Anyone play in the stock market for real?

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I personally think it is a buyers market just wondered what everyone else thought about the stock market? :confused:

Feel free to say what stocks are buyers or sellers etc etc. I am just look to play a LITTLE on my own and hopefully not loose it all. :)

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I personally think it is a buyers market just wondered what everyone else thought about the stock market? :confused:

Feel free to say what stocks are buyers or sellers etc etc. I am just look to play a LITTLE on my own and hopefully not loose it all. :)

a friend of mine has been trading for about 2 years, took lots of expensive classes, spent hours and hours of reading... and for awhile was up a considerable percentage but now he has basically lost everything due to the market being so volatile. It is so hard to gauge what the market is going to do with the Dow losses 1,000 points in 2 days? I just started trading on Scottrade and made a little bit of money but just wasn't something I was comfortable in doing given the current condition of the market. Also you need to start out with 25,000$ to be able to "Day Trade" otherwise you cannot make multple trades daily, and you have to hold a stock for a certain period of time I want to say a 12 hours?(in your starting with anything less that 25,000$ Also say you start out with 25,000$ and you have a bad day your account will be temporarily suspended until your account has 25,000$ back into it. So in other words ideally you need about 30,000$+ to "Day Trade" effectively. You could also "Borrow on Margin" But unless you have the money to pay back DO NOT DO IT!!!!

If your looking into Long Term trading that might be a little more viable option but watching CNN, news channels, and having conversations with several very successful people(traders) it is not a great time to start trading lots of money unless your experienced. But it is def. a great thing to learn and in a few years when our economy rebounds(hopefully) you would have some valuable skills.

this is a GREAT book to read, and reread over and over again.
http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Gui...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228084686&sr=1-1

do research and take classes, the classes are proven but are very expensive. One class my friend took was a 2 day class and I believe 4,000$ was the price. I believe this certain group has classes all over the country i'll get the name from my friend. Good Luck though

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I am just look to play a LITTLE on my own and hopefully not loose it all. :)

Chances are you will lose, that is part of the learing curve I was trading, Mosaic, Apple, Fuel.... mineral companies several months ago were being traded a lot but if I was you I would turn on CNN and watch and you will understand how risky it is right to be trading. The statistics of people successfully trading and profiting versus people losing is HUGE HUGE HUGE the odds are stacked against us the little guys. Even the big Hedge Fund groups are losing lots of money for their clients... they are trading hundreds of millions

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
I buy and sell constantly, over 3 million worth in just this quarter so far.

Want a tip? Monday morning buy all the Ford you can (symbol F) it will double or triple by the beginning of the following week. Buy it as close to $3 as you can but not over $4-$4.5 max. I hate Ford as a car company overall but that doesn't mean I won't make money off of them as an investment. I am already up over $9k on Ford since last Tuesday.

As for Daytrading, under rule T you must maintain $25k in equity or you will only be able to do 3 round trips in 5 days, a round trip being a buy and sell in the same day. Holding to the next day and then selling is considered a liquidation. There is no time limit otherwise that you must hold a stock, you can buy it and then sell it instantly if you like. If you do 4 round trips in a 5 day trading period without $25k you will get a warning letter, next time a 90 day suspension and the next time your account will be closed, no trading for you! But you don't need $25k to trade, just put in 2-3-5k and have at it!

Right now the market is very very volatile and I do not recommend holding hardly any stock overnight unless you are truly going long as in a year or more. This means only a few round trips with a smaller account. Right now only F, GM, and C can be safely held overnight as they are pure rockets on the climb. that may change soon for C though.

It doesn't matter if the market is up or down, you can still make money. Go long when things are rising and short them when they are declining. I have become very accurate on when to get in and out of a stock, but do be careful and remember my main saying: "Bulls make money, Bears make money, Pigs get slaughtered".

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I have always heard pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.

I may or maynot start this week, because tomarrow starts deer hunting week. It might not be a good week as I won't have much time to baby sit. \

Anymore advise? I was thinking a little Ford or GM buying in low, and a few other companies to try and diversify a little. I don't want GM to go backrupt and be ****ed but I am not gambling my life savings, just play with fire and hoping not to get burnt.

