BBQ/Smoking

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Ehh, I still grill on my $100 Weber..... best grill I have ever owned. If your charcoal smoker is made right they are pretty much set it and forget it when you get them dialed in. The cheap vertical smokers require a lot of baby sitting though.

Free weber here, was a house warming gift. I've done a pork but and leg quarters, I mostly just grill but been wanting to get a smoker. Not really sure what the best one for me would be.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Free weber here, was a house warming gift. I've done a pork but and leg quarters, I mostly just grill but been wanting to get a smoker. Not really sure what the best one for me would be.

Lol well you can buy them from $40 all the way up well passed $10k. My last one was an $80 Brinkman, it took 100% baby sitting but I turned out some good meet on it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I cooked ALOT of good BBQ on a cheap brinkman vertical smoker from Wal Mart. I stepped up to my 80 gallon because I wanted to be able to do a whole rack of ribs without cutting them up, or a whole ham and turkey for the holidays. If you like good BBQ without so much babysitting, then look at a nice insulated pellet smoker. Put the meat in, fill it with pellets, set it up, and come back when its done for the most part. Personally I like the challenge. That and being disabled it sure beats sitting around thinking about how much I hurt, I can sit outside in my chair under my fans and feed it wood every so often. Keeps me somewhat sane.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
My weber takes little babysitting. It's not wood though. I was thinking just a bigger grill with a smoker box would be fine for me, but I could just get a smoker, I would drop a few hundred on a good one. I don't want one so easy my wife could do it:rofl:. Depends if your smoking for fun or just because you like smoked meat, I like both so tending to it now and then is fine I just don't wanna stand there and make sure it's not gonna get away from me the whole time

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
My weber takes little babysitting. It's not wood though. I was thinking just a bigger grill with a smoker box would be fine for me, but I could just get a smoker, I would drop a few hundred on a good one. I don't want one so easy my wife could do it:rofl:. Depends if your smoking for fun or just because you like smoked meat, I like both so tending to it now and then is fine I just don't wanna stand there and make sure it's not gonna get away from me the whole time

The Char-broil Oklahoma Joe's smokers are decent but the require some modifications found on Youtube. Tending to the smoker is no big deal if you couple it with working on your truck!

king44481

Apr 29, 2015
My dad and I used to do competition and for party's fun. I grew up around kansas city (THE barbecue kingdom... IMO)

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
My buddy just got a char broil with a smoker box attachment and it was a joke. There was like a 1\4 inch gap between the smoker box and the lid that's supposed to seal it. He couldn't control it so he just took the smoke box off and uses the grill to smoke now. I'll look into the one you mentioned though I just don't want something that's gonna rust out in 2 years

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
I bought a Weber vertical smoker a couple years ago, I use it once and a while, makes some damn good pork ribs, but it a lot of babysitting. Thinking of building my own, anybody have any DIY smoker pics?

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
My buddy just got a char broil with a smoker box attachment and it was a joke. There was like a 1\4 inch gap between the smoker box and the lid that's supposed to seal it. He couldn't control it so he just took the smoke box off and uses the grill to smoke now. I'll look into the one you mentioned though I just don't want something that's gonna rust out in 2 years

The Charbroil Oklahoma Joes smoker is made from thick gauge steel. You will have to seal between the firebox and the cooking chamber and also around the smokestack. A lot of people use copper RTV but you could even weld it.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
The Charbroil Oklahoma Joes smoker is made from thick gauge steel. You will have to seal between the firebox and the cooking chamber and also around the smokestack. A lot of people use copper RTV but you could even weld it.
I am a welder:D
I'll look into it

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Seasoning the new pit! This thing holds temp like a boss!
picture.php