Bed support rails rotted.....

lb7duramax1993

Jan 24, 2013
Mooers,ny
Just bought a 06 duramax and the whole body is mint and hardly any rust on the frame but the box supports are rotted in the middle and my friend just bought a 06 too and same thing as mine.Whats the deal with this it seems to be really common my friend looked at a 07 classic dually where he bought his and the supports were almost completely gone too..Did they use different metal or something my 01 had rust on the rockers but the supports were mint..Kinda sucks being I now have to replace these..

lb7duramax1993

Jan 24, 2013
Mooers,ny
I work at a parts store and we offer universal bed rails for about 45 bucks a piece and I got quoted around 500 to put them in..Seems like it's only 05s to 07 classics having these problems..I think it's how the heat shield that bolts to them holds in all the dirt and salt.

Rwblaine82

Nov 29, 2011
Speaking of the year. My old 03 silverado 6.0 gas was mint. No rust at the support rail or anywhere. Hmm

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
my 06 is mint but my support rails are shot.. Rotted off on the drivers side on the outside of the frame completely

UPnGONe

Jul 23, 2008
The shore
My last 2 rear supports are gone also, no rust any where else either. I need to fix it soon mine is bad enough you can hear the bed bouncing of the frame when you hit bumps

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
When I was at the moonshine mans house a few weeks ago, his brother was there with his 06LBZ and he had the same issue with the rails rotting out bad. He showed me the pics that him and Tony took. His truck is real clean and not a spot of rust anywhere on or under the truck. He took it to the dealer and they replaced the bed with a used bed they sourced from somewhere (I think, Tony can correct me if Im wrong). It had to go through approvals and have a GM rep look at it but they did replace it none the less. Maybe an option for you guys

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Mine were rusted thru on my LMM. I caught it around 70,000 miles and made them replace my entire bed...

It was no easy feat though. I had to do a lil screaming. And my truck has zero rust anywhere else...

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
My rails look almost as good as new on my 04 with 105k on it. :thumb:

Colorado doesn't use salt on the roads though…just sand, correct? When I was in Denver I didn't see any older vehicles rusted like here in MI.

I think my supports are good. I wash mine a lot though and have been storing it for the past 2 winters. My dad's 06 has a lot of surface rust underneath though…especially the bed supports.

bigdog203

Mar 9, 2014
2008 2500 all bed rails are rotted!

Hey guys my rails are completely rotted Too! All 4 that i can see!!. I touched them and they crumble.
I just looked at a 2013 2500hd and I noticed the rear wheel wells it has a plastic/rubber inner fender that covers the end of the bed rails!! Also the new 2014 body style 2500hd. Wtf?
My truck is a 2008 60k miles, i wonder if its under the corrosion warranty?

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Yes it should be. My truck I had the bottoms of the doors covered under the rust warranty before it hit 100k and they were just bubbling at the seams. As long as you have a good dealer you should have no problem getting it covered.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
After looking at the bottom of my doors I've noticed some bubbling and rust. I will check my bed supports. My truck is a 2007 classic with 145k. Will I be covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk