LBZ: Broke my crank

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
My ? is .... :thinking2:

How many of these failures have had a balancer shear the pin in the past and spun the balancer on the crank ?

I have a crank here LB7 .... that is broke at 2nd journal and it sheared the pin and spun the balancer . Its from the block I am using now .

Very common for a dmax to break the crank in this situation with a spun balancer .

I spun a balancer on my new motor shortly after the build .... dealer left the crank bolt loose after doing a water pump . That was the ultimate SUCKY DEAL ! .... fresh motor all balanced and you shear a crank pin due to neglagence from another . Sheared it on the throttle in 4th gear ..... shook like a son of a bitch . So much for a socalled balanced motor . :D

Always in the back of my mind ... fatigue from this in the past .

BHOWARD .... so sorry to hear your luck brother . Hadnt heard you broke the truck . So how is the new motor coming along ?

The Pin to balancer relationship was good, pin was straight.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
Hate to bring up a old thread, but I have been searching forever on answers from other people with this issue. I broke my lbz crank a few months ago I still yet to pull the motor to see the damage but mine broke just cruising at about 40 mph on very conservative tuning too. I'll be posting pictures soon when I pull the engine. The thing that worries me is that it happens for to rhyme or reason so what's to say with another crank the same thing won't happen again( because that's the luck I would have)

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
It's the SoCal Diesel stage 2 motor I bought from cuminstrkmydmax in Jan.

It has the #6480 (hot street/tow) cam, crower rods, cut & coated pistons, Billet mains, Chrome-moly pushrods, stage 2 heads with titanium retainers,
70% injectors, PPE duel fuelers, and a 4094 va with a s475.
MA solid motor mounts and over-flow tank (degas tank).

Attachments

• DSCN2615.jpg
    DSCN2615.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 98

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So I'm pulling my 5th wheeler, 55mph all gauges normal. Drive press is 1 to 1, oil temp is 210*, oil press is good. EGT's are 1000*, boost is around 10~15psi. OAT is about 60*.

Then I hear a very bad sound, the sound of a rod knock, of in the distance, then getting louder. So I turn the cruise of when I heard it, looking for a place to pull over. Roll into the throttle and BAM, the truck shakes but still running to get pulled over. Get towed back home.

Can you see it.

Basically the same symptoms as I had except for the boost and egt were lower. $10 says mine will look the same when I open it up.:(

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana

Sweet!

Side note- just tore my motor apart last night out of my dually and the #2 main has 2 distinct gouges in the bearing face and the bearing itself has some chipping of the bearing face material. Looks like the gouges are from burring on the outer edges o the oiling passages. My motor has crowers and SoCal cut and coated .020's. Has aprrox. 6-7k on motor. And I pulled it because #1 rear housing adapter had a bolt stripped out in the upper oil pan and oil leak around the adapter itself and #2 I was wanting to do cam, heads, main studs....etc. anyways so I went on ahead and pulled it. Wanted to check the #2 main bearing for signs of wear and I believe I may have saved myself a crank failure. Gonna have the crank mag checked for cracks to see if I can spot an early failure area. I'll post my findings when I get the crank mag'd.

Kingcobra

Dec 7, 2012
Broken crank

2007.5 LMM 210,000km... Broken Crank. Was pulling my trailer at speed limit when truck died. The guy that opened it up tells me it has stress cracks that look like it's been ready to go for awhile. He also tells me that 7 out of the 10 Duramax's he gets for rebuild are due to a broken crank, some tuned some totally stock. Apparently there is a casting issue that GM won't admit to.... There goes 70 grand down the drain. Thanks GM, Im a 7.3 Powerstroke man now!

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I've worked at a GM dealer for about 8 years now. Our diesel techs and shop foreman have never seen a broken crank. We work on alot of them too, including medium duty trucks. They thought I was crazy when I asked them after I bought my truck lol. They had never heard anything like it.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
2007.5 LMM 210,000km... Broken Crank. Was pulling my trailer at speed limit when truck died. The guy that opened it up tells me it has stress cracks that look like it's been ready to go for awhile. He also tells me that 7 out of the 10 Duramax's he gets for rebuild are due to a broken crank, some tuned some totally stock. Apparently there is a casting issue that GM won't admit to.... There goes 70 grand down the drain. Thanks GM, Im a 7.3 Powerstroke man now!

Maybe he's the only guy there that works on them. There is not that high of a breakage rate on DMax cranks. I would imagine that percentage wise other brands have similar problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The witness marks I have arrows on have my attention.

Attachments

• DSCN2136.jpg
    DSCN2136.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN2133.jpg
    DSCN2133.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 109

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Before everyone broke a crank;
How many burnouts/high revs to complete stops were made?
Who revs their engine up and down and let's off quickly?
How did you drive your truck before? Cool or like a race truck? I feel revving the engine at high rpm and then letting off abruptly definitely places a factor. These cranks seem to not like abrupt high rpm to a sudden idle. I feel stock or race, the cranks are beaten up with incorrect driving. I'm sure most will beat on the engine and not drive it smoothly; the whole time. So if that's the case, may as well buy a billet crank. I've also been told by top engine builders that billet mains have a problem with oiling.
But what do I know; just my 2 cents; out of tens of thousands.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Before everyone broke a crank;
How many burnouts/high revs to complete stops were made?
Who revs their engine up and down and let's off quickly?
How did you drive your truck before? Cool or like a race truck? I feel revving the engine at high rpm and then letting off abruptly definitely places a factor. These cranks seem to not like abrupt high rpm to a sudden idle. I feel stock or race, the cranks are beaten up with incorrect driving. I'm sure most will beat on the engine and not drive it smoothly; the whole time. So if that's the case, may as well buy a billet crank. I've also been told by top engine builders that billet mains have a problem with oiling.
But what do I know; just my 2 cents; out of tens of thousands.

Why do you "feel" revving the engine has anything to do with it? I'm not sure why letting off and returning to idle would play a art in anything particular.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Why do you "feel" revving the engine has anything to do with it? I'm not sure why letting off and returning to idle would play a art in anything particular.

Revving it up and down like an idiot
Real racers dont rev up and down "abruptly"
it's best to bring the engine up to a speed and and ease off slowly
i see many guys revving thier engines like they own a street bike

doing burnouts at 4k then letting off only to let the engine stop doesnt help