EFILive Battle of the Bands...TUNA WARS!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Really?
Well that sucks.
115-120 is o.k for a 1/4 mile run though?
140 didnt take much longer, but i get it, and, i dont want to melt pistons :eek::eek::eek:

Edit for more info

Egt's only got up to 1550° iirc, maybe i didn't catch the peak though?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
120 in the 1/4 isn't good on any stock bottom end. Do what you want but if I am playing/testing, I hardly ever go over 110 tops. Usually 100 is enough for a decent log

The way I look at it is, it takes me around 7.5 seconds to get to 100, that isn't a real long time to WOT, but running 140 is going to take at least double that in your truck, which to me is a long time to hold WOT.

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the info, your testing/logging procedure sounds like a smart mans plan for a stock engine. I feel at a loss cuz i don't really have the experience to KNOW what is truly "safe"
Or how long is too long @ wot and so forth, this is why I'm a post whore:D:roflmao:

So 15-20 seconds is a long time to hold wot on any tune, or just a max effort tune, is this irregardless of egt's? Or is there an egt magic number for that will allow a longer or indifferent amount of time @ wot?

Thanks again for the info.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I personally think anything over what your truck will do in the 1/4 is a pointless risk. Most trucks on this site will run at least in the 13's, on a 13 second run your egt's are probably in the danger zone for only 3-5 seconds.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Adeso, good point, hadn't thought about that.
I will run some logs, i would like to know how things are doin.
I did drop rail pressure (p0087 or somethin like that) on a wot run, happened at 130+mph, top speed of the run was 137 and i let off immediately when i saw the engine light come on and then checked and cleared the code, it hasn't happened again, but i haven't gone that fast again either.
I made the mistake of porting both rail fittings, so i bet that has somethin to do with it, i am running the ppe shim though.

You're gonna be a member of Team Cracked Piston soon. It's not a fun club to be in. I hope your PCV is out of the intake. I advise that you think it over before you add more fuel to a charger that already runs hot and has high drive pressure. Unless you're ready for that motor build...

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Thanks for the info, your testing/logging procedure sounds like a smart mans plan for a stock engine. I feel at a loss cuz i don't really have the experience to KNOW what is truly "safe"
Or how long is too long @ wot and so forth, this is why I'm a post whore:D:roflmao:

So 15-20 seconds is a long time to hold wot on any tune, or just a max effort tune, is this irregardless of egt's? Or is there an egt magic number for that will allow a longer or indifferent amount of time @ wot?

Thanks again for the info.

When you start going over 100mph in a 7000 lb brick the amount of energy needed to continue gaining speed increases exponentially. It puts a huge strain on a motor that was not designed for that high rpm task. I feel a 50-100 pull or 0-80 is a good test and can be very useful for datalogs, while not putting the truck or other people at risk.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Yep, 0 to 80 will give you most of the info you need, maybe 1 or 2 times 0-whatever your 1/4 trap is. Don't want to let those pistons get heat soaked. I look at trying to keep my truck under 1200 as much as a I can DDing and towing, and everytime I go above 1350 I'm taking life out of the engine.
I'm seeing about 1550 at the end of the 1/4, my injectors are just too small to run the uS I want :mad:

adrenaholc1

Apr 5, 2011
Butler Co. OHIO
I got my $ on robs tunes. Can't say enough when his 150hp stock tranny tune put me at 13.1x with only mods listed in my sig. Lift pump, straight pipe, stock air filter, no weight reduction. However Iirc importkilla went 12.78 with nicks tunes (i think ed would have to clarify) reg cab lmm and similar mods except the truck was new with a fresh converter to abuse. I looked everywhere for a 12 sec tune only crew cab when i ran my fastest times and had luck finding one. Not to say they weren't out there.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
You're gonna be a member of Team Cracked Piston soon. It's not a fun club to be in. I hope your PCV is out of the intake. I advise that you think it over before you add more fuel to a charger that already runs hot and has high drive pressure. Unless you're ready for that motor build...

X2
Then we are going to have a "So and so tuner sucks because my shit blew up" thread.
If anyone wanted to know what these tunes would do I would compare a few things..
Dyno graphs
MPG
Exhaust opacity
The rest is really just opinion.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
X2
Then we are going to have a "So and so tuner sucks because my shit blew up" thread.
If anyone wanted to know what these tunes would do I would compare a few things..
Dyno graphs
MPG
Exhaust opacity
The rest is really just opinion.

No tuner will get blamed if i break something, this is just the nature of the "modding" beast.
All things you just listed were mentioned in my opening and second post:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I think you need to check your EGT gauge if it only hit 1550 on a 0-140 mph blast with a 4094VNT.:thumb:

Robs tune barely hit 1400° form 0-110. My egt gauge is fine, i think some of the air flow mods i have are helping considerably ie. bigger turbo, manifolds and up pipes, down pipe and ram air w/scoop, and to answer another's comment the pcv is re-routed into the downpipe. The bd intercooler is helping too im sure

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the input here guys, i will definitely not be doing any extended speed runs anytime soon.

And for the record, no one else was on the roads where i do this, the only one i put in danger is myself, my truck and maybe an animal that would be on the road, GOD help me that would be horrible!

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I think you need to check your EGT gauge if it only hit 1550 on a 0-140 mph blast with a 4094VNT.:thumb:

I noticed right away that my gts were cooler with the 4094avant, i did an intercooler and manifolds at the same time, my egt's seem to be very docile and stay below 1000° under normal driving,

I need t install a drive pressure gauge, i really want to see whats going on there, maybe ill get to it in the next week before i hit the dyno....does anyone have a suggestion as to what gauge to use(isspro/autometer etc)