Building trans, which converter?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Do you have a tune that's not so aggressive with the boost table? 20psi at light throttle might surge the turbo regardless of the converter. Maybe Mark did TOO good on that new turbo :angel:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Solid yes but annoying when your accelerating normal and at 25psi boost and the charger goes "choo choo choo "when it locks. And in order to prevent that I have to feather the throttle near 50mph. Overall it's just not for me :thumb:

Raise your shift points and it wont snuff the charger on lock up. My 58 doesnt lock until 63 mph, and i cant get it to put my 75/87 out. Heck, most of time it almost chirps the tires. Love my 1058!

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
DmaxChris, wouldnt that be like putting a bandaid on a broken leg? I have raised the part throttle shifts by 6% using the speedo calculator and that does bring lockup up in speed just a hair but correct me if im wrong here, Id rather the converter lockup sooner esp sooner than 63mph as i dont see that speed around here much lol. Purehybrid, Mark runs a 1056 if i am not mistaken and he was baffled by what i was explaining.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
DmaxChris, wouldnt that be like putting a bandaid on a broken leg? I have raised the part throttle shifts by 6% using the speedo calculator and that does bring lockup up in speed just a hair but correct me if im wrong here, Id rather the converter lockup sooner esp sooner than 63mph as i dont see that speed around here much lol. Purehybrid, Mark runs a 1056 if i am not mistaken and he was baffled by what i was explaining.

It made my truck way nicer to drive. When lockup was at factory speed, it would snuff the charger because rpms would drop below 2k. All of my shift points are at least 5-7 mph higher than factory to keep it above 2k. Mine wont go into 6th until 74mph. With a bigger charger you need more rpm. I even had raised shift points back when i had a 4094vvt and a 1054.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I just rode 12hrs in captphils truck thursday and honestly I like the 1058. I Have rode in trucks with a precision ML converter that were more aggressive then phils 1058.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Spoolup and response has nothing to do with where your truck should shift and lock the tcc. When the tcc locks, the larger comp wheel of the 68 slows down enough to surge. If you increase the speed by even 5 mph, it will change how & where it locks. 50mph is way to low for a 68mm imho.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I agree my point is that the spool up and response is not laggy whatsoever as some big chargers are which need extended rpm range etc to keep it happy. I may try to bump the speeds up more but I've always thought of an unlocked converter as being non efficient . Nonetheless I'll bump it up and try it but I'd still be in the market for a 1056 or goerend .

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I agree my point is that the spool up and response is not laggy whatsoever as some big chargers are which need extended rpm range etc to keep it happy. I may try to bump the speeds up more but I've always thought of an unlocked converter as being non efficient . Nonetheless I'll bump it up and try it but I'd still be in the market for a 1056 or goerend .

I think you'd be happier with a 1057 over a 1056. I also wouldn't be surprised if you find you have the problem even with a new converter. When the converter locks the RPM's are going to drop no matter what converter it is.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Evan , yea I know that's going to happen however I don't think they will drop to the point of snuffing the charger like it does. I've talked to mark about it and the lmm there running the same setup with a 1056 doesn't do it. Dmaxchris I have the part throttle shifts raised by 6% as of right now what would your suggestion be? 33in tires. Lockup in 5th is at 50 (I may have unchecked the box for lockup when I did the 6% increase I'll have to look when I get home.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
It made my truck way nicer to drive. When lockup was at factory speed, it would snuff the charger because rpms would drop below 2k. All of my shift points are at least 5-7 mph higher than factory to keep it above 2k. Mine wont go into 6th until 74mph. With a bigger charger you need more rpm. I even had raised shift points back when i had a 4094vvt and a 1054.

Rob had to turn mine up a few hundred as well to keep the bark to a minimum, I was running a precision ml with a tad looser stall, i liked it. I can't wait to try out the ml-r...

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Hopefully I will be up and running today. I'll have to reset TAPPS and go through the relearn process but as soon as that is done I will let you know how I like this Goerend R with this turbo.
Of course I am running the stage 2 3794 and stock TCM tune but should give you some more food for thought.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
sweet

Hopefully I will be up and running today. I'll have to reset TAPPS and go through the relearn process but as soon as that is done I will let you know how I like this Goerend R with this turbo.
lookin' forward to it!!

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I daily mine with a 1058 and a s475. I bought some of korys trans tunes to help keep the turbo lit. With the tuned TCM it would downshift when the convertor locked under light acceleration. So I run the stock trans tunes on the street and have another TCM with korys tunes for the track. I love the 1058 but the harsh lock up sucks when daily driving like said above.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
My buddy we just did the 3794 and s475 over it has a 1057 man that thing is tight! I like it but i dont know enough about the stator in those to feel comfortable trading him out, i read one thing and someone else says another :confused:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yea a 1057 couples really well, and with the spoolup of that new turbo I'd say it'll work fine.

Maybe try to make it lock somewhere in 4th, and bump up the 4-5 shift even more.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
The reason I picked the R converter is even though it has a 2,200 approximate stall speed Dave Goerend assured me that it has a very positive couple and holds great when it dose so it reacts as if it has a much lower stall when it locks.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I daily mine with a 1058 and a s475. I bought some of korys trans tunes to help keep the turbo lit. With the tuned TCM it would downshift when the convertor locked under light acceleration. So I run the stock trans tunes on the street and have another TCM with korys tunes for the track. I love the 1058 but the harsh lock up sucks when daily driving like said above.

My 1058 in my lbz locked up harsh in 4th, but I loved that, the women on the other hand were not as amused.