C1 stack and clearance

cjewellz

Mar 15, 2016
Hopefully someone can help here. I have a 2005 I am building with alto clutches, and when I stack the C1's I only have .071 of clearance. The spiral ring isn't installed yet, and I am using an indicator and pulling up evenly on the backing plate. My backing plate measures .440. Also the stack consist of 8 external spline single sided frictions and 8 internal splined single sided frictions. I started with an internal splined, friction side up, and ended with and external spline friction up. I was thinking the backing plate should have been .400ish which would have made the clearance check out. I can push the whole pack down about .020. Should I add that or do I need to put the backing plate on the lathe? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Hopefully someone can help here. I have a 2005 I am building with alto clutches, and when I stack the C1's I only have .071 of clearance. The spiral ring isn't installed yet, and I am using an indicator and pulling up evenly on the backing plate. My backing plate measures .440. Also the stack consist of 8 external spline single sided frictions and 8 internal splined single sided frictions. I started with an internal splined, friction side up, and ended with and external spline friction up. I was thinking the backing plate should have been .400ish which would have made the clearance check out. I can push the whole pack down about .020. Should I add that or do I need to put the backing plate on the lathe? Thanks for your help.

Cut the plate to .420 and you'll be good to go.

How thick is the apply plate?

cjewellz

Mar 15, 2016
I should have bought it from Evan like you told me to Mike, but I had to go a little cheaper route. Wife, four kids, two houses...blah blah blah couldn't go that route at this time. Thanks for the help guys!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Nothing wrong with buying the kit from ATP.
LISTEN UP GUYS.
Kits rarely fit no matter who you buy from. Snap ring groove gaps in the main shaft have a lot to do with clutch clearance. The wider the gap the more clearance.
Every trans a little different and that's why we have to stock different steel and friction clutches to get the clearance right.
The DIY doesn't have this in stock and most of you DIY's don't give a rats ass anyways what your clearance is till it doesn't work.
When I sold kits, I sized every clutch pack in house with a margin of error to make sure it fit. Evan does this. NOBODY ELSE DOES THIS. Too much trouble for me and most vendors. I don't have the time to walk you through a kit install.
So if you're going to do a kit install; ( you are not doing a build ) and you don't have all these different size plates to set proper clearance, buy your kit from someone that will hold your hand through the kit install. Have fun Evan:D
I posted this because I get so many tech calls from people that don't have any idea what they are doing. I will not name some of the big name shops that call on a regular basis. Actually they all call me.:D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You've sorta set yourself up for that from all the years of helping, Mike.
Kinda makes one wonder what's going to happen when you decide to retire from Duramaxes and Allisons, doesnt it??

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You've sorta set yourself up for that from all the years of helping, Mike.
Kinda makes one wonder what's going to happen when you decide to retire from Duramaxes and Allisons, doesnt it??

I still enjoy it Tom. There are things I am doing that only a choice few people know about. More things are in the works. :D

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
If I ever tear a trans apart, it's because it's getting scrapped. I learn quick, and can troubleshoot well (when my ADD allows), but trans work is too expensive and tedious for me to **** up to pay to have fixed.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Nothing wrong with buying the kit from ATP.
LISTEN UP GUYS.
Kits rarely fit no matter who you buy from. Snap ring groove gaps in the main shaft have a lot to do with clutch clearance. The wider the gap the more clearance.
Every trans a little different and that's why we have to stock different steel and friction clutches to get the clearance right.
The DIY doesn't have this in stock and most of you DIY's don't give a rats ass anyways what your clearance is till it doesn't work.
When I sold kits, I sized every clutch pack in house with a margin of error to make sure it fit. Evan does this. NOBODY ELSE DOES THIS. Too much trouble for me and most vendors. I don't have the time to walk you through a kit install.
So if you're going to do a kit install; ( you are not doing a build ) and you don't have all these different size plates to set proper clearance, buy your kit from someone that will hold your hand through the kit install. Have fun Evan:D
I posted this because I get so many tech calls from people that don't have any idea what they are doing. I will not name some of the big name shops that call on a regular basis. Actually they all call me.:D

X2 ^^,, The only "Kit" I have ever seen/bought were everything specced out correctly was the one I got recently from Evan. I was amazed how far off the stacks were on my buddies Gmax 5 kit. Made me scratch my head and wonder how many people just throw these things together assuming the clutch packs have the correct clearances just because its "A Kit"…. For the small difference in price it is 100% worthwhile to buy parts from Evan simply for the tech support alone, for us DIY'ers its a small price to pay if and when a question arises IMO..

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
X2 ^^,, The only "Kit" I have ever seen/bought were everything specced out correctly was the one I got recently from Evan. I was amazed how far off the stacks were on my buddies Gmax 5 kit. Made me scratch my head and wonder how many people just throw these things together assuming the clutch packs have the correct clearances just because its "A Kit"…. For the small difference in price it is 100% worthwhile to buy parts from Evan simply for the tech support alone, for us DIY'ers its a small price to pay if and when a question arises IMO..

Exactly. Not just his customer service but his top quality parts. There is a lot if info thats not on forums

whiterock06

Nov 4, 2015
That is what makes this forum a good place to spend some time. People who devote their time to diy'ers like me and take the rough edges off of repairs are special. I do all my repairs myself being on a very limited income and appreciate any time you guys devote to the art

06 Crewcab long bed Lbz

cjewellz

Mar 15, 2016
X2^^^
Well, I machined .020 off of my C1 backing plate and clearances are good now, .091. All other packs checked out mid spec. Thanks Evan!