Built transmission and shift time?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
So skint.... is the conclusion that at least some of your delayed shifting can be attributed to mechanical slipping of the clutches rather than a tuning issue?

This has been a golden thread though! Reminds me of the old days!! Thanks gentlemen! :thumb: I hope Tom sees this, he's been dissappointed with the lack of technical discussion on here lately. This one fills that void nicely. :)

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So skint.... is the conclusion that at least some of your delayed shifting can be attributed to mechanical slipping of the clutches rather than a tuning issue?

This has been a golden thread though! Reminds me of the old days!! Thanks gentlemen! :thumb: I hope Tom sees this, he's been dissappointed with the lack of technical discussion on here lately. This one fills that void nicely. :)

There are less technical discussions here because most of the people here are pretty well educated on the Allison.
It's nice not getting the same old questions like " when should I change my spin on and such " and then arguing with the dumbshit that asked the question.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
You should be good to go Mike if that's when you bought them. I've had the new style GPZ in my 06 and have torn it down a few times to try new things and evertime they have been right where I set them. I've seen .175 clearance on some older builds using the original GPZ c1's and so far only one complete failure from a two year old build.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Show i would say i have found a problem with it not shifting on time is it all the problem only time will tell i should have it back up and running in about a month i sent out my injectors for some motorsports nozzles so that should give the new trans set up a run for it's money :D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Show i would say i have found a problem with it not shifting on time is it all the problem only time will tell i should have it back up and running in about a month i sent out my injectors for some motorsports nozzles so that should give the new trans set up a run for it's money :D

How much pressure are you running?

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Here is some pictures. The color difference in the c1's EX/IN were like that from new i didn't think anything of it. you can now rub clutch material off the EX spline with your fingers

IMO from what i have seen, i believe what led to the failure of c3 was a few things. Growing clearance in c1 (which has since been fixed) probably contributed as much as the poor quality of steel used in the early design Raybestos c3/c4 steels. Overpowering could have also played a factor as clearance grew, possibly poor tuning... multiple factors probably contributed. Quality of material along with coating technology has been an issue but is getting rectified and handled. This is the main reason we went full Alto steels on c3/c4 (3 thick 2 thin) VS (5) Raybestos .086 steels we were using prior to. It's getting worked out though, No one ever said being on the tip of the spear in technology was going to be easy. Send these to me and i will update you free of charge.

Last edited:

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
That would great Andrew Thank you i will ship them out today/tomorrow. Ya'll wouldn't happen to have any Alto/kolen steels .086 would you i need 12

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
IMO from what i have seen, i believe what led to the failure of c3 was a few things. Growing clearance in c1 (which has since been fixed) probably contributed as much as the poor quality of steel used in the early design Raybestos c3/c4 steels. Overpowering could have also played a factor as clearance grew, possibly poor tuning... multiple factors probably contributed. Quality of material along with coating technology has been an issue but is getting rectified and handled. This is the main reason we went full Alto steels on c3/c4 (3 thick 2 thin) VS (5) Raybestos .086 steels we were using prior to. It's getting worked out though, No one ever said being on the tip of the spear in technology was going to be easy. Send these to me and i will update you free of charge.

It is not poor tuning!:thumb: