Camomax goes 11.30 at Thompson

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Matt's truck

Tom I think Matt's last fuel only pass was a 12.9 something. I'm sure he could tell you but it's in the high 12's. Jeff

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tom I think Matt's last fuel only pass was a 12.9 something. I'm sure he could tell you but it's in the high 12's. Jeff

Geezus Jeff...1.6 seconds difference?!? Naw, that cant be right. He's gotta be low 12s at least.
If thats true, then just how much nitrous ARE you guys running through that engine?

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Not much

He can run a race on one bottle. I think he gets 6 or 7 passes on a bottle. Just think of nitrous as a bigger turbo (more air) and tune accordingly. You MUST 60' good and run good at the 330' to make a good et. The first part of the track is the most important. Jeff

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
if you guys havent went there yet put a launcher system on then you can just dial the nos to exactly were you want it...

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Matt, if you ever think about it....sometime make a pass without nitrous so we know what the heck that truck does on just #2.

My bet is you're running very low 12's/high 11s on #2 alone which is exceptionally cool :D.

Geezus Jeff...1.6 seconds difference?!? Naw, that cant be right. He's gotta be low 12s at least.
If thats true, then just how much nitrous ARE you guys running through that engine?

As Jeff has said about his own truck and Matt's you can't just turn off the nitrous to see how it does on #2 only. That would be like me throwing on a stock turbo to see how it does. Or you take your turbo off to see how you run naturally aspirated. It will do very poorly and smoke like no other in any case. Both Jeff and Matt would run completely different tuning if they were going to try to make a fast fuel only pass.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
As Jeff has said about his own truck and Matt's you can't just turn off the nitrous to see how it does on #2 only. That would be like me throwing on a stock turbo to see how it does. Or you take your turbo off to see how you run naturally aspirated. It will do very poorly and smoke like no other in any case. Both Jeff and Matt would run completely different tuning if they were going to try to make a fast fuel only pass.

x2.... Joey (LB7Diesel) ran a full second faster about 3 years ago running nitrous and IIRC he wasn't running that big of a jet. Tom, Dustin is right i highly doubt Camomax's truck would correctly on just #2 the way it is currently setup

Last edited:

camomax

pushing the limits
Nov 5, 2008
Florida
Tom, these guys are all right on the money. Every tuning change that has been made on my truck has been based on nitrous, and tested at the track. Trial and error and luck have got it this far. I'm sure as hell no tuner, but with help from Jeff and Adam and the people on this site, it manages to keep getting faster. I've never changed my 4an feed line, just tried different jets(up to .100), in various places.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, no matter how you're doing it, you're doing it right! I didnt know that tuning had to be drastically changed to run nitrous. I always thought it was just "add it and go faster".

Matt, what you're doing is exceptional and my hat's off to you!

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I didnt know that tuning had to be drastically changed to run nitrous. I always thought it was just "add it and go faster".

If air is your limiting factor you can just "add it and go faster", just as you can with a turbo upgrade - but on a tune that is dialed in for your truck's current setup you should be pretty balanced and not have air as a drastic limiting factor. And you will only go faster until you are no longer limited by air, then you need to make tuning and/or hard parts changes to get more fuel before you can add more nitrous and again go faster. So to get results like Matt has gotten takes alot more tuning and dialing in than just "add it and go faster", which is why every stock motor Duramax at the track isn't running like Matt's.

This is still all fairly dumbed down, IMO dialing a truck in on nitrous is if anything harder than dialing it in on fuel. Turbos perform more consistantly (at a given altitude) than nitrous which can be greatly affected by bottle pressure and temp - so your test and tune sessions have a few more variables for you to worry about.