Can you guess what these are?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I went and picked up 12 gallons of raw unfiltered apple juice last night. The starting gravity without adding at honey or sugar was 1.053 so considering fructose is 100% fermentable the final gravity will be at .999 which puts the abv at 7.2%. Should taste pretty good.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I went and picked up 12 gallons of raw unfiltered apple juice last night. The starting gravity without adding at honey or sugar was 1.053 so considering fructose is 100% fermentable the final gravity will be at .999 which puts the abv at 7.2%. Should taste pretty good.

send me some when its done :D :hug:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I was messing around with some apple juice & cider the other day, found out later after I had mixed it I was given the wrong amounts. I did a gallon each but batch was only supposed to be 1/2 gallon each to one bottle of clear

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I was messing around with some apple juice & cider the other day, found out later after I had mixed it I was given the wrong amounts. I did a gallon each but batch was only supposed to be 1/2 gallon each to one bottle of clear

Making cider is very easy to make in comparison to beer. Everything has to be sterilized. Are you guys using campden tablets to kill off wild yeast? I am fermenting using 2 types of yeast Wyeast Cider yeast and White Labs English Cider yeast. I made my yeast starters last week. Did you guys aerate with o2? Brewing anything you have to be diligent on quality control as contaminated beer or cider sucks. I would hate to have to dump 12 gallons of cider

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Im not messing around with brewing, Im just making some apple pie with moonshine or everclear(which is alot cheaper than shine)
I dont have the time or patience for brewing

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Im not messing around with brewing, Im just making some apple pie with moonshine or everclear(which is alot cheaper than shine)
I dont have the time or patience for brewing

The equipment required for making beer is very expensive as well. I wanna make my own small scale distillery at some point. Ill build it in the backyard, plenty of tree coverage ha

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Ugh thats not cheap, I feel like you could make something on your own kinda like the make your own biodiesel kit vs. the multi thousand dollar machines

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Ugh thats not cheap, I feel like you could make something on your own kinda like the make your own biodiesel kit vs. the multi thousand dollar machines

Absolutely... i've got a buddy who is a fabricator by profession and he would help me build a sculpture but there is something so nice about MoreBeers kit :D.

Update: added yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme last night so when I get home after work today i will be able to pitch the yeast. then the fun begins

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Ah the yeast are eating :D this is at roughly 9 hours into fermentation.

Carboy on the left has white labs cider yeast and carboy on the right has Wyeast cider yeast. I'm getting decent activity in the air locks but the wyeast seems to be getting off to a quicker start

2uvatave.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

[YOUTUBE]SxPTf8wD7zw[/YOUTUBE]

Holy hell the krausen is growing extremely fast with the Wyeast. Look at the different these pictures were taken 25 minutes apart

zave7ana.jpg

Last edited: