Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
Same here as LBZ except I was going about 40 on little boost about to set the cruise on a back road and then I got a engine light and heard bad noises and shut it down immediately

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
Id like to hear if anyone's had a crank failure since switching to alternative firing order...

I've been watching a few pullers run them and I'm waiting to see if one of theirs let loose. No sense spending any of the coin if it may/may not work. I don't have the $ to find out the hard way.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
it still seems to me that LBZ/LMM's break cranks much more than LLY/LB7s. i know of a few high mileage LB7 cranks in builds that are still going without issue, including my own. It helps i had brian save a good spare crank for any of us to use in case that infamous day comes though

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Id like to hear if anyone's had a crank failure since switching to alternative firing order...

I've been watching a few pullers run them and I'm waiting to see if one of theirs let loose. No sense spending any of the coin if it may/may not work. I don't have the $ to find out the hard way.

Since we started experimenting with this idea we have not scene one crank failure!

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Its crazy how some guys reuse the same crank on built motors, and then some just break on a stock rig.:confused:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Its crazy how some guys reuse the same crank on built motors, and then some just break on a stock rig.:confused:

That's why it seems to be a specific crank problem(i.e. manufacturing) rather than a design flaw. EPD doesn't have enough out there to convince me they've made anything better, but I do appreciate what they're doing.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I reused mine after it was tested. But it could still break, just like my stocklbz piston did.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
it still seems to me that LBZ/LMM's break cranks much more than LLY/LB7s. i know of a few high mileage LB7 cranks in builds that are still going without issue, including my own. It helps i had brian save a good spare crank for any of us to use in case that infamous day comes though

Good move in keeping a spare but my buddy broke his stock lbz crank then put an internally balanced lb7 crank in his lbz and it lasted two weeks. That wasn't alternative firing order tho... That was still 6 months out at the time

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Good move in keeping a spare but my buddy broke his stock lbz crank then put an internally balanced lb7 crank in his lbz and it lasted two weeks. That wasn't alternative firing order tho... That was still 6 months out at the time

im not saying they dont break, you just hear about them alot less in comparison. ive got a year and half on mine and 13k on it so far. this with a crank that had 165k on it when i tore the block down. i know Jake has even more on his and brian has just north of 100k on his.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
The End Cam order we are running is different then those all listed above.
We did use a couple variations before we got to where we are at now.
Customers running Alter Fire Cam

Sled Pulling Application:
Open Unlimited: 1
3.0 Pro Stock Class: 6
2.6 Street Diesel: 14

Street Trucks 18

Drag Race Only Application: 2

How many miles do the street trucks & street pullers have on them?

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
How many miles do the street trucks & street pullers have on them?

The first two (one street running Blower setup, One 3.0 Sled Pull Truck) that where done was 3 plus years ago. Miles on street truck last I knew was over 20k at which prior was only getting at most 500-2500 miles out of the cranks from the added stress of the cog pulley. Sled Pull truck has been over 1300 plus fly wheel for three seasons of supreme pounding and broken drive train which pushes extreme stress on the crank with no issues.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Looks like I will be able to measure torque flex in gross terms on the crank by logging the converter signal and Crank signal and plotting them against each other. I have a DAQ that should allow me to measure within 1/4° (15 arc min) at 4000 RPM. Since I can do that on a running engine, It has a good chance of pointing out the harmonic RPMs if that is what is happening.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Looks like I will be able to measure torque flex in gross terms on the crank by logging the converter signal and Crank signal and plotting them against each other. I have a DAQ that should allow me to measure within 1/4° (15 arc min) at 4000 RPM. Since I can do that on a running engine, It has a good chance of pointing out the harmonic RPMs if that is what is happening.

Looking forward to relating your findings to ours. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.