Build Advice. Seriously lol

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
It has been beat to death, But the information does help. I have all that good stuff (tranny, tunes, pump) and its not enough. Now i'm looking at rods, studs, etc... for some future twins

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
No built engine and NO arp head studs is like cheap insurance kinda with stock rods...Most likely you will pop a gasket in a perfect world before bending a rod there for me sayn don't want head studs on a stock short block. Actually the head bolts will last longer than a stock rod FWIW
I personally went with rods and head studs for my piece of mind.i like the studs because the arps are reuseable IF need be,And i think worse case so breaking a rod and windowing a block ............rods are cheap insurance,yes expensive but shouldnt ever need to be replaced.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
600 hp is easy....turbo, trans, lift pump, and tune.

Replace what needs to be replaced when it dies...

Do you even know what 500hp feels like? Start there.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
So an LB7 is capable of 600hp with stock injectors? I just replaced all 8 in February, that would be a money saver not having to mess with those again haha

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I already have lift pump, tuning, and etc. just not the transmission.

I have had a built trans now for about a year, and just now got a hot efi tune, I don't even have a lift pump yet:rofl: and I am completly happy with the power of my truck. Honestly I would spend the money and get the trans done and pick what turbo you want. Man I remember when the magic, "have to" number was 500hp. Damn now its like 6, 7, even 800 now I guess. I just want my shit to live.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
An LB7 can do 600 rwhp on stock injector but if you want to do it on a stock motor and have it last I would recommend bigger injectors so that you can run more conservative PW and timing, while still getting all the fuel you need for 600 rwhp.

There are so many ways to get to 600 rwhp it's ridiculous: nitrous, twins, slightly larger single, BatMo in a stock charger, etc.

Our LLY that did 604 rwhp on a completely stock LLY charger on fuel only was with a modded pump, big injectors (100%), manifolds, up-pipes, downpipe, 3" boost tubes, and 3" Y-bridge. He beats Matt's S366, modded pump, bigger injector truck that is tuned by Georgia Diesel at pretty much every pull yet can still pull stock class... I think on an LB7 you wouldn't be able to hit quite 600 rwhp on a stock charger (close but I just don't think it would do it on fuel on an accurate dyno), but I think with a drop in BatMo wheel it could be done easily.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
build the transmission, get an aftermarket turbo (almost all aftermarket turbos people put on these trucks are capable for 600rwhp) and turn the wick up. all i have is a built trans, lift pump, and an s472. i told rob i wanted 600rwhp on my highest tune. im gonna dyno it at the beggining of november so we'll see how close to 600 i am

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
An LB7 can do 600 rwhp on stock injector but if you want to do it on a stock motor and have it last I would recommend bigger injectors so that you can run more conservative PW and timing, while still getting all the fuel you need for 600 rwhp.

There are so many ways to get to 600 rwhp it's ridiculous: nitrous, twins, slightly larger single, BatMo in a stock charger, etc.

Our LLY that did 604 rwhp on a completely stock LLY charger on fuel only was with a modded pump, big injectors (100%), manifolds, up-pipes, downpipe, 3" boost tubes, and 3" Y-bridge. He beats Matt's S366, modded pump, bigger injector truck that is tuned by Georgia Diesel at pretty much every pull yet can still pull stock class... I think on an LB7 you wouldn't be able to hit quite 600 rwhp on a stock charger (close but I just don't think it would do it on fuel on an accurate dyno), but I think with a drop in BatMo wheel it could be done easily.

Thanks for the advice dude. Can I ask was that truck a white crew cab? I think I met him in Hickory and Peachland a couple of times.

Anyway, with a single setup like let's say Trent's s366, 45% injectors, transmission (of course) and some good tuning, we looking good for a 600hp truck? Of course the actual 600hp tune will be in my 5th position, I want low hp tunes for Daily Driving of course.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Thanks for the advice dude. Can I ask was that truck a white crew cab? I think I met him in Hickory and Peachland a couple of times.

Anyway, with a single setup like let's say Trent's s366, 45% injectors, transmission (of course) and some good tuning, we looking good for a 600hp truck? Of course the actual 600hp tune will be in my 5th position, I want low hp tunes for Daily Driving of course.

you'd be set for over 650

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
going up to the oil fields huh lol, thats where im at (not driving though) for 600hp and peice of mind i would just do the bottom end, rods etc. then when you think well 600hp was fun so 700 should be better you will be prepared lol
go with the 366 you could twin it with something bigger in the future and grow with it. build the trans up good, and some 60 over nozzles. thats exactly what im going to do with mine and it should make for a good streetable combo

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Im goin to batmo my stock charger and put 40 over nozzles/modded reg on and give tuning a whirl and hopefully get closer to 600 on STOCK motor and turbo.

Most people dont realize the potential of a stock duramax with just lift pump and a trans to hold it!

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com

Yes, Jeremiah with a white crew cab LLY with my website across the windshield and "Mind if I Smoke" on the back glass.

The stock CP3 would be your limiting factor on that setup, how good of shape it is in would determine how much a good tuner would be able to get out of the truck over all.

Im goin to batmo my stock charger and put 40 over nozzles/modded reg on and give tuning a whirl and hopefully get closer to 600 on STOCK motor and turbo.

Most people dont realize the potential of a stock duramax with just lift pump and a trans to hold it!

I agree, I have a ton of guys call that have a bone stock truck with a programmer and think they want a turbo or twins, dual CP3s, etc. and I talk them into taking it a step at a time. After the built trans and lift pump with some 520+ rwhp tuning they are usually more than satisfied and I don't hear from them again.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
#'s in my sig with stock injectors, cp3, no head studs, trans and lift pump.

i would just twin over stocker to keep the driveability of the truck and limit the lag. PLus, the s475 over stocker kits can support 750-800 with dual fuelers and built motor if you really wanted to get nuts with it.

I've seen you on DF and I would take the others' advice for sure and get a maxeffort tune with a built trans first and let us know what you think. its a totally different animal.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Spending money before you have it, nice.. The American way. This topic has been beat to death. Ask James if you will pop a head gasket before you bend a rod. He bent his rods with twins. I say build your trans first and go from there. Its fun to say " yeah I'm going to get this turbo and these injectors and blah blah blah." What are you running now? You may be perfectly happy with a built trans and good tuning.

lol :D

#'s in my sig with stock injectors, cp3, no head studs, trans and lift pump.

i would just twin over stocker to keep the driveability of the truck and limit the lag. PLus, the s475 over stocker kits can support 750-800 with dual fuelers and built motor if you really wanted to get nuts with it.

I've seen you on DF and I would take the others' advice for sure and get a maxeffort tune with a built trans first and let us know what you think. its a totally different animal.

x2 and make sure everything is working at its best. You would be surprised how much hp you can loose by a cp3 thats a bit weak or or something returning too much fuel