Caterpillar

dmaxadermist

Nov 11, 2009
it come to my attention or well someone told me that at one time chevrolet had the chance to put cat engines in their trucks dont get me wrong i love my dmax its awesome but dang!!! picture it a cat motor in a chevy so i have hatched an idea i want to see what it would be like if they had put them in thier trucks, so what im asking is what kind of cat motor would be a good candidate for a seat in a chevy, people are always putting cummins in fords and other cars so why cant i try my luck with a cat motor

OhioDuramax

Jan 10, 2010
ive heard the same thing and also heard ford may have done it while ago. oh well, it would be really cool to do, probably alot of work cuz where do you get the harnesses and stuff?

dmaxadermist

Nov 11, 2009
i wouldnt know how but i think there could be versions of it like the cummins 12 valve like a mechanical pump injection system rather than like fuel injection stuff i dont think ill ever have the time or money to try this but its something id like to do

dmax lb7

EFI Ignorant
Feb 21, 2008
Rohnert Park Nor-Cal
its not a cat, but back in collage we put a 4-53 Detroit in one of my instructors old chevys. turned out really nice,especially since his 16 year old son got it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
wtf is wrong with the dmax? Why would you want a cat? Because its painted yellow and has a "big diesel" name? :rolleyes:

Who cares, the C7 is a piece of shit anyways.

ben

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Nothing wrong with a C7, or any of the other HEUI's built since they took the C series name. Granted the 3126 liked to leak oil once in awhile but we beat the crap out of them at work and they hold up great.

I wouldn't put a CAT in as a transplant in anything that wasn't originally built to hold it. They are heavy and expensive!!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
3100 series are pretty tall, very heavy & don't make alot power. They do take a pretty good beating. C7 is the replacement for the 3100 series. The power is good, but Cat is still having issues with the huei pumps. Cat doesn't really have a good engine small enough for a pickup.

Last edited:

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't want any HUEI engine

We have some 3126E's at work they are gutless but pretty reliable I would never replace a Duramax with one

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
6500 and up get the 7.8 duramax LG4/6HK1

or the 7.2 cat C7

or the 8.1 gasser

ben

Not sure what part of my ass I pulled 8.3 from.... :eek:

Knew they got 8.1, but a C7?? New to me. That in the older 6500+ trucks or current as well???

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I don't see why you would ever want a Cat in a pick up?????? Would it be because you thihnk it would be cool to have the name Cat on your truck??? It's kinda like Cummins I guess????

No thankyou I'll stick to my little isuzu motor:thumb:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
You think the dmax is expensive to work on put a 3116 or 3126 in your truck. i work for CAT and the saying around work is Can't Afford This

Last edited: