Building trans, which converter?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
My 1058 locks nice. It's not this harsh lockup you guys speak up. Is TCM tuning all that is needed to change all the shift points or is that ECM tuning?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The harshness is a lock up but it can't be eliminated. It is how the converter is. The only other item that affects the feel will be Trans clearances and clutch materials.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I will look into that right now . I did a 6% increase on my 5th gear lockup that seemed to have made it much less harsh having it up in the rpms and speed thanks dmaxchris

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I will look into that right now . I did a 6% increase on my 5th gear lockup that seemed to have made it much less harsh having it up in the rpms and speed thanks dmaxchris

No problem. Mine is 26% higher. Lol. Try bumping each gear up a few mph and see how much more fun and responsive it is.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
There are also converter clutch adapts that need to be reset.

Hey Mike getting ready for first drive of a newly built transmission. I started a thread asking this but would feel better if you could confirm it. Can the TAPPS be reset using a V-2??? And now how about the ones for the converter lock up, can they be done as well and do they get done differently???
If I have to go to the Dealership and have them do it with a Tech-2 will I need to request they reset the converter lock up too???

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Hey Mike getting ready for first drive of a newly built transmission. I started a thread asking this but would feel better if you could confirm it. Can the TAPPS be reset using a V-2??? And now how about the ones for the converter lock up, can they be done as well and do they get done differently???
If I have to go to the Dealership and have them do it with a Tech-2 will I need to request they reset the converter lock up too???

Not to speak for Mike but, the v2 can reset TAPS. It is not the same as doing a quick learn with a Tech-II. If you dont have anyone with a Tech-II, the dealer should be able to do it. Its best to do it before the truck is driven. Not sure if it will hurt anything if you have to drive it before doing the quick learn. Not sure about the TCC adapts.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Not to speak for Mike but, the v2 can reset TAPS. It is not the same as doing a quick learn with a Tech-II. If you dont have anyone with a Tech-II, the dealer should be able to do it. Its best to do it before the truck is driven. Not sure if it will hurt anything if you have to drive it before doing the quick learn. Not sure about the TCC adapts.
The instructions with the GMax 6 states, it has been our experience that you WILL NOT be able to fudge on fast learning the 06 LBZ Allison.
The Dealer is 2 stop signs and 4 miles away maybe I should just make a very careful and easy drive to the dealer on Monday. Or should I go as far as to trailer it????

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
The instructions with the GMax 6 states, it has been our experience that you WILL NOT be able to fudge on fast learning the 06 LBZ Allison.
The Dealer is 2 stop signs and 4 miles away maybe I should just make a very careful and easy drive to the dealer on Monday. Or should I go as far as to trailer it????

There is no need to trailer it but I wouldn't hot rod around.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I think yet another call to Mike L or Andy @ Suncoast is in order unless of course one of them chimes in here first.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Why thanks :D You can reset Taps with the V2 but you will need the Tech 2 for the fast learn which I would definitely do.
Well you have been endorsed by Mike :D
So I am learning here resetting Taps and putting into fast learn are two different things I did not know that. How about the torque converter clutch adapts? or dose that require a TCM tune?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I remember years ago, I heard that the 2001 trucks learned very fast. Is this still the case? I know when I replaced the trans in my lb7 it learned very quickly. I didn't do a fast learn.

My LLY wouldn't shift worth a damn until I did the fast learn.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
The 01 are dumber. In my experience they shift very nice even when switching from small tunes to big ones. No option for a fast learn with the 01's