Dead LLY

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I got an 05 lly in and the customer wanted DSP5 put in. he had a tune from another shop in town but wasn't happy with it. so I pulled the tune and there was minimal changes made but I started with a clean stock tune. I drove the truck after I had downloaded the tune and scanned it to make sure it was healthy as it has 180k on it. everything looked good. got back tot he shop and went to flash it and put a switch in. I first pulled the fuses like we all do on LLY's and that's when I noticed he had changed out all his fuses and replaced them with some kind of circuit breaker. when I licensed the ecm (here is where I could have made a mistake) I was watching the messages and it said something like "searching" or "trying" and I noticed the data port cable wasn't connected. I connected it while it was trying to license it and it seemed fine and ,went ahead and licensed it, told me to cycle the key off and that was normal. but after that it wouldn't flash, would not crank, nothing..... I uses the scan tool to see if it would communicate and it seemed to. but when I selected the tool to get the OS number and VIN all of them said N/A

Now it gets better.....I thought maybe it just blew a fuse, I checked them and of course due to these stupid circuit breakers you can't tell. I checked for power at the ecm on the pink ignition wires and had none. then checked the 4 fuses that send the ecm ign volts and they didn't have power either ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FUSE. it burnt up the bus bar inside of the fuse block and has no power to either side pf those 4 fuses. (I've seen this before when a guy tapped the wrong side of the fuse for gauge power) I used a power probe to sent 12 volts to the 4 fuses and see if the ecm would talk or flash and NO GO. I happen to have a good used fuse block from a gas 2500hd and if looks like it will work but I don't want to burn it up again. I know I will need an ecm. worst part is I had a good LLY ecm and sold it to a guy on Tuesday.

Did connecting the cord while it was trying to license it cause all this?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Try this... with the key in the run position pull the ECM fuse then put it back in. You will hear something cycle on. Then connect your v2 to the OBDII and attempt to full flash the ECM

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Try this... with the key in the run position pull the ECM fuse then put it back in. You will hear something cycle on. Then connect your v2 to the OBDII and attempt to full flash the ECM

LOL doesn't even have any power on the fuse block to send to the ecm Basically did that with the power probe I can stand at the drives seat and hit the switch once I turn the key on and send power as I please. wish I had my LLY here I would swap the ecm into it and see if it would flash but I think its pretty much fubar.

Ed04zf6

Ed04zf6
Oct 21, 2012
Nh
I ran into something similar to this while installing tunes into a truck. He had the normal fuses. After I told it to full flash it started going threw the process and would get just past erase. Then kick the code $0101. And the ecm was dead. I ended up pulling radio, radio amp, tbc batt, tbc ignition, and the ignition fuses. After that it still didn't work. Rather embarrassing as the customer was sitting with me. I ended up trying to flash it probably 15-20 times before it finally went threw. I know it's kind of late but if I tune another lly I'm going to buy a bench tuner. So I don't know if it will work for you but persistence paid off in my case.

Dmaxbro!

Nice DMax bro!!
Apr 20, 2014
Montreal
Does it have an after market radio? Check to see it there is a module installed between the wiring harness and the radio that is used to control the steering wheel buttons to control the factory functions and eliminates the error codes to the BCM. Just a thought. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If it burnt up the bus bar inside the fuse block, I'm guessing something else was wrong. Plugging in the V2 wouldn't be able to do that no matter what it was trying to do. It couldn't pull enough power through the port without melting the cable and OBD port.

I'd replace the fuse block, and while you are doing that, look carefully for bare/damaged wires that could have shorted enough amps to melt that bus bar.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
yes it does have an aftermarket stereo and I had the fuses pulled for that so I did find a wire that had burnt up along time ago but it wasn't from this. it was under the fuse block. I will look for the controller and see if hey have something wired up under there. I'm feeling better about this now after finding that and all your help. I mean I have flashed a couple hundred trucks in person and haven't had an issues and not even the usual LLY issues except for the stereo stuff.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I ran into something similar to this while installing tunes into a truck. He had the normal fuses. After I told it to full flash it started going threw the process and would get just past erase. Then kick the code $0101. And the ecm was dead. I ended up pulling radio, radio amp, tbc batt, tbc ignition, and the ignition fuses. After that it still didn't work. Rather embarrassing as the customer was sitting with me. I ended up trying to flash it probably 15-20 times before it finally went threw. I know it's kind of late but if I tune another lly I'm going to buy a bench tuner. So I don't know if it will work for you but persistence paid off in my case.

That is why I never have the person wait for me at the shop. tell them it needs to be dropped off and I'll get to it when I have a spare hour I hate it when someone is watching me or talking to me while I'm doing something. never works

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
That is why I never have the person wait for me at the shop. tell them it needs to be dropped off and I'll get to it when I have a spare hour I hate it when someone is watching me or talking to me while I'm doing something. never works

Oh man I ****ing hate that...

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Yeah anymore when someone wants to hang out and wait I just say I don't do that and if they want their rig worked on it has to be left. I will not even make money if they insist on watching or waiting while I work on it. I don't care lol I'm not hurtin that bad.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Ok so I went out and changed out the fuse bock and has ign power to all the pins now and still no full flash and when I do the auto detect it doesn't even recognize the e60 ecm. doesn't pop the fuses or anything. just dead. strange deal for sure. damn glad I kept that fuse bock out of that wrecked rig.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Pull the ecm and use a bench harness to full flash it. If you have one....

It's probably not going to recognize the ecm since it's dead.

You might also want to try using the 7.5 software to full flash it instead of the V8.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Pull the ecm and use a bench harness to full flash it. If you have one....

It's probably not going to recognize the ecm since it's dead.

You might also want to try using the 7.5 software to full flash it instead of the V8.

Done that! done it all lol, She gone!

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Wow. That sucks. I've only bricked a couple controllers. But it's very frustrating when it happens.

5 speed TCM's seem to be the most sensitive. For me at least.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Keep a spare one the shelf just for that. Like I posted I should have never sold the lly I had Tuesday but it was the one with the broken dowels and I showed the guy and he was ok with that so away it went.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Same here. I keep spares of everything.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Humor me and try what I said in my first post. I have had 4 or 5 LLY ECM's get "stuck" in an unrecognizable state. Unplugging the ECM fuse with the key on then plugging the fuse back in fixed it every time

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Humor me and try what I said in my first post. I have had 4 or 5 LLY ECM's get "stuck" in an unrecognizable state. Unplugging the ECM fuse with the key on then plugging the fuse back in fixed it every time

I will do that now that I have the good fuse block in there. I did pull the fuse earlier today and didn't hear anything.