LB7: dampers????

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
1000hp IIRC

Im running the stock one. rubber was in good shape and could not justify buying an ATI being Guy would only balance my crank with the stock dampener. 10k on it at 550hp and a few runs at 700hp

He told you he wouldn't balance it with an ATI?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He told you he wouldn't balance it with an ATI?

if it came down to me not having the stock one, he would but much prefered i have the stock one to balance with. he had good reasoning to back it but with the abundance of knowledge i was absorbing at the time, this didnt stay retained :D

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
If it is infact 2lbs lighter?:confused: Then yeah I would run one to.. My built motor that broke the crank had a stock balancer FYI..

LB7/LLY Stock 17.55lbs

LB7/LLY SoCal Super 16.55lbs

LBZ/LMM Stock 18.75lbs

LBZ/LMM SoCal Super 17.05lbs

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
mine only broke once. a handful of passes a full power, about 3000 total miles on the build and was usually run around a 700hp

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
if it came down to me not having the stock one, he would but much prefered i have the stock one to balance with. he had good reasoning to back it but with the abundance of knowledge i was absorbing at the time, this didnt stay retained :D

Mine was balance with the ATI damper. I haven't seen any problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I am putting my engine back together, and I pulled the damper off to ling up the cam and crack as well as put the fronts cover on, but I noticed that my stock named had a crack in it
It is not all the way through and not quite a inch long( on the back sided). Question is this safe to use, or do i need to replace it? I just had it balance, can I run another stock one or just go with a air?

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The fluid damper still uses a slip fit design and is heavier than stock. This can only put more force on the weak crank pin. Ati's/socal's damper is an interference fit that helps the damper become more of an integral part of the crank, further increasing its effectiveness. This is the biggest reason I intend on going with the Ati. Guy will tell you that the fluid damper will reduce vibrations, but does so more because of weight and covering up vibrations rather than true effectiveness. I tend to believe he knows what he is talking about.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I am putting my engine back together, and I pulled the damper off to ling up the cam and crack as well as put the fronts cover on, but I noticed that my stock named had a crack in it
It is not all the way through and not quite a inch long( on the back sided). Question is this safe to use, or do i need to replace it? I just had it balance, can I run another stock one or just go with a air?

I would get a replacement same as the one that was on it before