Anyone running 35's

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I had 35-13.50-18's on 18 by 12's with 8"s of lift and would get some rub occasionally when turned to the lock. I just went back to a 33-15.50-18 tire. The overall gearing is better with the 33's than the 35's but the cruising at 80 mph is better with the 35's. Mileage went down with the 35's about 3/4 to 1 miles per gallon. I went with the latest tires because of a price I just could not pass on.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yours rubs because the fabtech lifts increase the front track width and make it rub more. My cousin had a fabtech 8" that rubbed with the same wheels and tires as my dad's truck with 6" RCD and no rubbing.

Um I have a 6" Fabtech, 35 x 12.50/18 Cooper M/T's. No rubbing. I know 3 other guys running RCD, Cognito, and Pro Comp lifts all 6"-no rubbing.

You need to trim the front bottom part of the bumpers on the classic bodystyles as well as the front bottom part of the inner fender. If your rubbing anywhere else, then you have the wrong offset on your rims, or your suspension is not set up properly.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sweet,Thanks all!!!;) So I guess 35's will work as long as you have a positive offset. I'm ASSuming positive offset means the wheels are offset towards the outside of the fender well??

If so, should I go with 315's or 35x12.50's?
Also, I was looking at the new BFG KM2, which are pricey, but have read really good things about them as far as tire wear, and the easibility to balance. Any input?

I'd get the 35's Joey. I am also thining about going with the KM2's. The Cooper MT's I currently have wear like shit.

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
Yours rubs because the fabtech lifts increase the front track width and make it rub more. My cousin had a fabtech 8" that rubbed with the same wheels and tires as my dad's truck with 6" RCD and no rubbing.

Nothing to do with the lift kit I run on the truck. I run wheels that have a lot of back spacing or negative offset. Thanks:)

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Nothing to do with the lift kit I run on the truck. I run wheels that have a lot of back spacing or negative offset. Thanks:)

Um that fabtech you have on the truck sets the track width out alot further than most lifts which is like having an extremely high neg offset which paired with a neg offset rim cause them to stick out of the fenders a whole lot and rub quite a buit too.

Last edited:

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If you are worried about size why don't you go with something in between like a 295/70 or a 305/70. I have some 295/70 Nittos for sale too:D, too bad you are so far away

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Um that fabtech you have on the truck sets the track width out alot further than most lifts which is like having an extremely high neg offset which paired with a neg offset rim cause them to stick out of the fenders a whole lot and rub quite a buit too.

My buddy has a Pro-Comp Lift and it stick out 5/8" farther on each side than my Fabtech does. His doesn't rub either with his 35x12.50/16's.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
My buddy has a Pro-Comp Lift and it stick out 5/8" farther on each side than my Fabtech does. His doesn't rub either with his 35x12.50/16's.

There's no way the front tires of a Pro Comp lifted truck stick farther out than a Fabtech. It's the rims. If they aren't exactly the same rims, you can't compare the 2.

Why?

The Fabtech lift uses an aftermarket spindle. That's where the increased track width comes from. Hince the CV spacer.

Pro Comp uses the factory spendle and there is no need for the spacer because the track width is not changed.

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Just when you think you have it all fig out...Back to the drawing board. I'm going to see if BFG has a 305/70. I would have surley thought that with an offset towards the frame rail would rub worse than being offset towards the fenders. Shows how much I know about wheel combo's.

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state

ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!! Hints, are the spacer they provide in the kit for the cv's. I have very little rub, only noticable when I'm turned hard, and hit a bump or a dip. The biggest reason because of this, is like I said, from the negative offset wheels. Thanks again.:)

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I still haven't made up my damn mind. My only concerns are that 35's are going to look to big for the fender wells, without installing Green key's, and that I'm going to have to trim or beat in the Pinch Weld at the bottom of the fender due to the wheels sticking out so far. I'm wondering if a 305 or 33 would look/work better.

Wish I could see a non lifted truck with 35's on wheels that stick out a bit.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Some pics... see if these worked I dont know how to upload anything.

Those are 325/65R20's.. which like I sad measured about 36" tall and 12-13" wide.

The only rubbing I had was in reverse at full lock when I hit bumps. Or if I was making a fairly sharp corner and pretty much almost got the front airbourne, it would jounce and rub a bit.

I have heard of and see several people do 35's with no lift, but usually pretty narrow and tucked in the wheel wells.

on edit... that gas station is in nevada... that beach was in Santa Monica, LA... and that massaging recliner was traded to a heavy set middle aged woman north east of Lac la Biche Alberta for the sum of 3 days campground fees(15 bucks) ( I was throwing on it on the fire and she said she wanted it, so I sold it to her hahah!)

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 18
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 18
  • truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: