Bed Time Story.... (Team Salad)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
haha wow I remember that ...seems like a long time ago. I started lurking on DP in early 2004, a little after the LLY came out. Never bothered signing up until I actually had a dmax I guess, in the beginning of 2005. They didnt lock a bunch of stuff out to "guests" back then like they do now. Back then I think the Xtreme was ground breaking when nick first ran it against his banks and edge stack. I think the xtreme made like 440rwhp or something. And when tony was one of the first people to run it at the track, I think he did 13.7 or something? Man that was flying back then!

looking back to where a lot of the dmax stuff initiated, and how far its come. I was not around when all the stuff started, but I guess I got to see some of the stuff when the dmax world was the "toddler age"...?

when Eric (before merchant auto) did his DIY of the transgo kit.

the bastard stack ruled

hand held tuners couldnt go over 20* timing

no efilive (what!!??)

no one was blowing their motors (I think mrmagu was one of the first publically-posted eye-openers to the limits of the dmax internals)

what cracked pistons?

you had a REALLY baaad truck if you had a built tranny (whereas now its pretty common)

the aurora 5000 was annocuned..

there was no fighting/bickering on DP

everyone on DP got along and no one ever got banned (wtf??)

the DP moderators never had any fires to put out

the TTS single disc converter

when the "11 second plow truck" was out tearing up the streets in full force (where is ratlover?)

no one knew there was a difference between escalade and silverado bose stereo's

when the only option for more fuel was SD's modded regulator

When the spruill's and no limit's trucks were 'only' running 11's

the 2wd casper

when Kieth (nasty girl) first signed up on DP and GMC2500HD accused him of being a fake that didnt even own a dmax.

triple stack of doom

when the finger stick came out (!)

how awesome the 2003 interior mid-cycle enhancment was

first time I met Tony a couple years ago and he popped the hood on my truck and said "ahh so thats a lilly", and I didnt get what he was talking about. :D

when the DP only had like 5 forum sections

when they built that red c/k body style truck with the dmax and 2002 interior swap. (first dmax swap??)

when I thought nothing could touch my truck because I had an EDGE. :rofl:

and finally.....who actually came up with the "salad" thing?? Im trying to remember who first said it... :confused:

wonder where the dmax community will be in another 4 years??

ben

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I remember Pat doing the first write up on an LLY ( Big Blue ) and his insane trip back east to pick up equipment for his shop. I thought the silly fool was driving an SR-71 Blackbird. That trip had to set some kind of record.
I remember our first dyno day Feb '04. John Hamlin of DPS had never seen a programmer. I introduced him to Guy Tripp and the corruption started. Shortly after John opened up a diesel speed shop and became a diesel power broker. :rofl:
Colin Banks and Peter Tryt ( sorry spelling ) attended and brought a new Six Gun for me to raffle off ( Class Act ).
Nicks truck blew its second TTS single disc ( big hunk of shit that never worked ) and I installed a Suncoast triple. The public was never told and Steve Cole and Nick lie aout this even today. I called Joe Webb at SC and told him since he and I became close friends and he told me to not talk about it.
Oh I have some stories. :eek::D

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
First time Salad was mention was Carrot Salad by SD Saver

and I think it takes off from there. Yes, I have too much time on my hands tonight. But, was interesting reading :eek:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Don't forget when almost everyone said you couldn't hurt a diesel with nitrous :eek:

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Remember bursting???
Remember Steve working "Tuning" on a corvette???
Remember Steve wrenching at the first DP dyno day(That Mike L set-up)???
Pat at that same Dyno day with a stock :eek: truck!
Guy and his black box:Dof goodies.
A missing fuse???
Pennies....and more pennies.

Anyone seen or heard from "John Hamlin of DPS" lately? IIRC he said his wife was sick.

Who doesn't know what a VR Strap is??

BIG DIPPER

Nov 6, 2006
First time Salad was mention was Carrot Salad by SD Saver

and I think it takes off from there. Yes, I have too much time on my hands tonight. But, was interesting reading :eek:

OH YEAH!!! LOL!

The carrott part was refering to Quad. Dave used to say he was hanging carrotts because he would always say they had this or that they had been doing but wasn't ready yet.....no matter what anyone else had...they already did it.....sound familiar?

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
OH YEAH!!! LOL!

The carrott part was refering to Quad. Dave used to say he was hanging carrotts because he would always say they had this or that they had been doing but wasn't ready yet.....no matter what anyone else had...they already did it.....sound familiar?

He had even posted a recipe :rofl:

or you could make lots of
Carrot Salad

This carrot salad is easy to make and delicious. The dressing is low in fat, but still bursting with flavor.

Serving: 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

1 small can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits packed in juice
¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 package (8 ounces) already-shredded carrots
1/3 cup raisins
¼ cup already-chopped walnuts

1. Drain off ¼ cup of the juice from the pineapple into a 2-quart or larger serving bowl. Drain off any remaining juice and reserve for another use.

2. Stir in the mayonnaise to blend well, then add the drained pineapple, carrots, raisins, and walnuts.

3. Toss gently but thoroughly to coat with the dressing and serve at once or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Good reads here!

I'm a noob relativly to diesel forums but i sure remember the 1st D-max!

Everyone was saying...Its to quiet...it sucks...its Isuzu crap...Blablabla! And here we are slapin the pants off the compitition! When it comes to cool gizmos and parts, the D-max is on easy street! I remember the ATS turbo kit for IDI fords! Hell, my buddie has one!

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I have the second set in existance. :cool:

or maybe third..

Juice, Kondolay, and chad were the first ones IIRC..

yeah speaking of Bill...................who remembers the DTT allison?? :D

Ah the DTT allison, i even called for pricing on that thing before i decided to go with the suncoast :rofl: I joined in jan of 05 but had been lookin since 03 when i had my reg cab dmax so i was even later than some of this stuff, but i do remember when 13's were flying. Does the 62-62dieselpage still exist? Ive been a member of that since like the 90s, but quit getting on after i joined the dp.

Last edited:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for the stories guys. I am relatively new to the internet forums. I enjoy the stories of how things progressed.
I remember when the Quad 215 was the hot ticket for the D-Max, that put them on the map around here.

Last edited:

NCT

May 15, 2007
Georgia
Don't forget about the whole aluminum heads debacle. "Those things are junk and won't last" I had my POS Powerjoke that was the shit at 260hp, that blew head gaskets every 6 months. Not to mention that i threw 2 rods with a superchips tuner. Oh and this was an 02 model.