Best battery to run as a single

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
My Optima red tops are going strong with no issues for 9 years so far and don't seem to be slowing down any time soon. :woott:

FWIW the older Optima red tops are better, if you bought one in the last 5 years they are crap.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My Optima red tops are going strong with no issues for 9 years so far and don't seem to be slowing down any time soon. :woott:

FWIW the older Optima red tops are better, if you bought one in the last 5 years they are crap.
^^ Exactly this.

My brother had a set of Optima Red Tops for 15+ years. One of the first they came out with. Probably still going strong, but he sold the truck they were in.

I went through 4 sets in 3 years on my Duramax. Got pissed off, bought the cheapest batteries at O'Reilly Auto, and they are still rocking 4 years later. If they crap out now, I will gladly cough up the green for another dirt cheap 4 years. If they don't, then sweet!

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
^^ Exactly this.

My brother had a set of Optima Red Tops for 15+ years. One of the first they came out with. Probably still going strong, but he sold the truck they were in.

I went through 4 sets in 3 years on my Duramax. Got pissed off, bought the cheapest batteries at O'Reilly Auto, and they are still rocking 4 years later. If they crap out now, I will gladly cough up the green for another dirt cheap 4 years. If they don't, then sweet!

My Delcos went forever it seemed. Def way past 100k miles. They finally went out on me about 3 years ago while on an antelope hunt. Walked to Orileys in Trinidad Colorado and got their "super start" brand....still in the truck now and working well. I'm a brand snob about a lot of things. Those cheap batteries have reminded me that sometimes you really are just paying for a label and perhaps not a truly superior product

swinters

Journeyman Mechanic
Oct 3, 2011
Western WA State
I've been buying my batteries from Costco for years and have never had one fail. Don't know who makes them or anything else about them but that would be interesting to know. The pair in my old Army pickup have been in there for at least 8 years and I work that truck pretty hard, though now that I've said that they'll probably take a dump...

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I've been buying my batteries from Costco for years and have never had one fail. Don't know who makes them or anything else about them but that would be interesting to know. The pair in my old Army pickup have been in there for at least 8 years and I work that truck pretty hard, though now that I've said that they'll probably take a dump...

Its funny you say that because I have a Costco battery that I use for a bunch of different things and it just won't die. It sits a lot also and always works

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

This.

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
I am finding out that the starter is working to hard with just one battery when using 2 it just spins it faster....still doing test with the one battery thing.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
I am finding out that the starter is working to hard with just one battery when using 2 it just spins it faster....still doing test with the one battery thing.

there are companies that have battery's where there cca are 1500 or higher. the oddesy i am using has 1500cca for the first 8-9 seconds. doesn't quite equal 2 stock/factory batterys, but sure sounds the same in my truck

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
there are companies that have battery's where there cca are 1500 or higher. the oddesy i am using has 1500cca for the first 8-9 seconds. doesn't quite equal 2 stock/factory batterys, but sure sounds the same in my truck

What's the p/n Moss ? It still fits in the stock tray ?