caltracs vs traction bars

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Fyi I cut average 1.7 60 ft times, still playing with tire # on the slicks, mother nature closed the track for me and josh sat.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
What are the pros and cons Simon?

well imo tubes are all pro.

I can run as low as 13 psi with tubes, this gets you more tire contact.
without the tubes we only had about 60 % with tubes your well above 90%

some people screw the slicks to the rims, I mark mine with a marker and they havnt spun yet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

some people screw the slicks to the rims, I mark mine with a marker and they havnt spun yet.

does it keep the tire from "rolling under" its self if that makes sense?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

I've run as low as 8 psi in my slicks. Last time out I ran them at 12 and was able to get a 1.65 60' and a couple of 1.67s. I also marked the sidewall to make sure it wasn't moving, and I have not seen any movement at all. No tubes in mine.

rcr450mx

Dec 7, 2010
Indiana
It sounds like my next move on the truck is going to have to be caltracs and slicks. are you guys running slicks on the pyo's or just a steelie?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I've run as low as 8 psi in my slicks. Last time out I ran them at 12 and was able to get a 1.65 60' and a couple of 1.67s. I also marked the sidewall to make sure it wasn't moving, and I have not seen any movement at all. No tubes in mine.

Josh

You got ballz:D I feel safer running less pressure with tubes VS just lowering the tire press.

Good to know that you ran that low though!

One thing about running tubes is you will have to drill out the valve stem holes,That could be considered a down fall

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
It sounds like my next move on the truck is going to have to be caltracs and slicks. are you guys running slicks on the pyo's or just a steelie?

If your running slicks you would be best to buy a lightweight rim, imo.

less rotational mass. The pyo are lightweight and strong, but I dont think they are wide enough for a slick. a steelie would be the same and heavier.

iirc my rim and slick are 47 lbs ea.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
You can run m and h drag radials on factory 16 inch wheels. I did and cut some good 60 ft in 2wd but only on a sticky track. Slicks are better as track prep fails.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
You can run m and h drag radials on factory 16 inch wheels. I did and cut some good 60 ft in 2wd but only on a sticky track. Slicks are better as track prep fails.

And they are light! Not sure what Spooner & Rob run for radials but i didnt like the M&H radials, Due to the size. I ran out of RPM

ghostrider01

on here to learn!
Dec 6, 2009
NM/WY
I thought caltracs were more for 2wd and traction bars were more for 4wd cause the traction bars would move more weight forward as the caltracs would bring more movement to the rear or has this theory been tested and been changed?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thought caltracs were more for 2wd and traction bars were more for 4wd cause the traction bars would move more weight forward as the caltracs would bring more movement to the rear or has this theory been tested and been changed?

It all depends on setup.

ghostrider01

on here to learn!
Dec 6, 2009
NM/WY
It all depends on setup.

Very true. So traction bars are more or less for pulling while caltracs are more of an all around good tool for street, mild and seldom towing and a little street action? I've read countless threads trying to get an answer on this and it kinda seems to always fall back more on opinion then proven fact..maybe I'm over reading things but that's what I'm understanding.