DIesel Power Challenge 2011

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I was more stirring the pot in my first post;) but hey, take it as you wish. I'll ask you this though, if you had a reputable builder setting up your entire truck for you, and it blows the first event with him behind the helm....what would you do? Id be ripped I was out 50k and I didn't get to sit behind the wheel...I'm not saying that's what happened, its just a question...

I was glad to be there, and help Owen out. I have plenty invested in the truck in time and lost personal time with my family, so to go out there and blow it up hurts.

The progressive controller should have been used for the small stage, but it wasn't. Hindsight is 20/20. It cracked pistons, but didn't blow the headgaskets. Pretty amazing. Would've rather seen them blow, for sure.

Owen is a class act and a good customer. The engine will run again. It ran so well on the street that I want to put it back together tomorrow, but we have too much to do before other events.

As for the warranty stuff, that all is between Owen and I. No reason to speculate or make low class comments.

Brayden

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I was glad to be there, and help Owen out. I have plenty invested in the truck in time and lost personal time with my family, so to go out there and blow it up hurts.

The progressive controller should have been used for the small stage, but it wasn't. Hindsight is 20/20. It cracked pistons, but didn't blow the headgaskets. Pretty amazing. Would've rather seen them blow, for sure.

Owen is a class act and a good customer. The engine will run again. It ran so well on the street that I want to put it back together tomorrow, but we have too much to do before other events.

As for the warranty stuff, that all is between Owen and I. No reason to speculate or make low class comments.

Brayden

Cool you was there helping him out! Sucks it cracked the pistons but like you said hindsight is 20/20.

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
We had a very strong runner for sure. We were "road dynoing" the truck on I-70 in denver on the spray, and it was pretty nasty... But we had plenty of load when it hit WOT..

I'll likely send a couple pistons to Mahle to let them figure out what kind of cylinder pressure had to be on them to get that to hapen. It was up there for sure.

I do want to thank Guy for expediting the crankshaft out to us, that was, and will be again, the smoothest Dmax engine we've built to date. (Internal Balance LB7 Crank) If you are planning on building an engine in the near future, don't hesitate to spend the extra money on internal balance. Best money you'll ever spend, and cheaper than doing it twice by a long shot.

Brayden

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
We had a very strong runner for sure. We were "road dynoing" the truck on I-70 in denver on the spray, and it was pretty nasty... But we had plenty of load when it hit WOT..

I'll likely send a couple pistons to Mahle to let them figure out what kind of cylinder pressure had to be on them to get that to hapen. It was up there for sure.

I do want to thank Guy for expediting the crankshaft out to us, that was, and will be again, the smoothest Dmax engine we've built to date. (Internal Balance LB7 Crank) If you are planning on building an engine in the near future, don't hesitate to spend the extra money on internal balance. Best money you'll ever spend, and cheaper than doing it twice by a long shot.

Brayden

I dont know the spec of the build but I take it those are forged pistons?

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Why? If people want to spend the money let them it makes for good entertainment and really get to see the limits of these trucks

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Why? If people want to spend the money let them it makes for good entertainment and really get to see the limits of these trucks

What's entertaining about a bunch of broken trucks that can't finish the event?? Most of these trucks can't even get the power to the ground running street tires anyways. Making it fuel only would be more entertaining to me, not who is daring enough to spray the most Nos to win

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I see the point however, I think the events shouldn't be limited to no power adders I just think that tire changes should be allowed

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
I see it both way but no one is forced to spary their motors. I think you should be able to add/remove weight and change tires. At least for the drag stip. Its safer that way. I really think more safety need to be added to this event. Like the dyno.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I think thats a unique thing to DPC in that you have to choose one truck configuration for all the events. I like it.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
That's where I'm torn....I think it's an awesome concept with choosing one setup and making it work but at the same time agree with tire changes but don't know on weight...that one has me thinking it maybe interesting to see what kind of setup everyone has for each individual event

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Congrats to all who got into the competition and made a go of it!

While I can appreciate the peak performance of these rigs, I would prefer to see trucks that can survive and are daily driven as well. IMO that's what this competition was designed to showcase, with the wide variety of events and all.

If it's not actually about a truck that a guy can DD and compete with ( seems like it this yr ) but more about peak performance, then it seems silly and unsafe to make these guys set their trucks up for sled pulling and then run 140mph in them. Let them change tires, add / remove weights, whatever.

I really liked a few years ago watching how a rig like Calabria69's stacked up against the competition.

:beer

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
definetely not the d-max best year. congrats to newly for surviving.
dmax will retake the title back next year

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I think thats a unique thing to DPC in that you have to choose one truck configuration for all the events. I like it.

I see it both way but no one is forced to spary their motors. I think you should be able to add/remove weight and change tires. At least for the drag stip. Its safer that way. I really think more safety need to be added to this event. Like the dyno.

One of the few things I see I'd want to see different is the no setup change. Why not let the competitors showcase what they know? It might make a 3 day event last 4 but just think of the show you'd get from 900+ hp trucks actually set up (safety and all) for the event at hand.
We were speculating if Bandimere was going to boot some for the times they ran with no cage but nothing was said, guess DP mag worked that out..

JQmile

Jul 6, 2007
I just took a look at the video of Owens's truck on the dyno and all I can say is "Wow!"

What I saw there was a whole different level of stupidity! :mad:

Allowing people to stand that close to a truck on the dyno, especially in a competition like this is incredibly stupid!

I've seen flywheels, clutchs, converters, fan blades, driveshafts and other miscellaneous pieces come shooting out of vehicles on a dyno.

Hell, I was at a local NASCAR event about 25 years ago when a mechanic was reving an engine to 3,000 rpm to set the timing and the fan came apart, a piece hit the ground and went right through a bystanders chest, killing him instantly.

C'mon people, lets use our heads a little bit and follow some basic safety precautions.

For example, in my shop no one is allowed to stand next to the truck while under power. Everyone must be behind the rear bumper and out of direct line of the tires.

If your at a competition like this, do your buddies a favor and don't let them stand in harm's way.

Guy

Most of the people that are standing right next to the truck are the video crew for Diesel Power, and yes they know it is dangerous, as it is for us photo guys, but hey, ya gotta get the good shot! Me personally, I got the heck back. The other guy having a piece of pizza in the shot was the one running the dyno for ATS, so I figured he could stand where he liked. There was a much bigger crowd that was standing a ways back.

That being said, it would probably be a good idea to get people back even further, and I'll make sure to bring it up next year :thumb:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

Brayden

As for my warranty comment, it was more interesting to see how members of the board felt about built motors and warranty than anything. Believe me, I've already had to deal with it during the past 8 months building my truck, and I am 99.9999% sure I'll have to deal with more in the near future. My thought is, if I was in your shoes, that I would consider warranties on "builds" on a case by case basis ans I'm pretty sure that's what you already do. So hat's off to you.

As far as Owens truck and the pistons, were you using Mahle Forged pistons that were the "same" as Socal's (in metalurgy) or were they more like TTS (in metalurgy)?

Thanks,
Tim

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Most of the people that are standing right next to the truck are the video crew for Diesel Power, and yes they know it is dangerous, as it is for us photo guys, but hey, ya gotta get the good shot! Me personally, I got the heck back. The other guy having a piece of pizza in the shot was the one running the dyno for ATS, so I figured he could stand where he liked. There was a much bigger crowd that was standing a ways back.

That being said, it would probably be a good idea to get people back even further, and I'll make sure to bring it up next year :thumb:

"You want to live forever?" - Starship Troopers

Me, I'm the guy who is hiding behind a brick wall and checking the dates on the fire extinguishers. :D

Getting your face near the engine bay is just insane. I'm a coward. I'll do it when I absolutely must to diagnose something, but very rarely.