Deer Vs Yotes

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It's been 25 years since I went coyote hunting, and we came up empty-handed. Daytime hunting requires a lot of patience and bait. Use a high-powered rifle, camo, and get 250 yards or more upwind of the bait.

For night-time, a 12ga with #4 lead shot is the ticket, turkey loads. IIRC, the coyote call is supposed to sound like a wounded rabbit, but ... first time we used one we had a few brews before setting up (put out some jackrabbits we shot the day before) and when my buddy blew on that coyote call, we all busted up laughing. We got quiet again for 30 minutes, and he blew it again. This time we held back as long as we could, then laughed twice as long and twice as loud. This process repeated itself until 4 am when we finally gave up.

All the real useful advice I could offer is to make sure of your target. If it has a collar, it probably isn't a coyote. If your scope cannot discern the really tall ears of a coyote from somebodies German Shepard that apparently was allowed to run free for miles, you need a better scope.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I use a .204 Ruger for varmit hunting. Nothing stands a chance against a 32 gr vmax hornady moving at 4250 fps. As for as calling if you are using a mouth call just act stupid and sound like something dying. Pause for maybe 5 seconds every 20 seconds. And if hunting at night use a red lense on your spot light and keep it on the entire time. Then once you see something keep it on them. If you don't they will be able to see you. That is what has worked the best for us. And many of people around here have told us to do the same thing.

Red Dmax

Big Boy Toys
Apr 19, 2009
No wonder you and jake hardly ever kill anything. Yall are doin a whole bunch of things wrong. P.S. Shane and Jake Staton are the no hunting idiots i know!

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
All the real useful advice I could offer is to make sure of your target. If it has a collar, it probably isn't a coyote.

Theres a dozen or so that this nutjob (that wants to make Cape Cod a coyote preserve & ban hunting) has put collars on running around here.
GlopeRun-LowRes.jpg

Attachments

• GlopeRun-LowRes.jpg
    GlopeRun-LowRes.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Population growing here. even had a rabid one down the street last year. Something else making a comeback, although I have'nt seen one. Bobcats. There's been sightings in the nieghborhood,and a sudden lack of squirels too.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
what do you use to call them in?

We use a 22-250 or a 243 and as far as calling what works for me is a Primos Raspy Coaxer and a Primos Ki-Yi iv had the most luck with these calls they are mouth calls, and Hunter Specialties makes good calls, Now the new Digital calls is ok i have had some luck calling young coyote in the late spring and Electric calls dont work good at all around here. Now as far as sounds you make for here you can start out like a rabbit then young deer then maybe puppy but when these dont work you can just sound like something in destress now our setups we stay around a hour sometimes if a coyote dont come in we call up a fox or a bobcat but most of the time if a coyote is gonna come in it will be there in 1 to 25 min

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Around here they start to get bad you just put in a complaint then have the neighbors sign a waiver that says that they have seen to many too and the GFP hunt them with helicopters.

They fricken slaughter them dude it aint even fair, they'll kill up to 50 a day.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There's a ton of coyotes out around me. Maybe I should start killing more of them. Think my .270 will take one down... :D

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Just got back from hunting in GA and it's amazing how many different packs of them you can hear at night. Sounds like hundreds of them around our area. Something def needs to be done. I think it would be a great idea for the DNR to start putting a bounty on them. Then maybe the Meth Heads would quit steeling tree stands for money, and start killing Yotes! The Chopper idea sounds very effective also!

Another thing that seems to be growing in population are Wild Dogs. My Pop's got attacked again this weekend going to his stand. Although he did manage to smoke this one with his 22 Mag Pistol he carries now. F-that!!!