LB7: dampers????

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
What gains are there?

Idk about power gains, but having a dampner that can FULLY cancel out cross torsional stress in the crankshaft is a big deal, i imagine it would allow the internal components to spin "better"

Think of an improperly balanced tire, like a low pro tire on a big wheel, throws the feel of the whole car off, but a perfectly balanced tire and wheel allow the vehicle suspension and steering to work to their perfect potential, so to speak

That is how i interpret the ati and fluiddampner literature at least....

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
you have to have the crank rebalanced when you change the damper?

I believe you have to have the whole rotating assembly balanced, there may be stock applications available to just bolt on, but not that i am aware of....to the best of my knowledge, which isn't much, the whole assembly needs to be rebalanced....

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I am looking at a FLUIDAMPER. Any thought?

well i can tell you that i put one on my truck without doing any research, but then did some research after i already put it. makes sense i know :confused:
anyways, out of all the research i have done i have yet to find any info from credible sources that know the knowledge first hand. but all of the second hand info that i have gathered pretty much said to not get a fluidampr cuz they are heavier and bigger than stock. everyone says to go with socal or ati damper. so i think you should take dudes advice and call guy... and then report back to us with what he says so we will be more edumicated:hug:

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
Socals are ati. Fwiw when building a motor with the fluid damper you balance the crank with the stock damper. I just remembered that.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I remember reading that fluid ones were having issues, and the ATI seemed to win out all the time. Don't remember all the details but that is why I run an ATI on my truck

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Socals are ati. Fwiw when building a motor with the fluid damper you balance the crank with the stock damper. I just remembered that.

Thats what I remember hearing aswell. Trucks are breaking cranks with and without aftermarket balancers. I chose to gamble with the stock balancer, but I'm not making that much power.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Yes and yes

imo you dont need one unless you need the sfi cert ive personally seen no lees crank breakage from guys that have them. I do have a one, and if you have a built motor what you do is balance your stock dampner and make the after market the same.

pi would never get a fluid damper jmho

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Thought I read somewhere the ATI dampner is almost 2 lbs lighter then the stocker.I like the idea of less spinning mass way out on the end of the crank.Also thought I read crank breakage was not as common in ATI'd trucks vs stock but that could be because a lot smaller percentage run the ATI.