Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Went over the truck a bit yesterday. Tighten up the trans lines that were weeping, tighten up some loose hose clamps, topped coolant off and measured for a new belt. Really need a 147” but closest is the 149” so I bought that. Put that on today and going to leave it till I can pull the tensioner and try to clock it to get some more spring tension on the belt.

The new belt routes like the ppe kit with a dual fueler and oil centrifuge kit on it. But since it’s an lb7 acc bracket, the two idler pulleys are closer together than the newer trucks. Think this is why it fits a little looser than what most guys get. I.D like to find a green gator back 149 to put on too

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well i get to go see the sheep herder, least im pretty sure i will be. truck had been parked since the 21st when i did a 400 mile trip to the dunes and back. started her up today to take into work and enjoy the nice weather with turbos singing. first stop from teh house, 2nd to 1st banged pretty good but figured it was cause i had some fluid drain back from sitting. next couple stops it wasnt getting better, it was getting worse and it was all the shifts up and down. thought maybe the fluid was low so took it real easy. just before the freeway, converter would not unlock and drug extremely hard, then unlocked. get almost to work and she limps. check codes and got p0742 and p0776. cleared the codes and trans is now making some really bad noises when she starts rolling. checked fluid level and its a little low but nothing horrible (1/2 below the hot mark) but the fluid smells BAD. only has 2 trips on it since i checked it last and it was still great back in september. the heat i got coming down the hills probably did it in, dont know...

no good either way...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well in all my "cooling adventures", i have not kept track of engine mileage. checked today and just realized im at 53k on the engine. i have surpassed my goal from the original build. i and alot of guys thought it was a little far fetched but she made it and keeps on kickin! pretty sure the water pump is not happy though. i get a whine from it once the engine is warm and there is pressure in the system. it has always had a little whine but its getting worse.

Also towed my rig down to glamis this past weekend. 6th gear brought the exhaust drone back into the cab like i figured it would. unloaded its quiet but loaded, drone picks up. time to run the exhaust all the way out the back. Shift points did get dialed in though. i was afraid that not having a tap shifter, it would make pulling grades in 6th bring the suck. most grades, 6th was just fine. id peak 1200* EGT at 70mph. on a larger hill, i could roll into the throttle a tad more and it would kick down to 5th, egts would drop 100-150* and it would hold 5th the whole time without hunting back and forth. Josh is suppose to be coming out with a tap shifter soon to work with the conversion and ill picking it up. i know there will be times ill probably be at an inbetween point and it will hunt gears. changing shift points will help but you just move the issue to another point in hill grades or shift later/sooner than you want on flat ground under that certain throttle position. MPG brought the suck as i had a cross wind all the way down (cruising egt was 1000*) and a 50mph gust cross wind all the way back. i was driving sideways down the highway. trailer tires started to bubble from it so its time to upgrade them to the new G load rated tires for 16" rims. help get rid of alot of trailer sway too

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You've got me excited for this 6 speed kit. Keep us posted, it sounds really promising.

Glad to hear you're racking up the miles without issue too! I think I am around 30k on my build and so far so good. And since I don't tow as heavy as you, I'd like to think I can get at least as many miles out of mine. Time will tell.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You've got me excited for this 6 speed kit. Keep us posted, it sounds really promising.

Glad to hear you're racking up the miles without issue too! I think I am around 30k on my build and so far so good. And since I don't tow as heavy as you, I'd like to think I can get at least as many miles out of mine. Time will tell.

i would bet you would be fine Dave. ive had more drivetrain issues than ive ever had engine issues lol.

Ditto, just read the Carnage thread and no mention of 6th. What kit is this?

My buddy Josh came up with the software to integrate into the stock TCM as well as a few other changes so the 01-05 trucks can have 6th gear and it works exactly like it would have come off the show room floor with some plus's like no unlock of the TC on a down shift (04 and older trucks unlock the TC), commanded TC lock up every time when WOT from 2nd gear on, etc. nick at dmaxtuner picked him and sells it all through his shop.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James how much HP are you towing with 600hp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highway on flat ground, couldnt tell ya. hills, anywhere from 450-600hp. WOT will happen any time im trying to get back up to speed after a semi slowed me up a hill and i need to merge back into traffic or if im making a pass on a 2 lane road. during the winter, im using 500+ alot more up the hills as she stays in 5th gear and stays nice and cool. there is no "easy footing" this thing unless it starts getting hot, then the throttle starts coming back up. 300+ hp at 240* coolant temp isnt the best on internal parts either

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
I wonder if you friend could figure out how to do the tap shift for the 06+ Kodiak. One guy is supposed to have it on a 5 speed truck but nothing on a 6 speed truck yet.:hello:

How heavy is your trailer again?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
636f74778adecbc4ac6d0658877e4faa.jpg

New shoes on the limo. I’ve wanted these tires since I lifted it back in 06, just never seemed to work out. Made it happen this go round and love how the 13.50s fill the truck out more. I was expecting it to turn harder at a stop but noticed no difference thus far. See if that changes as they wear

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It’s a good “10 footer”. Tons of little rock chips in the rockers, one fender needs some glass work as it’s cracked in a couple places, clear coat is sorta splitting and there are some dents that bug me. Hopefully have it all repainted and looking new by end of the year.

These are Toyo m/t 37x13.50r17s. My all time favorite. In world of big wheels and stretched tires, I’m keepin it OG lol

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Now that's the stance of a real truck. Not a flatbillers'.

I'm thinking Toyota MTs next time. I'd love Mickey Thompson MTZs, but just cost to damn much. James what have you heard about Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
The toyo RTs are my favorite off-road tires as of now. Your truck definitely has a different stance than most nowadays. I still love it lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Now that's the stance of a real truck. Not a flatbillers'.

I'm thinking Toyota MTs next time. I'd love Mickey Thompson MTZs, but just cost to damn much. James what have you heard about Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Heard good things. Never seen a nitto get real long mileage but I think guys are getting around 40k ish out of them (more or less depending on variables as you know)

Looks great!

Always loved that tire

Thank you!

The toyo RTs are my favorite off-road tires as of now. Your truck definitely has a different stance than most nowadays. I still love it lol

They just don’t have the aggression for me. They weigh about as much as the m/t too which these damn things are HEAVY. It’s still that early 2000s era look. 90s to the 2000s was my fav in off road years. Everyone was trying something new and different, so many different looking rigs, engineering, and what would last/not last. Prior to all the cali lean crap, “bro dozer” saying, and other shit made up lmao. Different time back then

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
636f74778adecbc4ac6d0658877e4faa.jpg

New shoes on the limo. I’ve wanted these tires since I lifted it back in 06, just never seemed to work out. Made it happen this go round and love how the 13.50s fill the truck out more. I was expecting it to turn harder at a stop but noticed no difference thus far. See if that changes as they wear
Excuse my junk phone, what tires are they?? Looks wicked none the less

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk