BBQ/Smoking

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Does anyone do any smoking either competition or otherwise? I just bought an entry level pit that I am excited to start using.

picture.php

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I do it as a weekend hobby. Built my own reverse flow 80 gallon hybrid patio model out of an old air compressor tank, scrap metal, and a sheet of 1/4" plate. An older pic of mine, I've changed out the chimney pipe, and added an actual exhaust out the roof for it since.

1220141500_zps0cc6691e.jpg

thuddylikessmoke

Asphalt Cowboy
Aug 12, 2009
Fountain City, IN
I like smoking.. I love smoking brisket but use a propane smoker because it takes so long. Chicken quarters are good and pretty easy plus cheap to experiment with. Good luck!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Never used a smoker before. Being from Cali I was spoiled with being able to cook meat over red oak firewood. IMO there is nothing better than tri-tip over red oak but that's just me.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Wished I oculd find a tri-tip down here, we get sirloin tip which is the other end of the sirloin. It's a much larger cut than tri-tip, but still smokes NICELY! Chicken leg quarters is one of my staple foods. 3 hours at 220-225 and you got some GOOD eats. Briskets are difficult, but the 10-12 hours is worth it in the end.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I might as well get the brand revelry going, I have looking at Kamado style grills/smokers, what brand are you guys running or should I just spend the money on truck parts:roflmao:. I have been using a Char-Giller Akorn but its about to give up after 3 years of hard use.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
I do it as a weekend hobby. Built my own reverse flow 80 gallon hybrid patio model out of an old air compressor tank, scrap metal, and a sheet of 1/4" plate. An older pic of mine, I've changed out the chimney pipe, and added an actual exhaust out the roof for it since.

1220141500_zps0cc6691e.jpg
Thats awesome! I wanted to make my own but my tiny MIG welder wont handle it.

I might as well get the brand revelry going, I have looking at Kamado style grills/smokers, what brand are you guys running or should I just spend the money on truck parts:roflmao:. I have been using a Char-Giller Akorn but its about to give up after 3 years of hard use.

This is the one I bought. Its made from heavy gauge steel and it is fully welded. Already has a baffle between the fire box and the cooking chamber. I will have to seal the firebox and cooking chamber lids but thats pretty simple. I plan on seasoning it this week and after that its ready to go!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-coal-smoker?repChildCatid=311402

BTW I heard the Kamado smoker/grills are so awesome its like cheating! IMO you get a better value than the Big Green Egg. Then again, I dont know the differences.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I have a XL green egg. Could not be more happier with it. Can grill at 600 and turn around and do a low and slow cook.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I do not, but you can send me samples to taste test. :)

I do know a couple guys who compete, though. Their team usually does pretty well.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
I have a XL green egg. Could not be more happier with it. Can grill at 600 and turn around and do a low and slow cook.
Yeah my uncle swears by those things. They are too rich for my blood! From what I have heard they are very much worth the money though. I had a friend that knocked one over, that would suck to reimburse someone for!

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Yeah my uncle swears by those things. They are too rich for my blood! From what I have heard they are very much worth the money though. I had a friend that knocked one over, that would suck to reimburse someone for!

New they they have a lifetime warranty to original buyer. I bought mine used on craigslist. They come up cheap all the time. I think its hard yo beat cooking with actual wood.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Word. Just picked up a fatty prime tri tip from Costco that I'm gonna cook over a wood fire next weekend

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/santa_maria_style_tri_tip/

Used this recipe last time I did one & it's the real deal. Might just cook it tonight...

I'm from Santa Maria, didn't think anyone would know where that was but cooking tri-tip over wood was literally invented there. The "Santa Maria style" rub is just Suzy Q seasoning for the most part. Obviously I can't give away my secret recipe :D

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
The "Santa Maria style" rub is just Suzy Q seasoning for the most part. Obviously I can't give away my secret recipe :D

That's good to know. But I feel fancy making it myself. Plus measuring everything out & mixing it up in a bowl adds another 2 beers or so to my BBQ time :D

Bonus...turns out my wife bought a smaller on also. Cooking this baby tonight

Attachments

• 0802151637.jpg
    0802151637.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 26

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Been wanting to get a smoker for over a year. I never can decide what I want. Parts of me wants the easy set-it-and-forget-it electric smoker. I'd most likely use that the most. The alternative would be a charcoal smoker that I could also grill on. Almost pulled the trigger on an el cheapo today at Walmart just to see if I'd enjoy smoking.

I few guys that follow me on Instagram know I enjoy cooking, especially grilling, so I think I'll enjoy smoking too but honestly can't see ever spending 10+ hrs babysitting a smoker. Just too much else to do to spend that much time "cooking" and drinking.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Been wanting to get a smoker for over a year. I never can decide what I want. Parts of me wants the easy set-it-and-forget-it electric smoker. I'd most likely use that the most. The alternative would be a charcoal smoker that I could also grill on. Almost pulled the trigger on an el cheapo today at Walmart just to see if I'd enjoy smoking.

I few guys that follow me on Instagram know I enjoy cooking, especially grilling, so I think I'll enjoy smoking too but honestly can't see ever spending 10+ hrs babysitting a smoker. Just too much else to do to spend that much time "cooking" and drinking. ��

Ehh, I still grill on my $100 Weber..... best grill I have ever owned. If your charcoal smoker is made right they are pretty much set it and forget it when you get them dialed in. The cheap vertical smokers require a lot of baby sitting though.