Anyone own a 300 ultra mag??

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
I agree. Ignorance is dangerous. It's also cureable.

USMC/ARMY FM 3-22.9

Pay attention to figure 4-6. The one labeled "firing". That section of the manual should solve your confusion on the cycle of operations for the M16x (AR-x).

That picture and description illustrate exactly why any compensator, or supressor will never reduce any actual recoil. Specifically the part about the weapon cycling before the round exits the muzzle. The Army and Marine Corps have to date spent literally millions to make these things work correctly. So I appreciate everything you've read and all, but I'm going to go with what's in the manual that trains hundreds of thousands of US and foreign military service members every day since the weapn's implementation.
If you're still determined to prove me wrong, feel free to put a digital pressure scale behind the buttstock of any AR/M16 and record on video what the scale reads with and without a compensator using the same ammunition.
Other than that I wish you the best of luck with all of those weapons I've never read about or shot or whatever.

This is a link to a copy of that manual.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-22-9/c04.htm#4_2

Actually that is not what it says.

"d. Firing (Figure 4-6). With a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked, and the selector on SEMI, the firer squeezes the trigger. The trigger rotates on the trigger pin, depressing the nose of the trigger, and disengaging the notch on the bottom of the hammer. The hammer spring drives the hammer forward. The hammer strikes the head of the firing pin, driving the firing pin through the bolt into the primer of the round. When the primer is struck by the firing pin, it ignites and causes the powder in the cartridge to ignite. The gas generated by the rapid burning of the powder forces the projectile from the cartridge and propels it through the barrel. After the projectile has passed the gas port (located on the upper surface of the barrel under the front sight, Figure 4-5) and before it leaves the barrel, some gas enters the gas port and moves into the gas tube. The gas tube directs the gas into the bolt carrier. It passes through the key downward into a space between the rear of the carrier's bolt cavity and the rear of the bolt itself. The gas then expands. The bolt is locked into the barrel extension and unable to move forward, and the carrier is thus forced to the rear by the expanding gas."

It does not say that the action unlocks while bullet is still in barrel.

Again, read what a barrel manufacturer says:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
I made my longest shot on a deer with a rifle I built in .300RUM. It was a Rem. 700 SS action, Lilja fluted HV barrel, Jewel trigger, Leupold 6x18 SS scope with top target knob, and a HS precision stock. One shot at 812yds.

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
I made my longest shot on a deer with a rifle I built in .300RUM. It was a Rem. 700 SS action, Lilja fluted HV barrel, Jewel trigger, Leupold 6x18 SS scope with top target knob, and a HS precision stock. One shot at 812yds.

Sounds like a nice set-up!

We use Rem 700 actions on our custom guns. Years ago we had a .243 Ackley built with a Lilja barrel. Set up similar to yours. I have seen a Spencer custom built with a Lilja barrel win the Egg Shoot in N.C. several years ago. The guy hit the egg suspended from a string at 500 yards.
We know use Clay Spencers barrels since he makes his own now and stopped using Lilja.
Longest shot I've seen like that was my dads, 618 yds on a ground hog with a 6mm BR.

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
I typically shoot a 6mmBR and 6mm Rem. for rockchucks. I've made some 600+yd shots with them and 800+yd shots with my .308 Baer, .30-8mm Mag, and .30-.338's. Rockchucks are fun to shoot and they keep you practiced up for big game.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Grab a Weatherby 338-378 Mag take brake off apply to nuts pull trigger, then try it with the brake on and you will have your proof. If you have ever shot a gun and had a brain in your head you would know this. It's not rocket science. You've been fed BS.

Ok but it is "felt" recoil not actual rifle recoil which cannot be taken away no matter what device you put on it. I believe thats the point is that it suppresses the felt recoil. Like I put on a limbsaver on the buttpad of my weatherby and my shoulder felt less impact from the recoil that the rifle produces it doesn't mean the rifle has less recoil just that I felt less of it.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
I typically shoot a 6mmBR and 6mm Rem. for rockchucks. I've made some 600+yd shots with them and 800+yd shots with my .308 Baer, .30-8mm Mag, and .30-.338's. Rockchucks are fun to shoot and they keep you practiced up for big game.

I bought a 240 weatherby mag in a custom outfitter, the ammo is expensive but it is fun to shoot.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Ok but it is "felt" recoil not actual rifle recoil which cannot be taken away no matter what device you put on it. I believe thats the point is that it suppresses the felt recoil. Like I put on a limbsaver on the buttpad of my weatherby and my shoulder felt less impact from the recoil that the rifle produces it doesn't mean the rifle has less recoil just that I felt less of it.

