Budget build opinions

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
Alright guys I'm doing a budget build, I am going to put Lbz rods, and delip lb7 pistons. Going to key the crank and cam, and do arp main studs. What do you think is a fair price for machine work and labor? I've got the rods, pistons, crank, and block. Just need it put together and balanced. I know this isn't the best option out there but I don't have the cash to put Carrillo rods in, and they sure as hell are better than my LLY rods I have in it now. It's 650 hp to the wheels, it's a weekend toy/ sled puller. Trucks got a 63.5 billet cheetah so it won't make more than 700hp. I just want it to be more reliable think this is a good way to go?

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
I can get rods for 2300 and I can get all my gaskets and bearings for 1200 bucks

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I get why everyone says save up for the Carillos, but that is a big cost increase.

I am about to do a very similar build to the OP, and it would more than double the cost. It is the difference between driving it this summer, or the summer after with rods. I wish I was one of the people who put away $1k in savings a month, but I am still paying down school, car, and home loans. I'd rather have the truck half-assed (~650 HP) but running, than continuing to sit in the hangar looking sad for another year or more to get an extra ~100 HP.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
X2 I am going to take the chance and run all lml parts in my burban It will have delipped and cut down down a little for lower compresson and running 80 overs bc that's what I have and running a 64mm ihi see how it goes. Cheap budget build.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I wish I would have gone with Carillo's right off but I was tired of trying to save up the cash. Hind sight is 20/20 right.

If you're getting it balanced go with a billet flex plate and better damper. At least make it good to 650. I've replaced broken flex plates on 500 hp trucks.

My machine work was like $500 for the exact same thing you're doing. But as stated it will vary greatly by location.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
X2 I am going to take the chance and run all lml parts in my burban It will have delipped and cut down down a little for lower compresson and running 80 overs bc that's what I have and running a 64mm ihi see how it goes. Cheap budget build.

I wish I would have gone with Carillo's right off but I was tired of trying to save up the cash. Hind sight is 20/20 right.

If you're getting it balanced go with a billet flex plate and better damper. At least make it good to 650. I've replaced broken flex plates on 500 hp trucks.

My machine work was like $500 for the exact same thing you're doing. But as stated it will vary greatly by location.

Being that your going to use a mix of parts the motor must be balanced.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mine. Wish I would've waited and saved up for crowers, but couldnt.

Last edited: