this type of treatment of trucks is like you bet dude we'll write that up right now and give you all the engines and trannies you can blow. Shops can't afford to redo work on these trucks because the owners do this type of torture and then just a I have the biggest whatever number. No way it's you own it you treat it how you want but it's yours.

that's pretty much what I was getting at, if a race built motor came with a warranty I bet it would cost 2-3 times as much.

a race motor is already a tough pill to swallow, but if your cool with your builder when bad things happen. he might help you out (parts at cost, labor discounts, etc.)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Over-spinning a GT55 is impressive.

But if the 55 failed, I'd also check other things like oiling, debris, etc. IIRC, I calculated it was still in the map at 5000 rpm with 75psig going into the cylinders.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
No way can anyone warranty a Dmax race engine at 1000+ HP.

That being said, you should always have an agreement as to what happens if it does blow, and what happens if it was caused by neglegience? such as forgetting a wristpin clip, head gaskets on backwards, etc.

The PARTS can fail racing, but the engine building shouldn't.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Over-spinning a GT55 is impressive.

But if the 55 failed, I'd also check other things like oiling, debris, etc. IIRC, I calculated it was still in the map at 5000 rpm with 75psig going into the cylinders.

Turbo speed sensor shows I over spin my HX82 last year in all passes like 10-15 krpm. No damage, only compressor wheels lock nut was turned tighter.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That seems to be a not terribly uncommon for guys that have a fast truck.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to do any diesel performance work. The other major reason is covered in this thread too, people wanting to double, triple or more the power of their truck and still think it should last and have a warranty.

i dont know anyone who expects a warrenty on a race motor/built motor/ or who is making some good HP. As pat pointed out though, if the motor was built incorrectly, something should be worked out with the engine builder to make it right. If you are refering to the owen blowin his motor up and others suggesting fleece warrenty it, most here are joking ;) :D

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
No way can anyone warranty a Dmax race engine at 1000+ HP.

That being said, you should always have an agreement as to what happens if it does blow, and what happens if it was caused by neglegience? such as forgetting a wristpin clip, head gaskets on backwards, etc.

The PARTS can fail racing, but the engine building shouldn't.

In reality even that would be hard to prove as when catastrophic failure happens it's a series of events. In other words one thing leads to another.

As far as missing parts or something put in backwards, you'll have to have a enormous trust in your builder to tell you the truth when he disassembles the motor. He was the last one in there and will be the first back in there.

All one can do is find the best reputable builder and hope no mistakes happen . Even the best of best make mistakes. The only way this warranty would work is to have a neutral or independent evaluate a catastrophic failure and give his opinion.

You know and I know that isn't going to happen just the cost alone would be crazy. Warranty any built motor or transmission is IMO out of the question.For a simple scenario Look at ATS's warranty on their transmissions it's a nightmare! It boils down to being YOUR fault. :D