clattering noise..

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Need to log the fuel pressure while this is happening . Maybe a regulator sticking on the cp3 pump .

What parts were used off old motor .

If it was injector harness it should short and throw codes letting you know injector harness with injector # ?? , Ck harness where is goes over bracket and around ficm on front pass side of motor .

Is it all stock or tuned and what tuning ?

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Im going to hook my efi live up tonight and see what the stock tune is on the truck, What do yall want the stock OS number? The truck is still running the stock tune, I have not tried to load any tunes in it til I got this figured out, I didn't want to hurt anything! Im going to load a small tune up on it tonight and see what it does.. Ill keep ya updated!

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Kayla are you the original owner of the truck? If by chance it was bought used it wouldn't be the first time a truck was sold with a tune in it.

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Kayla are you the original owner of the truck? If by chance it was bought used it wouldn't be the first time a truck was sold with a tune in it.

No she is not the original owner of it.. But I know for a fact theres no tune in it.. Thats why Im concerned.. The truck runs great and has plenty of power, just that clatter.. Is there something possibly wrong with the stock tuning? No codes at all.

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
check to see if the cp3 connection is loose. i know with guys who have duel fuelers when diagnosing if they unplug cp3 it defaults to full pressure. or is it vice versa, not 100% sure, but higher than normal fuel pressures DO cause a rattle that can be confused with timing rattle.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I'm no expert...but this has been my experience.

My stock tune clatters more than my EFI tunes, the engine just might not like that timing range.

Timing is actually decreased to meet the EPA's nox emmision requirements.

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
The truck DIDN"T throw a Check engine light but I hooked my EFI up anyways and checked for codes.. It had 2 codes.. They were P1621 P0802. I looked the codes up and P1621 is some type of ECM problem. And the P0802 is some type of TCM problem.. I have the ECM that mounts on the passenger side of motor that came with the new motor that was installed, but the mechanic didn't install it. He put my Original one back in. Should the mechanic of installed the other one since it came with the new motor? Or do I have to run the same one thats always been in the truck thats in there now? I read the stock tune off the truck also, is there anything that I should look at in the stock tune? I had to unhook the Positive cables on the batteries the other night to hook some stuff up, could that of caused the P1621? I cleared both codes and drove home. When I got home I checked for codes again and the only code present this time was the P1621... But AGAIN NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
The truck DIDN"T throw a Check engine light but I hooked my EFI up anyways and checked for codes.. It had 2 codes.. They were P1621 P0802. I looked the codes up and P1621 is some type of ECM problem. And the P0802 is some type of TCM problem.. I have the ECM that mounts on the passenger side of motor that came with the new motor that was installed, but the mechanic didn't install it. He put my Original one back in. Should the mechanic of installed the other one since it came with the new motor? Or do I have to run the same one thats always been in the truck thats in there now? I read the stock tune off the truck also, is there anything that I should look at in the stock tune? I had to unhook the Positive cables on the batteries the other night to hook some stuff up, could that of caused the P1621? I cleared both codes and drove home. When I got home I checked for codes again and the only code present this time was the P1621... But AGAIN NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.. Any ideas?

Check the battery grounds since you where just messing with the cables. Matter of fact I would check all the grounds since they just swapped the engine.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Check the battery grounds since you where just messing with the cables. Matter of fact I would check all the grounds since they just swapped the engine.

second that , ck all your block grounds too . Start cking all the connections . ecm , tcm , ficm , cp3 anything you can ck . main engine harness connector also .

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
P2610 Control Module Ignition Off Timer Performance

use the ecm that came with the motor. while you are checking grounds check to see if any wires were pinched or damaged in the swap. do you have the logs of it yet?

like stated above check all of the ecm pins :) keep at it we'll help you get up and running again!!

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
P2610 Control Module Ignition Off Timer Performance

use the ecm that came with the motor. while you are checking grounds check to see if any wires were pinched or damaged in the swap. do you have the logs of it yet?

like stated above check all of the ecm pins :) keep at it we'll help you get up and running again!!

The thing that came with the motor is the one that bolts on the motor, thats the FICM.. Would that cause anything?

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
The thing that came with the motor is the one that bolts on the motor, thats the FICM.. Would that cause anything?

if you switch it and it continues, then you've ruled out one piece. without hearing it and from what you describe my opinion is that it is a fueling issue IF the tune is a stock factory tune. unless it is an actual hard parts problem in which case you need to start doing compression checks of each cyl and balance rates of all injectors to start and then work from there after you get the results from those.

kyle

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
if you switch it and it continues, then you've ruled out one piece. without hearing it and from what you describe my opinion is that it is a fueling issue IF the tune is a stock factory tune. unless it is an actual hard parts problem in which case you need to start doing compression checks of each cyl and balance rates of all injectors to start and then work from there after you get the results from those.

kyle

Will the truck crank right up if I switch the FICM? Here is the Part # off the one thats on the truck now 8973037511. The spare one we have Part # is 8973037513. Is there any difference? Will it work right? Is that fuel line on it high pressure, that I need to be careful taking it out?

Last edited: