Belts

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I do ??? The one i took off is exactly thw same as the one i put on and that one was original from late 01

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
this should look like what you have. only yours has ribs for the belt. the one in the pic doesnt. the one you need has "shoulders". the one you have doesnt. if you can, could you put a pic up of your tensioner, or email me it?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Besides the fact i see three different ones in that pic lol, the upper right one looks like the one i have.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Here is a pic or two

3eja8u7a.jpg

gazydy2a.jpg

Pry bar is from me changin the belt

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
that looks right. on my 02, it would do the exact same thing you speak of. the difference between the 2 has to do with the rib spacing. does it feel like the belt fits in there like the pulley on the alternator?

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Dunno if it'd work in neutral, but have someone rev it to 3k and let it go to idle, see how much movment the tensioner has.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
that looks right. on my 02, it would do the exact same thing you speak of. the difference between the 2 has to do with the rib spacing. does it feel like the belt fits in there like the pulley on the alternator?

Yup, its way down in there. The dealer gave me one originally that had a plastic wheel and hardly any siding to it and i took it back to get this one. It was old stock i was told as the new ones have been converted to the plastic wheels

Dunno if it'd work in neutral, but have someone rev it to 3k and let it go to idle, see how much movment the tensioner has.

Just tried it. It moves but not enough imop for it to jump. Just looks like normal twitching

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Maybe a bearing is going out on one of your pulleys. And its dragging under load. Causing the belt to get chewed.

Have you also checked the route of the belt? To make sure it won't rub on anything. Checked that there are no burs on any of the pulleys? Or there are no burs from the engine or accessories bracket hitting the belt?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Maybe a bearing is going out on one of your pulleys. And its dragging under load. Causing the belt to get chewed.

Have you also checked the route of the belt? To make sure it won't rub on anything. Checked that there are no burs on any of the pulleys? Or there are no burs from the engine or accessories bracket hitting the belt?

all the bearings are great far as i can tell without replacing every one of them and its only one rib i loose. No burrs, bent lips, or anything in the way to cause this

Mine did this. I replaced the tensioner and both idlers and haven't had any more problems.

yours would loose an outer rib without the belt jumping the sides?

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Yep. It started doing it only when wide open at first, then it started losing a rib just easing into it, like when passing. Then it started throwing the belt off with or without losing a rib. I replaced the tensioner pulley first and that didn't help. So I bought all 3 from the dealer and that fixed it. Once I got the old tensioner off, I could see how it was causing the misalignment, the "swingarm" was crooked, I guess the pivot was worn till it was sitting at an angle. I might not have needed the idlers, but with 200k on the truck, it seemed reasonable to change them all.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im confused, you say you replaced your tentioner first amd that didnt fix but then that new one bent or the old one was? Which you then replaced with gm stuff right?

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
I just replaced the pulley on the tensioner at first, because the old one was wobbling a little. It was cheap so I gave it a shot. It made no difference at all. Once I got the new assembly, I had to compare it to the old one side by side to see that the old one was crooked.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oooohhh i follow ya now. I really think im missing a tweaked accessory on its mount or something. Im ginna take another good look at it tomorrow, work has been hell this week so ive been in no mood to work on shit lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well yanked the belt and went over everything with a fine tooth comb again. Nothing loose. Only thing i could find was my second pump moved out of place. Kinda weird cause all the bolts were tight. I shimmed it a bit more so its back dead on again with the other pullys and threw another belt on. Lets see if that fixes it. This belt seems to tighten the tentioner up a hair more too.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
I learned that the hard way!

me too

the only way for the outside of the belt to get chewed up is for it to jump on the tensioner. its hitting the arm for some reason. on the tensioner, your with in the little marks on there?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, well within it.

Btw, i cant run the belt the way ppe shows for dual fuelers and the oil centrifuge. There is a bolt head that sticks out by my powersteering pully that would rub the hell out of the belt.