Bonneville Engine:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
#1 and #6 failed, but all were hurt:
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7906&highlight=bonneville

Turbo was a GT42 Magnum from PPE with a 1.15 A/R turbine housing.
A 4" side exhaust was ran.
Cyl's #1 and #6 bent their pushrods.
Valves on #1 and #6 were bent.
Engine had SoCal Diesel ported heads and hardware.
Pistons were OEM LLY's that were de-lipped and coated.

The pistons never cracked did they? They just seized up and the rods tore them apart right?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The pistons never cracked did they? They just seized up and the rods tore them apart right?
One piston that was severely damaged had a small crack starting on one side of the "lip". It never cracked through to the oil passage, but the piston was hosed already anyhow.

Yes, they seized and the rods tore them in half. The rods were intact, and all but the 2 cylinders with the "two piece" pistons are still good.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
do you data log ?

Sometimes. At Bonneville I already had too much going on to worry about hooking up a computer. I know the coolant never got "hot", maybe 225, if that.

There were no indications or CEL's when the engine retired. It just lost power, I popped it in neutral, and it died. Fuel vapor was billowing out of the hood and the exhaust had turned white for a few seconds before it quit. Back in the pits, it would crank, but not start.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
By going with a "Stroker", Does that not move the pin up into the piston further, and also have a shorter skirt length? I would think that would make things worse! Im only going off of the gas engines that I build though. We had this problem with a twin turbo stroker motor. We de stroked the engine and gained piston skirt and got the piston support back that was needed. We could go an avarage of eight more races between build's with the new setup as well. but it was a Gas drag engine and not a LS Diesel Engine.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I don't think the pistons pull apart because they are weak, I think they are seizing.
Drag racing at 4500rpm or sled pulling isn't pulling them apart. It's sustained heat. I believe Banks saw this same thing when they first started playing with their endurance racing truck engine.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
when is it necessary for 5" exhaust ??? i know a lot of you guys are pushing the 4" exhausts way up there in hp.... but if 4" is good to the 900whp or so that your running why do all these guys making 400whp bother to switch from the stock 3.5" other than eliminating the stock muffler.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
when is it necessary for 5" exhaust ??? i know a lot of you guys are pushing the 4" exhausts way up there in hp.... but if 4" is good to the 900whp or so that your running why do all these guys making 400whp bother to switch from the stock 3.5" other than eliminating the stock muffler.

Good question. Looks I guess. My truck had the 3.5 inch exhaust (straight piped) on it for years. Made over 600 hp on it.

Tacojedbob7

<====Ron Jeremy
Nov 25, 2007
i dont think the diameter of the exhuast has to do with horsepower as much as egts

x2..that and desired exhaust tone.

Or in female terms...will an oven dissipate heat more efficiently with a restrictive exhaust or a huge hole out the back?

In my opinion EGT's are the most critical issue in the longevity of pistons, experienced second hand. (dynoing at a shop with a restrictive exhaust system = loose)

Last edited:

Killerbee

Got Honey?
The oil flow rate could be suffering at your rpms. From 2 years ago, I seem to recall that it stopped increasing around 3000 rpm. so above this rpm, you are getting less oil qty on each stroke.

I still have that flow meter, it may be worth another look.

Other big diesels have higher oil flow rates than we do...FWIW.

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
Could the oil flow to the piston cooling oil jets be increased in any way? Could a dedicated pump be used to squirt highly cooled oil on the pistons? Suck from a common sump, cool the oil with an Ice/water cooler and have a seperate oil circuit for this task...