Are we going about it all wrong?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
If you take a stock Dmax, throw a $400 tuner on it, you have about 400rwhp (~530HP at the crank). No other changes necessary.

Where are you going to find a 530HP pickup that will actually tow anything?

This is what got us all hooked, but it's usually down hill from there or short after. Most usually take it too far and our trucks are either broke all the time or become useless in terms of a work truck.

Nothing can match a diesel with just a tune and exhaust for money and what we can do with it IMO. but building all out race trucks or street/race diesel trucks doesn't make as much sense to me as the cheap gassers

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
how long have people been building LS engines? A hellava lot longer than people have been building duramax's/diesels in general. I think the fact that the diesel performance scene is still fairly young is why parts are so expensive. Whats the industry going to look like in 30 years?

That being said, Im with trent. I like anything fast. I dont care if its a power chair. If it can put you back in the seat, i like it.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
what would it cost to build a 10 second extended cab short bed 5.3 chevy vs an extended cab short bed duramax?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
This is what got us all hooked, but it's usually down hill from there or short after. Most usually take it too far and our trucks are either broke all the time or become useless in terms of a work truck.

Nothing can match a diesel with just a tune and exhaust for money and what we can do with it IMO. but building all out race trucks or street/race diesel trucks doesn't make as much sense to me as the cheap gassers

x2

how long have people been building LS engines? A hellava lot longer than people have been building duramax's/diesels in general. I think the fact that the diesel performance scene is still fairly young is why parts are so expensive. Whats the industry going to look like in 30 years?

That being said, Im with trent. I like anything fast. I dont care if its a power chair. If it can put you back in the seat, i like it.

Well around here diesels are past there prime, atleast looking at street trucks. 2008 was the good stuff, now its just abunch of raggedy ass trucks clouding out intersections but there too ***** to race you. Than ricer fly by you when you get off. Pulling was its funnest than too, seems like the drag racing scene is getting better but I'm afraid this sport is on its way down.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
That right there is why the "average" guy loves diesels, he can put his tuner on and still tow his camper, sleds, car hauler every weekend. where to get that extra 150hp out of a gas engine is a few thousand dollars and a full motor build, vs plugging in a tuner and away you go.

Its the guys that are doing full motor builds on there d max that realise a race engine gas truck would be cheaper and faster. but you cant tow with the race truck

Not quite. These guys bought everything. Spent a little over 3k and cranked out 1200hp. Few thousand for 150hp is far fetched.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Little off subject... Dont you have to run huge injectors to run E85 in boosted stuff.

Yes... approx 30% larger. Actually you can get away with a little less... because you can run leaner under WOT so not quite 30% but you get the idea.

I'm running Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors this time around on my car, with raised pressure from my A1000 to get them up in the 1150cc range.. still going to be what limits my power output I'm afraid.... should make enough power to go 10's though and that's all that I need hp capability wise.

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
My cousin had a 09 GMC 1500 ECSB with the 6.0/6l80 that he put a $6000 magnacharger on. It ran good but he got tired of the single digit gas mileage. Now he has a 11 GMC 2500HD CCSB with a tune, intake & exhaust that runs as good, gets better mileage and can tow more.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

The gen III small block was introduced in '97, and the aftermarket industry jumped to support it. The Duramax was introduced in '01 and it took a couple of years for the aftermarket to really start building high performance parts for it. I would say the gasser has maybe an 8 year head start, but I don't think that has anything to do with how expensive a diesel is compared to a gasser.

what would it cost to build a 10 second extended cab short bed 5.3 chevy vs an extended cab short bed duramax?
You could buy a whole truck and make it run 10s for less than what you would pay just to a motor build to be able to run 10s with a Duramax.

I hope no one thinks I'm talking down on a diesel. I love my truck, and I wouldn't trade it for any gasser pickup. I just was amazed at how cheap and "easy" it is to get power out of those motors, especially a little ol' 4.8. I would really like to see how that motor looked after a year of racing.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard

Idk about the 5.3... But these guys built a 1200hp motor on $3k.
Ummmmm.... $3k gets you 8 connecting rods for a dmax. They already have a running motor cranking out 1200hp at that point.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
The gen III small block was introduced in '97, and the aftermarket industry jumped to support it. The Duramax was introduced in '01 and it took a couple of years for the aftermarket to really start building high performance parts for it. I would say the gasser has maybe an 8 year head start, but I don't think that has anything to do with how expensive a diesel is compared to a gasser.

You could buy a whole truck and make it run 10s for less than what you would pay just to a motor build to be able to run 10s with a Duramax.

I hope no one thinks I'm talking down on a diesel. I love my truck, and I wouldn't trade it for any gasser pickup. I just was amazed at how cheap and "easy" it is to get power out of those motors, especially a little ol' 4.8. I would really like to see how that motor looked after a year of racing.

Why go a year racing the same one? Just buy a junk yard short block for $300 and have at it again.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
[YOUTUBE]Qk9uU_3VHT0[/YOUTUBE]

IIRC these guys bought this ~200k miles junkyard 5.3 for 300 bucks or something like that...they never were able to kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Idk about the 5.3... But these guys built a 1200hp motor on $3k.
Ummmmm.... $3k gets you 8 connecting rods for a dmax. They already have a running motor cranking out 1200hp at that point.

thats absolutley crazy. 1200 bucks for 3k? why would anyone build anything else lol

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why go a year racing the same one? Just buy a junk yard short block for $300 and have at it again.

Swapping motors would get old. I just wonder how well it would hold up at that power.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am done with my truck perfomance wise I don't want to spend $20,000 to run mid 11's.

My truck is nearly paid off so probably in the next year I will get the G8 from my wife and get her a new Grand Cherokee.

With a cam, long tubes & a tune the 6.0 will put out 450 whp and spank my truck for 2,000-2500 bucks invested

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Swapping motors would get old. I just wonder how well it would hold up at that power.

I agree fully. Ive pulled a few of these lm7's and installed just as many. They really are not bad to work on. A lot of space is under that hood. But yes it would get old. But the guys in the link ran 60 pulls on the motor. They say that a majority of them were at 1000hp+ that's more wot than you would see in a season. If not more then it's close. After the seasons over, throw in another one lol and if you use it as a street truck, I'm sure it will last longer just bc who drives into work with 1200hp at wot? It would see maybe 3-400 on a daily basis. If that.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
thats absolutley crazy. 1200 bucks for 3k? why would anyone build anything else lol

To to YouTube and search "Corey's turbo truck" or go to sloppymechanics.com (his shops site) they put a s475 under the cab of the truck, and sprayed it with a stock motor all the way to an 11.3 I believe.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
[YOUTUBE]Qk9uU_3VHT0[/YOUTUBE]

IIRC these guys bought this ~200k miles junkyard 5.3 for 300 bucks or something like that...they never were able to kill it.

BoostedGT's car is probably the baddest street car around (at the start of that video). That car rolls, I'd LOVE to see it against one of the cdub dsm's out of Louisville!

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Those guys are awesome. They are part of the whole sloppy mechanic shop. I visited their website after watching their truck run down the track. The threw a 150 shot at a gran marquis and put it on te dyno just because. Then played on the streets. Then they have the bad ass truck with stock motor, and they also blew up some other motor by throwing spray at it. Seem like some cool guys lol