The limb saver reduces what you feel IE it absorbs some of the shock. That is NOT how a suppressor works. A suppressor reduces the velocity of the gases exiting the muzzle, after all that is what pushes the gun back(recoil)

Last edited:

Bobcat

Dec 5, 2008
Sounds like a nice set-up!

I have seen a Spencer custom built with a Lilja barrel win the Egg Shoot in N.C. several years ago. The guy hit the egg suspended from a string at 500 yards.
You talking about the one that BullsEye on Highway 10 hosts? The biggest thing to reduce felt recoil is heavier gun, lighter bullets and lesser powder. Next would be recoil pad and muzzle brake done right. The design of the stock can have an impact also like a Monte Carlo stock versus just a standard one. It also helps to have a little meat on ones bones. lol

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y

Thats what Im talking about:thumb: I have made shots 500+ with my 30-06 but it really seems like Im stretching it out at those distances. I think the 300 will do a little better;)

MANDOMAX

Twin Turbo SneekyMax
Apr 11, 2009
Sylmar, Ca
If recoil is an issue, you bought the wrong caliber rifle.
I have a 300 ultra mag Sendero which I have learned to shoot and deal with recoil.
The fluted bull barrel and stock helps but none the less practice tight groups at short range will help your long range shooting.

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa

A brake will dramatically reduce actual recoil but with the trade off of a excessively loud report. Felt recoil is when the gas surge is spread out over time so it feels like a push instead of a kick. The total energy of the recoil is the same, but spread out over a longer time span.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
If recoil is an issue, you bought the wrong caliber rifle.
I have a 300 ultra mag Sendero which I have learned to shoot and deal with recoil.
The fluted bull barrel and stock helps but none the less practice tight groups at short range will help your long range shooting.

Well its not so much an issue as it is a new (To me) gun that I want to sight in and get comfortable shooting 600+ yards with. I dont have a problem firing off a round or two, but putting a box of shells through it will leave a mark no matter how big or tuff you think you are;)

MANDOMAX

Twin Turbo SneekyMax
Apr 11, 2009
Sylmar, Ca
Yup! 10 rounds is all Im good for before I start to develope a flinch.Then I call it a day. My groupings start to open up and what good is that anyway. Well enjoy the new toy!

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
A .300RUM is nothing compared to a .375RUM, .416 Rem, or .458 Lott. I kept building bigger calibers until I couldn't tolerate the recoil and I stopped at the Lott. I hunt with my .416 Rem. all the time and have shot many groups under 1/2" (some under 3/8") with it but the Lott is in another league.

Just about every rifle I own has a muzzlebreak on it (kind of a bonus when you do your own gunsmithing). I hunt with them on but I also carry ear plugs everywhere I go. I've had my ears ring for hours without ear plugs and learned my lesson. Most of the time I'll put the left one in (shooting right handed and the left ear is closest to the muzzle) when I see anything I might shoot. You can still hear out of your right ear and if you forget the plug for the right ear it's not nearly as bad as the left ear. Most of the time it will only ring for a few minutes if at all.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Recoil is dependant on the shooter. I have friends that cant handle shooting a days worth of 3'' steel, while I personally am not bothered at all. If you are flinching youre not focusing on the target, and as far as Nathan building a .458 lott well that thing is just going to be a jackhammer no matter what. Muzzle hop only really matters to me for multiple shots such as with a shotgun, but muzzle brakes help tremendously with recoil

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
You talking about the one that BullsEye on Highway 10 hosts?

Not sure, it was in Hickory, NC. A long weekend for some of us. Its been several years since I went.

As far as recoil goes, I'm not intersested in 30+ pounds of recoil force. Some people are. It's just a matter of opinion in my book. If a gun has too much recoil for a person and they flinch everytime they squeeze the trigger, how accurate is that? No matter how good the gun shoots.
In my opinion, a well placed shot from a (say) .308 or 30-06 will net better results than a poorly placed shot from a .300 or a .270WSM. This is based on game in the U.S. of course.
Bigger does not mean better in firearms.

kenny_baker

Aug 5, 2011
300 RUM recoil

many people that dont own and shoot a 300 RUM dont understand what your going through. It's doesnt shoot like a 30-06 or a 270. They are a painful cartridge in a factory Remington 700 (something equvilant to being smacked by a 2x4). I've recently bought a fluted barrel with a break in it. (also hoping to cut down on the massive amount of barrel heat) It's great shooting from the bench. But, if you going to do any real world shooting (i.e. deer hunting) the break is gonna make the noise level nearly unbearable. I'm currently in the hunt for a lightweight suppressor. I'll post my findings at a later date. Consider yourself forwarned.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I've got one of those Howa 1500's in a .300 WIN MAG on a Hogue stock and it's a tack driver out to 600 with 145gr.