Best battery to run as a single

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
total power batteries. simon told me about them and i tried them out. they are no joke.. best on the market in my opinion.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Its Crazy to hear all the hatred towards optima. I had two in my LBZ for two years running Two amps one for door speakers and one for the two subs. Could leave the radio playing for hours and it would always start up first crank. same thing in my s10 blazer three years on a optima now and still running

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I've got red tops, had them for about a year and a half. If my truck sits all weekend without cranking Monday morning its a little slugish. Cranks fine now but I can tell there starting to go down.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lmao, I just realized how old this thead was. My optima crapped out too. I'm runnin a duralast single in it now. Two years old and still kickin

funny i said that, batt died last week. still under warrenty but i upgraded to their "like optima" style battery for 50 bucks since they didnt carry the dual posts anymore. truck starts faster than it ever has on 1 batt. see how long it lasts in there :D

as for optimas, this was 3 years ago but we had two pallets of bad optimas out of cop cars we sent off to the recyclers. Napa lead acids out lasted those red tops by twice as long and were much quicker to get. the original optimas i had in my truck when my dad changed to them in late 02 lasted me 8 years. Somewhere along the lines i was told optima switched to cheaper materials and production plants which led to the drop in longevity. sucks cause they were bad ass back then.

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
I used to sell optima's, about 60-70% came back on warranty within 2 years. IMO, unless your using it in a dune buggy or something they are a complete waste of money.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Instead of starting a new thread I'll bring this one back up.

I've got duralast golds I purchased January 2011 if I remember right. I believe the driver side one is on its way out due to the cap being wet so I'm assuming its leaking; I need to double check and test it.

With that said I would like to only use one battery but need it to be reliable. I'll go a week or more easily without driving my pickup so I really don't want to have to jump it all the time.

I've read great things about odessy batteries and have one for my rock crawler but man they're expensive. With that said it looks like interstate and diehard are good alternatives that don't cost a fortune and preform.

Anybody else out there have good or bad experience with batteries?
Recommendations?

Thanks,
Yellowchevy

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
My luck with batteries so-so. I finished a Radiation oncology facility two years ago (Commercial Superintendent), lots of steel, concrete and 180,000lbs of 99.9% pure lead, little if any trace amounts of alloy in this stuff used for shielding. Obviously some was left over and found a battery place in town purchasing lead. What the guy behind the counter told me was the manufacturers have been using not so pure lead and using less in weight per battery. He also made a comment about Optima, not good.

Batteries 25 years ago weighed more than today and I usually got four years of service from a Die Hard, all batteries have handle on them so you can bring them back and pay more money. What I hear now where I live is its the heat, lucky to get two to three years, (see first paragraph) makes me want to reach out and choke someone. When I purchased my truck I knew the batteries would need replacing, Odyssey was an option, too much. Looked a little further and found Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. $100 cheaper built by I believe Northstar, sold by Sears with a four year warranty and Batteries Plus with a five year warranty. So I purchased two from Batteries Plus and time will tell (Odyssey is an AGM battery)

AGM batteries are my choice as I have no risk in leaking and ruining the cables, cannot comment on running just one, need to replace the batteries in pairs, the old one will eventually kill the new one.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
FWIW, my battery supplier (Interstate) gave me this advice on choosing a battery. If you live in a very cold climate like Alaska, choose a battery with very high CCA ratings, as they have more lead and less acid/water. But if you live in a very hot climate, choose a battery with lower CCA ratings, as they have less lead and more acid/water, and that will help the battery run cooler and live longer.

I'm certainly no battery expert, just repeating info.

I've been selling and installing Interstates for 3 1/2 years now, and have not had any warranty claims yet.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I ran the original delco twins to 90k/6yrs miles in arizona, often running just one for racing. When they started losing the ability to charge and hold charge i got new delco's. still run them at 120k and often use the single for racing.

Sent from my iPhone.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I put a set of Interstate Mega-Tron II batteries in my truck in March 2010. It has never failed to start from sitting, but I have killed it a few times recently by running the radio or air compressor with just the key on. I can tell they're close to going out because I used to be able to listen to the radio for several hours without draining the batteries. Now I can't go much more than a couple of hours with the radio going, if that, before it won't crank. They have a 24 month full replacement and a 5 year prorated warranty. I'll do a load test on them and see about getting them warrantied soon.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
My factory acd's crapped out and leaked everywhere at 40k. Bought 2 red tops and after having both of them warrantied twice they crapped out at 90k. Bought interstate mega+ and I hope they live up to the hype.

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
get a battery built for marine use they seem to hold a charge way better i use them in my race cars cause they sitt all winter and most of the time they fire right up sometimes the need a little jump but winter is 6+ months long in pa

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
you can run one battery as long it has 1,000 continuous and 800 cold cranking amps. interstate has a new one its 270.00 maintenance free mount it upside down or any way you want. model MT7 AGM