Are we going about it all wrong?

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I think once you get past the point of basic bolt on parts like a tune, streetable turbo(s), etc., yes we're doing it wrong. But it is pretty fun. Up until then I think it's a good idea.

To say you're going to go past that and have a 9 or 10 second truck that tows, gets good mileage, and is reliable in the long-term is a complete pipe dream :rofl: Of course this assumes it actually gets ran at the track, sled pulling or whatever.

Those of you know people with fast trucks see how much time they spend up on racks with the transmissions out or engines being worked on, etc. It's more than gets posted on the internet.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
We need to start thinking "light". Less weight is free hp, and you can only do so much with a 3/4 ton truck.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
We need to start thinking "light". Less weight is free hp, and you can only do so much with a 3/4 ton truck.

Losing the rear bumper and spare I'm all for. But gutting an interior or running zero bed floor is too much for me. But you bring a valid point Tom.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Yep! I know the sloppymechanics guys. :D

Last time I saw them they were still building the 5.0 mustang though, I havent been down there in quite a while.

I wish I knew them! Just the stuff they have done and posted on their sight is hilarious.
I'm seriously contemplating selling my truck for an RC/SB 1500. I'm tired of the prices for everything on a dmax. Already did some shopping for a 1500

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328992970.070024.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328992970.070024.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 43

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I wish I knew them! Just the stuff they have done and posted on their sight is hilarious.
I'm seriously contemplating selling my truck for an RC/SB 1500. I'm tired of the prices for everything on a dmax. Already did some shopping for a 1500

damn, that thing has an am/fm radio and a vortex? Does it come with a steering wheel too?

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Man this just brought back some memories! I just did a quick google search and this truck was making over 1000 rwhp back in 2006. If I'm not mistaken, its the same guys that would go on to build the fairmont mentioned above.

I've been tossing around the idea of a fun street truck again. I was thinking lb7 with a zf6 regular cab shortbed. It would be a 500 horse street machine. After reading this thread, a similar truck but with a v8 would work too. Only thing is the diesel should get mid to high 20's on fuel mileage whereas the v8 would get high teens.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It would be a 500 horse street machine. After reading this thread, a similar truck but with a v8 would work too. Only thing is the diesel should get mid to high 20's on fuel mileage whereas the v8 would get high teens.

I thought the duramax and the LSx's were both V8's?

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I thought the duramax and the LSx's were both V8's?

Touche' Mr Benjamin!

I should have stated that the diesel v8 would get double the fuel mileage of the gasser v8. I've had both and am pretty confident in my statement ;)

All that good info and a link to Parish's twin turbo 1000 rwhp lsx truck and that's what you feel the need to quote me on? But I understand. I tend to pick apart statements the same way you do. Kinda fun actually and completely takes people off guard and causes them to loose track of what they were talking about in the first place

Cheers!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
To be honest three years ago that is what I was doing. I wasn't going to spend 20K on go fast equipment for my Duramax and I started to build a car except the economy stuck it to me which ruined that!

I found me a light car (roller) which I knew would have ended up under 3000 pounds when completed. It had a complete fiberglass front clip. Things were good so I put a ton of money into the body which was in good shape but I wanted it perfect. Lots of fab work into the front clip and lower fenders. Forgetaboutit,makes me sad......

The nuts and bolts is I had a 340 professionally built locally,I wanted the best. The motor was bored and stroked to make 416 cubic inches with all Scat forged internals. I supplied (came with car) a good flowing port and polished set of heads. Motor was set up to run Pump fuel and dyno at 500 HP and 500 feet pound of torque which is big block numbers out of a small block all for $8000 bucks. I could have easily trimmed a couple G's off the engine build IF I went some where else also.

So for less than 20k I could have had a IMO a 10 second car for what it would have cost me just for a motor in my truck. I now we are talking GM here and parts are way more less expensive then Mopar parts also. This is just an example