LB7: clunking feeling

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
WOW...my '89 sub use to do this...:rolleyes: When it get's real bad, it feels (and sounds) like the rear end just fell off.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The gm ones aren't too bad I don't think. If you buy aftermarket ones, make sure you get the non-greasable ones. The greasable ones are hollow and some guys have broke them when they put the power to them.

d-max joe

Feb 6, 2009
baltimore,md
you talking about the u-jonts?...i talking about the slip yoke/tail shaft it slides onto being sloppy not the u-joint i got new spicer ones in it

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I had a similar issue years back with a S-15 after I put 35s on it. after all kinds of trial and error, what fixed it was pressing in a new bushing in tailshft housing. It also stopped leaking after that.

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
My 05 LLY 4x4 with 130k has a lot of slack somewhere in the driveline. I thought it might be the splines needing greasing but I did that and it did nothing. If your off the gas then press it there is about a half second pause then it catches and makes a clunk. You can look under the truck and go from drive to reverese and it makes a loud clunk, but I can't tell if it is in the rearend or t case.

Anyway ive never driven something with this bad of slack in the driveline and its really annoying.

d-max joe

Feb 6, 2009
baltimore,md
yes it really is and, already replaced the seal on the tail shaft when i put the new slip yoke in...that lasted for bout month then it started to do it agian

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
mine does this and it only started when i built the trans i think that the rear tranny mount is not meant to be re used or is out of alignment causing a poping when pushing the break and letting off the brake. when i tighten the trac bars down real tight i dont have this issue.

im gonna try a new tranny mount

wambulance

Jul 18, 2012
Lomita Ca.
All be dam, the greese did it. It appears that the greese acks like a air seal and turns the slip yoke into a air spring. This seems to keep the drive shaft pushed out and allows for noise free axle wrap. We will see in a few weeks.:happy2:

rick765lbtq

dmaxrick765lbtq
Oct 7, 2013
Southern California
My truck does the same thing. I thought it might be the leaf springs. I wish I knew what the problem is.
btw I have 2,500 miles on the truck. The problem started at about 2k miles.

MechanicalReign

Mar 8, 2012
Ohio
I had the same problem with mine when i purchased it . I replaced My Transmission mount and it never clunked again. :D
By looking at it in there the trany mount didn't look bad at all. New one had little thicker rubber and when I took old one
out it had little stress cracks. Couldn't believe those little cracks gave it enough play to clunk. Hope this helps

Last edited: