Busted by police for deleting

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Problem is though, lets say one day you want to travel and you go through a roadside inspection in a state that DOES do emissions inspections. Now you get away with breaking the law in your home state because they don't care(goes along with Wyoming's rebelious spirit), but that other state does care and enforces federal laws. OR if you sell your truck to somebody else, they take it out of state to an area with emissions testing, it fails because it's deleted, who are they coming back on? The current owner? Try again, he will say he bought it that way, and now they're coming after you. Don't believe me, do a search here and see where it happened to a member here awhile back. It's a different world now, break the laws, pay the price. With that being said, I know my BURB isn't "legal" to the complete letter of the law either as it has my own "conservative" street tuning in it:D. And IF I had an LMM, you could be that DPF would be resting in the rafters of my shop, not under the truck.

Ferm, I could see this if the vehicle that got pulled over for inspection was registered in a state that complies with emissions. My attorney assured me that this all comes down to what state the vehicle is registered in and if they comply with emissions. I asked him what if I travel to California and get pulled over. He said that if they were to ever try to fine a person whos vehicle is registered in a state with non compliance emissions then we have a case. He said it wont happen.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ferm, I could see this if the vehicle that got pulled over for inspection was registered in a state that complies with emissions. My attorney assured me that this all comes down to what state the vehicle is registered in and if they comply with emissions. I asked him what if I travel to California and get pulled over. He said that if they were to ever try to fine a person whos vehicle is registered in a state with non compliance emissions then we have a case. He said it wont happen.

I wish it was that simple. A state cannot change federal regulations. If you tamper with factory emissions equipment, you are breaking federal laws, not state laws. On the other hand, if you go to California with a cold air intake or something else that doesn't have a CARB number on it, you're probably right.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Regardless of where you get pulled over, is it not a federal law you cannot tamper with emissions equipment?

My state has no testing for diesels but, its still illegal to remove cats etc

Damn, treed lol

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I wish it was that simple. A state cannot change federal regulations. If you tamper with factory emissions equipment, you are breaking federal laws, not state laws. On the other hand, if you go to California with a cold air intake or something else that doesn't have a CARB number on it, you're probably right.

Unless something has changed that I am aware of an individual can do whatever they want to their own vehicle. A shop cannot tamper with federal emissions. Regardless of how this all may shake out I am willing to break the law. Hillary has no problem with it lol!

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Unless something has changed that I am aware of an individual can do whatever they want to their own vehicle. A shop cannot tamper with federal emissions. Regardless of how this all may shake out I am willing to break the law. Hillary has no problem with it lol!

You might want to check the laws regarding how it is against the law for an individual to remove a federal or CARB emissions device and drive it on a public roadway, see Fermans post #72

I'm positive it's in the link below, somewhere....

https://www3.epa.gov/

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Case in point is everyone on this forum has broken the law then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those of us with federal lb7 emission vehicles never had anything to remove that would break the law, the Feds said it was ok back then to mfg's :D

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Those of us with federal lb7 emission vehicles never had anything to remove that would break the law, the Feds said it was ok back then to mfg's :D

Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it. Just one more reason why I swapped in an lb7, I could legally remove my cat converter.

As to being from say Wyoming where they fould care less and go to Commiefornia, yes they can and have fined vehicles there for tampering with emissions. They're even known for setting up roadside checks thete to have a look see. They cannot fine you for not meeting Cali emissions in a federal vehicle, but they CAN fine you for not meeting federal. And federal laws apply to everybody, not just commercial shops. It boils down to wether they want to go after the individual, or the bigger fish in the end.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it. Just one more reason why I swapped in an lb7, I could legally remove my cat converter.

As to being from say Wyoming where they fould care less and go to Commiefornia, yes they can and have fined vehicles there for tampering with emissions. They're even known for setting up roadside checks thete to have a look see. They cannot fine you for not meeting Cali emissions in a federal vehicle, but they CAN fine you for not meeting federal. And federal laws apply to everybody, not just commercial shops. It boils down to wether they want to go after the individual, or the bigger fish in the end.

Well tonight @ golf league I drilled my attorney again on this and he seemed to have changed his stance on this. He agreed with everything that you guys have stated and said that we are all basically screwed if we get caught. I went on to tell him how the inspection police would send you to the nearest dealer to have work done. I asked him about renting a uhaul or having it transported home? He said that could be an option.

On these road side inspections are they just doing visuals or more to them? I just bought a 16 that I may leave alone for a bit. On the other hand my wife may not be happy to know her 13' powerstroke is riding dirty lol!

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Knock on wood, but I have never ever been pulled into a roadside testing place. And I reside in baby Kali... NJ. I am fairly certain the roadside testing places are a thing of the past as well for the most part.

If NJ is doing away with inspections for older cars, and has no inspection for diesels, you midwest guys are chicken littles. :D

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
SC, no safety inspection no matter how old it is, no emissions testing period, no road side checks, ever, loud exhaust and lifted trucks, normal.

In fact hook any trailer, car trailer, enclosed trailer, open landscape trailer, boat & trailer to any vehicle and its considered registered as it is attached to a SC tagged vehicle.

Tinted windows, no problem, loud pipes on a Harley or ricer, no problem.

The reason I left Liberal CT and moved to SC........like minded people, even after that nut-bag shot up that church last year not one gun law got tightened down here.

So if you like living under the opression of retarded liberalism and refuse to move that is your choice, I am sure other places have similar relaxed standards.

It only gets bad locally when locals want something, and if they don't want it then it does not come around.

As far as I know Federal Laws are what they are, but without a federal force locally to enforce them its up to the local LEO's, and some of them are just bigger dicks about stuff than others are.

:D

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
SC, no safety inspection no matter how old it is, no emissions testing period, no road side checks, ever, loud exhaust and lifted trucks, normal.

In fact hook any trailer, car trailer, enclosed trailer, open landscape trailer, boat & trailer to any vehicle and its considered registered as it is attached to a SC tagged vehicle.

Tinted windows, no problem, loud pipes on a Harley or ricer, no problem.

The reason I left Liberal CT and moved to SC........like minded people, even after that nut-bag shot up that church last year not one gun law got tightened down here.

So if you like living under the opression of retarded liberalism and refuse to move that is your choice, I am sure other places have similar relaxed standards.

It only gets bad locally when locals want something, and if they don't want it then it does not come around.

As far as I know Federal Laws are what they are, but without a federal force locally to enforce them its up to the local LEO's, and some of them are just bigger dicks about stuff than others are.

:D

Emissions vs. black flies and mosquitoes, I'll take emissions, lol.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
On these road side inspections are they just doing visuals or more to them?

I seen a roadside inspection about a year ago near my work that was on a simi busy road.

it looked to be a rolling dyno and related siffer, etc so they can do smog checks on top of the visual. looked like a mobile smog station built into a trailer with highway patrol, state/epa officials, etc all having a party putting people's vehicles up on it :driving::driving2:

i wonder if it was mandatory or not?

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I seen a roadside inspection about a year ago near my work that was on a simi busy road.

it looked to be a rolling dyno and related siffer, etc so they can do smog checks on top of the visual. looked like a mobile smog station built into a trailer with highway patrol, state/epa officials, etc all having a party putting people's vehicles up on it :driving::driving2:

i wonder if it was mandatory or not?

In NJ, least in the old days it was mandatory to pull in to check if you had a valid sticker along with a quick safety inspection. If you did not have a sticker or a failed sticker, you got tested. Otherwise you went through.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Emissions vs. black flies and mosquitoes, I'll take emissions, lol.

I sit on my porch every night, not sure what you think SC is like, you might be confused with a LA Bayou or some other sub tropical location.

We got bugs around here for sure, spiders, etc, we got lizards, bats, owls, I got cans of Raid and Terminix coming to kill everything there is every 3 months.

:roflmao:

The guy sprayed my yard for bugs about two weeks ago, he does my neighbors on either side of me............ain't even seen a spider in 2 weeks, an occasional bug, but its all been eradicated at least in my yard........LOL