So Scott Trade is the cheapest at $7 per trade? But only 5 rounds per weeK?

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
:rofl: My dad has one. They are not near as big of money makers as I thought by the time you pay someone (yourself or otherwise) for cleaning up the stuff left behind.:eek:

thats called a write-off :D If you only have one rental, it can suck you dry, if you have a good handful of rentals, it isnt that bad, the good ones carry the bad ones.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I had one a few years ago that child social sevices came down on, the people left town, it literally took 10+ trailers to haul off all the crap left behind, there were walking trails around the trash to get to room to room, and this house isnt 800 s/f. Five years later and its one of my better money makers ;), just takes getting the right renter.

I also had a move-out several years ago that was roach infested (when I entered the front door) raoches rained down on me. Dishes left in the cabinets were literally glued down with roach crap :barf:

It really amazes me how some people live

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
I buy and sell constantly, over 3 million worth in just this quarter so far.

Want a tip? Monday morning buy all the Ford you can (symbol F) it will double or triple by the beginning of the following week. Buy it as close to $3 as you can but not over $4-$4.5 max. I hate Ford as a car company overall but that doesn't mean I won't make money off of them as an investment. I am already up over $9k on Ford since last Tuesday.

As for Daytrading, under rule T you must maintain $25k in equity or you will only be able to do 3 round trips in 5 days, a round trip being a buy and sell in the same day. Holding to the next day and then selling is considered a liquidation. There is no time limit otherwise that you must hold a stock, you can buy it and then sell it instantly if you like. If you do 4 round trips in a 5 day trading period without $25k you will get a warning letter, next time a 90 day suspension and the next time your account will be closed, no trading for you! But you don't need $25k to trade, just put in 2-3-5k and have at it!

Right now the market is very very volatile and I do not recommend holding hardly any stock overnight unless you are truly going long as in a year or more. This means only a few round trips with a smaller account. Right now only F, GM, and C can be safely held overnight as they are pure rockets on the climb. that may change soon for C though.

It doesn't matter if the market is up or down, you can still make money. Go long when things are rising and short them when they are declining. I have become very accurate on when to get in and out of a stock, but do be careful and remember my main saying: "Bulls make money, Bears make money, Pigs get slaughtered".

How long are you planning to hold Ford? Any recommended readings for beginning investors?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I had one a few years ago that child social sevices came down on, the people left town, it literally took 10+ trailers to haul off all the crap left behind, there were walking trails around the trash to get to room to room, and this house isnt 800 s/f. Five years later and its one of my better money makers ;), just takes getting the right renter.

I also had a move-out several years ago that was roach infested (when I entered the front door) raoches rained down on me. Dishes left in the cabinets were literally glued down with roach crap :barf:

It really amazes me how some people live

Larry, back when I was younger I had to clean out a house that was just as you say "gross". The house was actually I nice house its just the people that lived there trashed it and just flat out didn't clean. I pulled my loader to that house and brought the tri axle. I had one load compacted with the loader bucket.

Dirtymax85

Sep 12, 2008
Palestine, Illinois
Just exactly how much money do you have to have to play in the stock market??? I was thinking about buying a few hundred dollars worth of ford or gm and let it ride and see what happens. If it goes up a bunch good for me if it goes belly up......well I still aint really hurt. Just wondering what it takes?

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I think there is a minimum, but not sure? I am going to start at $500 I think and go from there. A little divide and conquer, I think. No panic, if I can make a little, I'll pull out the profit and invest some of it elsewhere. I am not to keen on staying in one place to long with the market instability. I am waiting on my account verification amounts. Then I'll be good to go. It looks like today was a good day to hold off.:baby:

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I've been in and out of the market for a few years and to tell you the truth, I like commercial real estate better. You still deal with tenants but the quality is a bit better. I also like bonds. Although they're not as glamorous as stocks, they have outperformed my stock account by a large margin.

When my son was born (98), I bought AOL for 20 and ten years later I sold it for 18.
When my daughter was born (2000) I bought GE for 50 and 7 years later I sold it for 27.

Everyone told me stick with a blue chip company and keep it for the long haul...Yeah right.

You can see how much luck I've had.....