Deer Vs Yotes

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I heard some interesting statistics on a study, done on Yearling Deer survival rates in Georgia. I was floored by what a Bioligist told me. He said that out of 10 tracked yearling deer, 7 of them fell prey to Coyotes! He explained something had to be done quickly, or the Deer heards will suffer in Georgia. I know at our lease in Georgia, you hear them all night yiping. Down here in central Fla there getting bad also.

Any of you all have a problem with Yotes in your state, or notice them getting worse?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There was a time when many of the western states not only considered coyotes as "vermin" (you don't need a hunting license, no season or restrictions) but some actually paid a bounty for them.

Since the Bambi Generation has taken over, killing dangerous vermin such as coyotes is no longer politically correct, even if permitted. They don't care that the spread of coyotes is man-made, and their attacks on people and property (yes, animals are property, not kindred souls to man) are caused in most part by their human-induced over-population of their habitat.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Once the deer population gets low the the coyotes will also start to disapear. Then the deer population will rise again. It's just mother natures checks and balances system. At my family ranch here there are hardly any coyotes and an assload of deer. On the ranch I work on we have a bad coyote problem and have had it for years. There is hardly any deer here and the coyotes are starting to kill our calves. The last year and a half we have been killing the coyotes left and right and now we have more deer than ever.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
when my boss was county auditor in Fredericksburg, tx (5 years ago maybe), they paid a bounty for coyotes. don't know if they still do. prior to 2007, there weren't any coyotes on the goodyear proving grounds...now there are. bobcats are thick too. i remember seeing huge flocks of Turkey. now, it's rare to see any.

but Shane's right. Deer are very thick here. a friend of mine had a lease in Rocksprings. counted deer at the feeder one night. counted eighty something.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I know Eastern Mass is loaded especially Cape Cod
They have hurt the population so much here that they cut the anterless deer(anything under a 3" spike) tags back 50%. The state runs a hunt on Otis AFB every year,11,000 acres is open for hunting. The deer population has really gone to chit in the last ten years thanks to the coyotes. A biologist put a trail camera in front of a den & counted 50-60 fawns being dragged in for the pups.

soot04max

Jul 14, 2008
Montgomery, Pa.
there are alot of coyote's here in Pa. we have hunts that pay out for killing them during the hunts and more and more get turned in every year. I remember one being turned in that weighed 64lbs.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Eastern coyotes are alot bigger than their distant relatives the western coyotes. Way back when the western coyotes mixed with wolves( grey or possibly red) & that became the eastern coyote(coywolf). Theres been DNA studies that have confirmed that.
Theirs been arguments over coyotes being an invasive species that was never here till the mid to late 1900s & should be dealt with like most invasive species.

Jake Staton

Mar 16, 2009
we call them in all evening. they are one of the easiest animals to call besides crows.

I guess texas yotes are a little smarter :smart:.... we normally can only call in young ones or really really hungry and sick ones... they are what we call "Call Shy" or "Educated Coyotes"....

you can call them in with mouth calls, tapes cd's, or electronic call devices such as a foxpro. www.foxpro.com

It is a load of fun and an awesome sport.